Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my rear brakes pads and rotors last month also had a fun time with 2 frozen caliper pins. I noticed the backing plates/shields on the back were very rusted and flimsy on both sides. Did not think too much of it just bent them into shape a little better. Last night driving home from work I was getting an Evil squealinng coming from the back wheel. I was very close to home so limped in and discovered the upper part of the backing plate had rusted through and broke and wedged on the inside of the rim. Took off the tire and took out the 2 pieces of the plate.
Now I have been looking into what is involved with replacing these. All I see are other cars where you have to take out the axles to replace them. Also GM may make a 2 piece replacement that you don't need to remove the axle.
Does anyone have any experience in this area or what will happen if I don't replace them for a bit. (260K on my 2004 mdx)
I think Iv'e used the parking brake all of 15 times since I bought the car new

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well I have no real experience with fixing the backing plate issue, I also am having problems with my backing plates, I was told by my mechanic that its a common problem with the acura MDX and Honda oddessye (same platform) my acura dealer said that there was excess rust on my backing plates (I also own an 04 but have only 85,000 miles) I thought that the backing plate were for the brake rotors and such and not truly relating to the parking brake (again, no experience so I could be wrong) I am going to get some quotes to replace them, I have had them bent about a thousand times and spend a lot of money trying to prevent the awful scraping sound, I recently posted a question on the forum about the noise and how intensive of a job it was, search "constant backing plate/scraping issues. I never thought that the axle would have to be taken off! Im sorry I couldn't help you more but now that mine are apparently rusting (that's new england for ya) I'm going to seriously look into it, did the backing plate cause damage to your tire or other parts after it fell off?

·
Registered
73 Posts
And I just saw that you live in andover! I'm from attleboro! What a small world! So your completely aware of the horrible NE winters and maybe that's why our backing plates are only causing us problems, haven't seen much about them. I use prime Acura in Walpole

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
No damage to the tire or rim, that metal is pretty flimsy and i was close to home when it happened. It just broke on one side (half circle) then fell behind the rim and part was still attached to back so it got wedged and squealed. I always thought it just a protective shield bolted on the back but after searching more it seems to behind the parking brake. I read a lot of people go with out them when they rust off but I'm sure its there for a reason, (rotor protection or cooling effect??). Looks like it's a $50 part (each). I waiting for the other side to start singing to me! When I have the time I'll pull the tire off and really look behind there to see what's going on. I watched this video and I'm guessing it will be similar to the MDX unless someone else can shed light on this for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2UTd673fl4

·
Registered
119 Posts
Not on my MDX but this just happened on my 2000 Lexus ES300. Exact same scenario. I am going to go without. Over $260 just for the backing plate for the rears on my Lexus. Fronts are less than $27. I just ripped off the bent/broken part of the plate and will drive it until the car dies.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Unfortunately if you want to fix the backing plate for the rear parking brake, you will need to remove the wheel hub, which is not difficult, but not easy, and requires a big torque wrench to put it back to spec. The plates aren't that bad cost wise, a little over $50 on oem parts site.

Actually on Edit, I completely forgot that you are replacing yours due to rust, and a northern vehicle. I have long forgotten what it is like to work on a salted road vehicle, you may have one heck of a time getting that hub off, if your backing plates are rusting through.

·
Registered
421 Posts
DSC_0148.JPG

DSC_0149.JPG

DSC_0150.JPG

DSC_0151.JPG

DSC_0152.JPG

DSC_0151.JPG

DSC_0155.JPG

DSC_0156.JPG

DSC_0155.JPG

_20190814_061231.JPG

After about 6 rear brake pad changes, the backing plate on the passenger side was rusting apart... original rotors too

Discovered at a routine tire rotation.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Based upon various other replies, I'm not going to get replacement plates. I will order new sets of rotors for the next brake pad changes, but original rotors show no signs of warping

DSC_0154.JPG

·
Registered
421 Posts
Parking brake is supposed to relieve stress on the transmission and/ or mounts...

Shift to neutral once you're at your destination. . If it starts rolling, step on the parking brake pedal (by the hood release lever, if u forgot where it is,LoL)

Feel those parking brake shoes inside the brake rotor hat engaging and holding the vehicle's weight... then, shift to park.

Better to exercise it to also prevent the cables from seizing up as well... use it or lose it!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
That's a good process (e-brake before shifting to park) though here in the generally pancake-flat Phoenix area, it's not really necessary).

The photos do make me weep a little though - I forget what it's like to deal with rust. 115° temperatures... well those I do have to deal with, but here's what "rust" looks like on an '04 Arizona MDX coming on a quarter million miles (primarily from driving it elsewhere, or from car washes, no doubt)...

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Exactly! My rotors (on my other cars as well) will start to visibly rust within hours of a car wash. But it's only the lightest surface rust. The chassis of all my cars look like factory, including a '96 Jeep that's got well over 200,000 miles. Bolts come out like they were put in yesterday, even if they were tightened at the factory. I really (!) don't miss salt!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts