Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2022 MDX A-Spec
151 Posts
Y'all got lots of time and money on your hands apparently!

Next step, paint the exhaust system under the car bright red even though nobody will see it haha. 😂
Hobbies equal money. For some, that hobby is dressing up their car. Pay to play baby

You’d be appalled to know I already spent $3k on the Type S 21” shark gray wheels. Picking them up tomorrow. Expensive ass All Season tires are next…

·
Registered
2022 MDX A-Spec
151 Posts
Updated my original post and confirmed those part numbers are correct. Sadly everything is on back order as of 1/4/2022. I’m going to guess once the Type S Advances start rolling into dealer lots there will be more inventory that becomes available

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks for the info, Chazzy.

I went to 3 local body shops today. Depressing situation lol
The first shop gave me a quote for painting all trim and lips white; totaling $3,175 and the soonest they'd be able to do it is March.
Second shop said they don't do this type of work and only do big jobs for insurance companies; redirected me to a third small shop that said the earliest they'd be doing any paint work was in the month of May o_O

Super discouraged rn and thinking of doing the paint job myself :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2022 MDX A-Spec
151 Posts

The first shop gave me a quote for painting all trim and lips white; totaling $3,175 and the soonest they'd be able to do it is March.
Second shop said they don't do this type of work and only do big jobs for insurance companies; redirected me to a third small shop that said the earliest they'd be doing any paint work was in the month of May o_O

holy cow! I was thinking $1500, but definitely not $3200. I guess I’ll prepare myself accordingly.

I do agree though, you’ll need a smaller auto body place to do the job for you. I can think of two places local I’d check with.

good information to know though man! I appreciate you doing that initial research.

Have you ordered the parts yet?

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
My guess is Acura will paint those areas when the MMC rolls out in a few years. My 19 MDX hybrid came with color matched painted lower trim compared to the black plastic for the 14-16 MDXs. I think it makes the MDX looks more upscale towards the luxury range with the color matched trim or even with contrast painted trim.
My 17 hybrid was also that way. I like it. I think for 18 or 19 the advance also painted the lower trim.

·
Registered
140 Posts

Sheesh $3200 to get a few inches painted on the car! I'll bet some less fortunate kids or families could use that money bro

·
Registered
2022 MDX A-Spec
151 Posts
Sheesh $3200 to get a few inches painted on the car! I'll bet some less fortunate kids or families could use that money bro
Easy now, hobbies are hobbies. We’re a group of car people here and car hobbies also equal money. No reason to be like that. Also, he could be supporting a local small body shop stay in business during these difficult COVID times. So let’s just leave those comments be…

·
Registered
140 Posts
Easy now, hobbies are hobbies. We’re a group of car people here and car hobbies also equal money. No reason to be like that. Also, he could be supporting a local small body shop stay in business during these difficult COVID times. So let’s just leave those comments be…
yeah fair enough. I guess it's not on me to judge what is a wise use of $$$ vs a wasteful splurge. I could easily look in the mirror and say that the fact that I am considering spending $50-60K on a freakin MDX is also wasteful when I could keep driving my current car, and help out the unfortunate families. Comment retracted and carry on with the hobby!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
holy cow! I was thinking $1500, but definitely not $3200. I guess I’ll prepare myself accordingly.

I do agree though, you’ll need a smaller auto body place to do the job for you. I can think of two places local I’d check with.

good information to know though man! I appreciate you doing that initial research.

Have you ordered the parts yet?
I Did not order the parts and I will NOT order any more parts lol... I have made my decision; I will place an order on a new compressor, spray gun, etc etc. I'm doing all of this work myself :D
Dude these are SICK!! I love how I see there are guys like you who also did this to their car. Can you post some more pics, especially the rear??

Just like Chazzy said, I could be supporting their families by bringing my MDX there. But knowing that they're booked up a few months ahead, I know they're good :D I'll support a compressor and spray gun company instead and buy the tools and do this myself. I've worked on my cars before but never did a spray paint job. There's always a first!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I Did not order the parts and I will NOT order any more parts lol... I have made my decision; I will place an order on a new compressor, spray gun, etc etc. I'm doing all of this work myself :D

Dude these are SICK!! I love how I see there are guys like you who also did this to their car. Can you post some more pics, especially the rear??

Just like Chazzy said, I could be supporting their families by bringing my MDX there. But knowing that they're booked up a few months ahead, I know they're good :D I'll support a compressor and spray gun company instead and buy the tools and do this myself. I've worked on my cars before but never did a spray paint job. There's always a first!
The reason why the autobody shops were trying to charge upwards of $3200 is probably because they were going to remove the lip and trim from the body and paint them and put everything back together again. Admittedly this is probably the best way to get seamless professional results without the paint starting to peel tater on down the road.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a local bumper repair paint /touch up paint guy do the front and rear lip spoiler & grill and he threw in the trim for a total of 500$. He told me what to expect from the plastic piece . Just a temp thing until I find a better solution

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
The reason why the autobody shops were trying to charge upwards of $3200 is probably because they were going to remove the lip and trim from the body and paint them and put everything back together again. Admittedly this is probably the best way to get seamless professional results without the paint starting to peel tater on down the road.
I understand, and all of that takes time. I will be doing the same exact thing as well, I know it will take me quite some time to do all of this work but I got two vehicles and my wife works from home.. I think she can drive my beater for a week or so lol

I had a local bumper repair paint /touch up paint guy do the front and rear lip spoiler & grill and he threw in the trim for a total of 500$. He told me what to expect from the plastic piece . Just a temp thing until I find a better solution
That's cheap man.. day and night difference from 3.2k haha
I also just realized you repainted the chrome grill trim after you mentioned it. I think i'll keep it chrome. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I know this might look good in the short term but aren't you guys risking that this will end up looking like a$$ once the DIY paint starts peeling off the plastic in a few years?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm aware but I didn't diy and once the type s mdx trims are avaible those are a perm solution as those are paintable they will come gloss black

21 - 40 of 41 Posts