Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting painted fender flares, rear deflector, and mud guards, after seeing what some of you had done to your 'Xs. My dealer gave us a competitive price for the painting and they will also be doing the installation (we are not a DIY household :eek: ).

Today I spoke to another dealer and when I told him what I was doing to the accessories he cautioned me about painting these parts. He said they would chip easily, would be damaged by winter/snow, etc. He also asked about warranty coverage.

I love the look of the color matched accessories, but this dealer made me doubt my decision :8:

Those of you who have painted these parts, can you provide some feedback as to how they are holding up. Tim any wise words?

I guess I should make my decisions and go hide in a cave until my 'X gets here :D

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks rliggayu. I did see the thread before and every other thread relating to this subject, which is why I ordered the painted parts

What I really want to know is how these painted parts will look a year down the road. Will they crack, peel, etc. or will they wear the same way that my bumpers do? The dealers body shop will use the special additives for painting plastic/rubber.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I suspect they will be as good as any paint job after an accident. I believe the rear deflector, fender flares are of the same material as the bumper. So if dealer body shops can paint bumpers like nothing ever happened to it, if they do it right, it should be the same. I haven't had a problem yet with either the deflector or the mud flaps.

Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had my painter flares for 1 year now and it looks as good as new. EXCEPT my wife had a small accident backing out from the guarge recently. :( The rear right is now scretched (as with part of the rear bumper) but I feel it is much better to have the plastic flare scretched instead of the sheet metal. With the flares, I've decided just to put some touchup paint and leave it. Had a similiar accident with our Integra a few years back and the sheet metal was damaged, it was a must fix then.

I'll post a picture of the demaged flare over the weekend.

BTW, the standard flares comes painted gray anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts