Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Soooo I'm probably becoming the newest member to the Acura club lol.
Getting the RDX A-spec 2020, black with red interiors, and I couldn't be more excited about it.
Dropped by to ask if any owners feel the need to get the Acura paint protection or the 3M film to prevent stone chips? The prices are hefty for the 3M film, through the dealership, and it covers only a small portion of the hood and fenders. Obviously the car being black, I would hate for any scratches or ding to ruin it.
Any advise on how to maintain, and prevent color damage would be greatly appreciated. Atm, considering getting the 3M protection. If anyone went through with it, is it actually worth it? Or should I decide against it? Solitaire
P.S. I am from Ontario, Canada. If there is any cheaper alternative or shops you may know that does paint protection, I am all ears.
Thank you in advance 9Apps – Download 9Apps Free Fast Install for Android 2020

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Hi neighbour! If you are planning regular driving, I would suggest the new car prep and C-Quartz sealant.

It's not cheap by any means, but the results are really impressive. They state it lasts 2 years, but for me it was more like four, after which I've repeated the paint correction and sealing. I've done this here, if you are anywhere near Mississauga, highly recommend this guy Kevin: GTA In Detail - Professional Automotive Detailing in the Greater Toronto Area

He has been doing this for over a decade and he is usually doing high end cars, he has good reputation.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I've always done 3M PPF on my previous vehicles. 3M pretty much lasted way past the 5 year warranty period for the film I've used at the time (no peeling or yellowing). Prices have increased a lot for the same protected area of 12"-18" up hood, leading edge of fender, front bumper, side mirrors, and HIDs:
  • 06 TSX $280 in 2006
  • 08 RDX $400 in 2010
  • 11 MDX $750 in 2014
I changed it up and did Suntek Ultra Paint Protective film (PPF) and CQuartz finest and Ceramic Pro on my Fathom Blue Pearl 19 MDX Hybrid Adv before last summer.

Sunkek Ultra ($2000, built-in hydrophobic properties, 10 year warranty, custom fit job with edges tucked into seams for invisible look)
  • entire hood,
  • entire front bumper,
  • entire front fenders,
  • side view mirrors,
  • LED HIDs,
  • up pillars on either side of windshield, and
  • rear facing portion of rear bumper
CQuartz Finest ($1800, after color correction, 3 year warranty; but, will last longer with proper care)
  • on top of Suntek film
  • all Fathom Blue Pearl painted surfaces
NOTE: CQuartz didn't have a product for interior surfaces

Ceramic Pro ($500, 2 yr, 5yr, or lifetime depending on amount of layers)
  • Interior (have to re-do driver's seat every year for $35 because of the extra wear)
  • Rims (20" OEM Gloss Black Berlina rims)
  • all exterior glass surfaces
The advantage with Suntek PPF is the UV protection, paint protection, hydrophobic properties, no need to wax, and self healing in direct sunlight. I really like the self healing properties because micro scratches from swirl marks will go away just sitting in the sun. Double-check on registering the PPF and Ceramic coating for insurance purposes. My USAA insurance covered replacing my 3M PPF after two separate accidents years apart. I think Ceramic Pro and CQuartz has the same option depending on your Insurance coverage.

The advantage with Ceramic coating is the color correction first and the Ceramic coating sealing in the brilliant shine afterwards. You have a complete shell around your car from winter road muck, bugs, tar, acid rain, hard water, and bird droppings. Another plus is you don't have to wax (actually, you can't wax ceramic coating). The BIGGEST downside to Ceramic coating is it take a lot effort to maintain because you can scratch the coating just like clear coat if you don't hand wash with two bucket method with microfiber and dry with microfiber (only touch-less car washes, anything other than microfiber will scratch ceramic coating).

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I just purchased a 18 RLX Sport Hybrid in Brilliant Red Metallic in Dec/19. It has a lot of swirl marks and 5-6 noticeable stone chips down to the gray primer. Planning to color correct, ceramic coat the windows/interior/rims, and PPF the entire vehicle next month.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts