Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So...where is our DIY??? ;)
I’ve made several posts about mods that I’ve done. The detail of information was really dependent on the kinds of questions that got raised. But there wasn’t a whole lot of interaction about the DIY aspect of it.

If you have questions that aren’t answered in the posts feel free to ask.

And one of the posts on Acurazine got a bit of additional info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thank you for posting those links! Your relay setup is clean, nice work.
You mention that you are able to control the auxiliary lights with the high beam signal. Can you please let me know where to find the wiring diagram for that signal? I'm looking to add that functionality to my X as well. I don't want to be naive and assume I can tap a wire after the high beam fuse in the engine bay.

Reactions: Mdx-4me

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I was unable to figure out a way to tap into it safely. It’s not as simple as interrupting a signal. There is a module for the LED headlights with special driver circuits. I was afraid that I would fry it.

Instead what I did was interrupt the fog light signal, which does come right out on a fused line directly powering the fogs. By wiring in an interposing form C relay I can use one side of the contact to drive the fogs and the other side to be my high beam indicator because the logic of the MDX shuts off the fog lights whenever the high beams go on. It’s sort of like using an inverted logic.

Not sure if that makes sense or not.

My long term project is to program a Raspberry Pi to read the CANBUS signals to know when the high beams have been requested and use that for the logic. But I’m not there yet.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Smart thinking. That was helpful, thank you

Reactions: Mdx-4me

·
Registered
492 Posts
Much better than the wife standing there with a flashlight hollering out directions.
Why is there not a "love" button on this forum, haha. I can't tell you how many campsites I've backed into where I've thought there has to be a better way than someone that doesn't understand if you can't see my mean mug, I can't see the unintelligible signals that your sending the captain.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow! Sweet paint job. I like it. Now I wish the paint on mine would peal. It still looks great. The black makes it look like the top is all moon roof glass. Pretty cool.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Do you have the name of the dealer so I can contact them?
I suspect that you could order it from most any dealer in Canada. The trick would be getting them to ship it to you. I do remember when I ordered it that I was initially told that Acura didn’t make them. But when I told them to look it up they were surprised to see it in there. It’s only for 2014-16 years.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Couldn’t resist a couple more photos this evening as the sun was setting.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I used self healing paint protective film on my entire hood, front fenders, windshield, and front bumper. Pretty effective against rock strikes and road rash at hwy speeds of 70-80 mph. I keep a package of windex wipes in the hatch for bugs since windshield wipers just makes a mess.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts