Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Anyone out there with a 2001-2002 Service Manual? I still am having problems with my parking brake. It doesn't hold worth a damm!! Everytime I part to get the mail in my driveway on an incline, the car lurches backwards after I engage the parking brake and then put it in Drive. There must be significant pressure on the transmission pawl each time I do this. It probably is not good for the transmission pawl.

I could take it in for service but the nearest Acura dealer is 50 miles away in Ventura. I need to know where you access the adjutment nut on the cable so that I can tighten it. Is it near the parking brake itself or is it underneath the car at some location near the brake shoe in the back?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. :(

·
Registered
738 Posts
kjando said:
Hi,

Anyone out there with a 2001-2002 Service Manual? I still am having problems with my parking brake. It doesn't hold worth a damm!! Everytime I part to get the mail in my driveway on an incline, the car lurches backwards after I engage the parking brake and then put it in Drive. There must be significant pressure on the transmission pawl each time I do this. It probably is not good for the transmission pawl.

I could take it in for service but the nearest Acura dealer is 50 miles away in Ventura. I need to know where you access the adjutment nut on the cable so that I can tighten it. Is it near the parking brake itself or is it underneath the car at some location near the brake shoe in the back?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. :(
I remember waiting to find time to check out my factory service manual to deal with the same problem, all the while being very irritated. If you will just take a look at the the upper portion of the parking brake pedal, you will see that it doesn't need any tools to make an adjustment. Its just a simple knob/nut attached to the pedal. You do need to have the vehicle on a flat area to make this adjustment in order to relieve pressure on the the parking brake to turn the adjusting knob. If you need to pull in more than a half inch or so, or if you run out of threading, you should probably take in to the dealer and back out the adusting knob to the same position as you found it (when you're at the dealer, not on your sloped driveway), and let the technicians remove your rear tires and adjust the parking brake cable from the "star" adjuster, accessed through a hole in the hybrid disc/drum brake. The disc/drum adjustment is the proper way to make major adjustments to the parking brake, the knob at the pedal is only for minor adjustments. You can use it just fine until it runs out of threading.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Parking Brake Problem Fixed!!

:) Hey TheyCallMeBruce,

Thanks for your advice and information. I went outside and tightened up the nut as you suggested. I turned the knob so that about 1" of slack was taken up. I then gave the parking brake a live test by stopping on the sloped driveway right next to the mailbox.
The brakes finally held, both while my MDX was parked up the driveway and also down the driveway.

Again, great advice and I certainly appreciate your prompt post.

SB Guy.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
It has also been mentioned that it may help to "burn-in" the p-brake linings a bit by driving a short distance (1/2 mile or less) now and then with the parking brake partially engaged. Haven't tried it, but it makes sense in a perverse sort of way.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
frostyra said:
It has also been mentioned that it may help to "burn-in" the p-brake linings a bit by driving a short distance (1/2 mile or less) now and then with the parking brake partially engaged. Haven't tried it, but it makes sense in a perverse sort of way.
Ha! I think I;ve done that already, by accident. I took a while to get used to disengaging the brake before driving. Somehow it was a different mental process when I use my cars/trucks with a manual transmission. Maybe its the physical location. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
mdxxxx said:

Ha! I think I;ve done that already, by accident. I took a while to get used to disengaging the brake before driving. Somehow it was a different mental process when I use my cars/trucks with a manual transmission. Maybe its the physical location. :rolleyes:
Same thing here. I come up to the first stop after leaving home, maybe a 1/4 mi and there's that red brake light staring me in the face. I am cursing myself under my breath.
On our old mini van we had the same kind of emergency brake and it took pulling a lever to release it. Maybe because it held better I never forgot.
On the average I have been doing it about once every 4 or 5 times I start out. Very strange. But the fact it doesn't hold well makes it that much easier to forget.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts