Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2008 MDX with 104,000Km on the dial. GOOD CAR.

I'm in the process of doing my: plugs, coolant flush, brakes and oil change.

Question I have is which plugs are you guys finding are the best for these vehicles, and do I just buy them and pop them in or is there some gap measuring tool I need? I always thought Plugs came ready to go out of the box.

Disclosure: 500,000 miles of diesel ownership so the engine bay of the MDX looks almost entirely ancient Greek to me...and...believe it or not...I don't think I've ever actually installed a spark plug in my life!!! Anyways whatever.

Second is the issue I have with the running board or side step or whatever you call it. The Black Rubber coating on mine has started to peel off at one end. Wondering if anyone has a solution for this? Thinking some rubber coating or lacquer might do the trick.

Thanks.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Most plugs come pregapped now or just get some NGK multi-electrode ones and you won't have to worry about gapping them plus they'll last a lot longer.

As for the running board, I sprayed mine black. Didn't bother with plastidip as I wanted more of a sheen to it(armor all look) and since it was a high wear/traffic'd area not to mention low so it would easily pickup any kind of rock chips and such.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A wire feeler gauges is pretty cheap and you can double check the gap against the spec. As Joes2008MDX said, they come pre-gapped, I've never found a set of plugs that werent gapped correctly but I guess there's always a chance. Just make sure you pick up the correct part number for the MDX.

A decent socket set with a spark plug socket and some extensions is all you really need in terms of tools, and a torque wrench would be handy to confirm you have torqued them down correctly but many people just do it by feel.

Some people may say to coat the threads with anti-seize but most plug manufacturers say not to, I'm on the not coating side and I've never had a problem with seized plugs.

The back side plugs along the firewall are a little hard to reach, I found a little stepping stool useful for that.

You can also either unplug the battery for a bit (make sure you have your radio code) or pull the ECU fuse then reconnect and let your car idle til the radiator fans come on to force your car to re-learn idle with the new plugs, not 100% necessary as the car will re-learn on its on, just may take longer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts