Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Mdxers,

First thank you for the great site that educate many of us who is the first time MDX owners. The site helps a lot for making the decision to buy Acura MDX and ensure to be aware of all kind of issues and keep up to date with owners experience.

My main reason of this post that I need your opinion/suggestions although there is some topics about this subject but couldn't find specific to my questions.

This is my first time want to put paint protection on my first Acura MDX Black color. I went to couple shops that dose Xpel Ultimate films. Their pricing is firm which is the same as Xpel website. One shop offer custom cuts which has the films fold under the hood, fenders, bumpers, etc.. of course the cost is 50% higher than computer cut. According to the shop the custom cut helps rock ships from hitting the edges and also prevent collecting dirt around the edges.

I want to go with computer cut for full hood, fenders, mirrors, front bumper, headlamps and save 50% on the pricing. Dose anyone have this computer cut on MDX for a long time? Dose it collect dirt around the edges and the films will be come very obvious? What is the best to wash the car automatic or by hand after you put the films?

Your thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't have it on the mdx we just bought yesterday, but I have it on my weekend/toy car- 2003 corvette Z06- and it's the best stuff on the market. Scratches melt away w/ sunlight/heat. Like ANY film it'll show the edge over time w/ dust/cleaning products/wax/hard water deposits over time- really no way getting around that but dark colors will be worse than light in that regard.

Going over the edges in some spots as the installer suggests will help with that

·
Registered
123 Posts
Same as the guy above, I have it on my Porsche 911. Its good stuff. Sometimes I wish I did the custom cut (10% of time) but the edges don't bother me too much. Dirt at the edges are non existent (black car).

Any car wash should be fine. I only hand wash the 911 (prevent swirl marks) so I have no experience with automatic car washes.

I take the MDX to the dealer's free car wash machine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Same as the guy above, I have it on my Porsche 911. Its good stuff. Sometimes I wish I did the custom cut (10% of time) but the edges don't bother me too much. Dirt at the edges are non existent (black car).

Any car wash should be fine. I only hand wash the 911 (prevent swirl marks) so I have no experience with automatic car washes.

I take the MDX to the dealer's free car wash machine.
How long you been having the films your Porsche?

I agree as Tubesteak said that dirt will accumulate over the time and will be obvious.
I think I might go with custom cuts since I'm keeping this car and they have 10 year warranty on Xpel products.

·
Registered
231 Posts
XPel is supposed to be a very good product - but expensive.

I recently self-installed 3M Pro-Series Scotchgard (not the same as regular 3M Scotchgard). I did the install myself and I noticed a part on the rear deck (top of rear bumper) than the film finishes on a rounded part of the bumper (not flat), because of the curvature, the film did not stick all the way some dirt has since accumuled under the film (for about 1/16")... I tried cleaning it out, re-applying alcohol to try to reactive the glue and taped it down with masking tape (temporarily) to try to get it to stay glued down. So far it has held up, not sure about long term though...

Overall i'm very satisfied with the film - it cleans so easily and you can hardly tell it's there. My vehicle is white, though.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
The good thing about the custom fit is you can cover more of the frontal area if road debris is an issue. I did the 3M custom fit film on my 11 MDX and took it further up the hood, fenders, side mirrors, fogs, and headlights. Road debris from sand, rocks and tumble weeds at +80 mph are the biggest issues in the southwest. Since the +2014 MDX is so new, we don't know how well the LED resist against UV haze (not the actual lens; but, the outer cover). If the XPel film provides UV protection, it can save your headlights if you keep your MDX the 10 years. I have zero fade on my 06 TSX and 08 RDX with the 3M film on the fogs/headlights.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Hello Mdxers,

First thank you for the great site that educate many of us who is the first time MDX owners. The site helps a lot for making the decision to buy Acura MDX and ensure to be aware of all kind of issues and keep up to date with owners experience.

My main reason of this post that I need your opinion/suggestions although there is some topics about this subject but couldn't find specific to my questions.

This is my first time want to put paint protection on my first Acura MDX Black color. I went to couple shops that dose Xpel Ultimate films. Their pricing is firm which is the same as Xpel website. One shop offer custom cuts which has the films fold under the hood, fenders, bumpers, etc.. of course the cost is 50% higher than computer cut. According to the shop the custom cut helps rock ships from hitting the edges and also prevent collecting dirt around the edges.

I want to go with computer cut for full hood, fenders, mirrors, front bumper, headlamps and save 50% on the pricing. Dose anyone have this computer cut on MDX for a long time? Dose it collect dirt around the edges and the films will be come very obvious? What is the best to wash the car automatic or by hand after you put the films?

Just an FYI. Dose is spelled "does". Dose refers to how much medication you take.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The good thing about the custom fit is you can cover more of the frontal area if road debris is an issue. I did the 3M custom fit film on my 11 MDX and took it further up the hood, fenders, side mirrors, fogs, and headlights. Road debris from sand, rocks and tumble weeds at +80 mph are the biggest issues in the southwest. Since the +2014 MDX is so new, we don't know how well the LED resist against UV haze (not the actual lens; but, the outer cover). If the XPel film provides UV protection, it can save your headlights if you keep your MDX the 10 years. I have zero fade on my 06 TSX and 08 RDX with the 3M film on the fogs/headlights.
That what I am going after is the full front package including headlights. I do a lot of highway driving and after couple months I already got couple rock ships on the fender and bumper. I did ask about the UV protection and it's something they don't currently have but they will special order it. So you recommend UV protection for the headlights over the normal film? Those headlights are pretty and it's nice to keep them for the same look for a long time.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
That what I am going after is the full front package including headlights. I do a lot of highway driving and after couple months I already got couple rock ships on the fender and bumper. I did ask about the UV protection and it's something they don't currently have but they will special order it. So you recommend UV protection for the headlights over the normal film? Those headlights are pretty and it's nice to keep them for the same look for a long time.
I do film on the headlights mostly for UV protection compared to road debris problems. The 3M product comes with UV protection in the film already. Can you order a computer cut or do a small custom strip with the UV protection from Xpel just for the +2014 headlights? My 2011 headlights outer lens near the top have abrupt angles which makes it hard to completely cover with 3M film like my TSX and RDX smoother HID covers. I'm already getting headlight hazing on the small part above HIDs main light located close to hood that is not covered by the film (front facing surface with film is still 100% clear).

I think my 3M installer charges $50-$75 to do headlights with the custom fit film. It only has a 5yr warranty compared to the 10yr you get with Xpel. I'm already at +5 yrs on the RDX with zero issues. My kid had an accident with the TSX and the whole front end was replaced/repaired on the TSX, so only 1 year with replacement film.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally got the whole front area covered with Xpel film. I picked the custom cuts and it did really come very nice. The edges that can't be folded in are noticeable even though the car is black color. I also did the headlight custom cut and yes it's UV protection for $100.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Mdxers,

Hi thank you for your information. But I wondering what is the website link for buying those product you just mentioned ?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Ended up going with SunTek Ultra protective film on my Fathom Blue Pearl 19 MDX. I did the entire hood, entire front fenders, front bumper, headlights, fogs, side mirros, up the A-pillar on either side of windshield, and 1/2 of rear bumper. I also did CQuartz finest ceramic coating on all painted surfaces including the area already coated with protective film.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ended up going with SunTek Ultra protective film on my Fathom Blue Pearl 19 MDX. I did the entire hood, entire front fenders, front bumper, headlights, fogs, side mirros, up the A-pillar on either side of windshield, and 1/2 of rear bumper. I also did CQuartz finest ceramic coating on all painted surfaces including the area already coated with protective film.
Did you have someone install it?
How much does it cost?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Very limited amount of installers in ABQ or Santa Fe and the wait is over a month out. The total cost was $3800 for everything ($1800 film and $2000 ceramic coating):

Ceramic coating CQuartz Finest and Ceramic Pro for interior:
  • color correction
  • covered painted surfaces
  • all windows and sunroof
  • rims (20" Berlina)
  • all interior surfaces except headliner and all weather mats (Ceramic Pro)
SunTek Ultra Paint Protective Film, custom fit with film folded over edges
  • entire hood
  • entire front fenders
  • front bumper
  • up the pillars on front windshield
  • side mirrors
  • LED and fogs
  • rear bumper
I also blacked out all chrome with Plastic Dip, de-badged except for Acura emblem, and painted the calipers red. Planning to keep my MDX for +10 years.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Ended up going with SunTek Ultra protective film on my Fathom Blue Pearl 19 MDX.
Firstly, all the cool people have Fathom Blue.

Secondly, to help you feel better about the cost, I've done multiple coast to coast trips in mine and have plenty of gravel/etc. hits on the hood of my non-filmed MDX. My last couple of SUVs I installed a hood deflector on, which helped considerably, but afaik there isn't an OEM one for the 3rd gen. I hope the film helps protect yours from similar hits. I expect it'll at least help.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I ended up getting three pretty noticeable chips within days on the 19 MDX on the forward facing section of the hood above the LEDs/grill area waiting on my PPF appointment. The thin paint and gray primer really shows chips. Did the touch-up paint thing and parked the MDX until my PPF appointment time.

I've done 3M PPF on my other three Acura's and always been very happy with the results. The prices for 3M at the installer I've used for +10 years was too expensive for the amount coverage they do. It went from $250 for my 06 TSX back in 2006 to over $700 for my 19 MDX (12" up hood, 12" fender, front bumper, headlights/fogs, and side mirrors). Sounded like a better deal going with another installer that did the entire hood, fender, windshield pillars, front/rear bumper for $1800 and they tuck the film under the seams (3M guys didn't tuck).

A added bonus is depending on the PPF, it can be registered. If you have any issues, it can be covered by the PPF warranty at any authorized dealers. Since it is registered AND depending on your car insurance, it can be replaced if you are in an accident. This also goes for Ceramic coating like Ceramic Pro. Nice to know I don't have to pay for the PPF/ceramic treatment again if the MDX needs to be repaired.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks guys, I love the wet deep shine it has now and want to lock it in :)
Car is parked in the garage for now.
Mostly interested in the front/hood and mirrors.
I filled out inquiry for local installer of xpel.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Thanks guys, I love the wet deep shine it has now and want to lock it in :)
Car is parked in the garage for now.
Mostly interested in the front/hood and mirrors.
I filled out inquiry for local installer of xpel.
See about getting a PPF strip on the rear bumper to protect the width of the hatch area lip down to at-least half the rear bumper. That area will get scuffed up loading, unloading, or you leaning on the bumper reaching for items in the hatch. I didn't do this with my silver 11 MDX and that area is scratched down to black primer and looks like crap.

·
Registered
100 Posts
See about getting a PPF strip on the rear bumper to protect the width of the hatch area lip down to at-least half the rear bumper. That area will get scuffed up loading, unloading, or you leaning on the bumper reaching for items in the hatch. I didn't do this with my silver 11 MDX and that area is scratched down to black primer and looks like crap.
Yes rear bumper does get beating...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts