Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the "Passive Cellular Antennas" you can buy for about $20 in most automotive sections work or not? It is hard to believe that a simple antenna mounted on both sides of the glass would do much good. Is the glass really blocking that much signal? Anyway, judging from the other threads I figured someone here would know.

Thanks,

·
Registered
112 Posts
My understanding is that you experience about a 10db loss in signal strength from an externally mounted antenna as compared with the typical antenna supplied with the handset. Whether the "passive" antenna you have seen advertised is of benefit, you would have to obtain the detailed specs (if available).

·
Registered
127 Posts
A Friend has one

My friend has one and it seem to help his reception a great deal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This 10db loss of signal is bad right? If so, why would you want to have an exteral antenna at all (forgive me for my ignorance, I don't know much about this subject.) I think this thing said it gained 3db. Do you think that could be possible from and external antenna glued to the outside glass with a shorter antenna glued to the inside of the glass?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've wondered about this myself. Could you please post your results?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Sure.

An the little gold things you can stick on the phones give you another 10dB.

Put 6 or 7 around the car and pretty soon, you've got another 80dB.

I've seen nothing that works other than hard wired external antennas....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I figured, but I don't have enough of a technical background to know for sure or not. From what I have seen on this board, there seem to be a lot of people with a lot of knowledge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts