Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was clay barring my MDX yesterday and in the process of waxing it. I started to see so many paint chips that wasn't there before (i.e.: earlier in the day). Is this caused by the clay bar or from something else?

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Clay bar should never cause chipping since you're using a lubricating agent with it. Simply driving the car does though. If you really want to avoid it, clear wrap your next car.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
176 Posts
Wasn't that vehicle in a couple of wrecks not too long ago? I'm not sure I'd recommend clay bar on newish paint.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wasn't that vehicle in a couple of wrecks not too long ago? I'm not sure I'd recommend clay bar on newish paint.
The rear portion was repaired and needs another bumper. Its the hood of all things where the paint is chipping. When I clayed and waxed every other body panel except the half-destroyed rear bumper, roof, and mirrors, none of those panels chipped.

·
Super Moderator
176 Posts
The rear portion was repaired and needs another bumper. Its the hood of all things where the paint is chipping. When I clayed and waxed every other body panel except the half-destroyed rear bumper, roof, and mirrors, none of those panels chipped.
Yep, that's where you'll get chips on the hood for sure. Particularly if you're in the bad habit of following other vehicles too closely. It's a shame no one seems to make a bug/stone guard for the 3rd generation MDX.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
^^ I second your observation. My MDX has multiple ships on the hood from the coast to coast trips I've done with it. My last couple of SUVs had hood deflectors which actually help when it comes to hood chips but when I looked for one for my 2014 back when it was new Acura didn't offer them and the aftermarket didn't either. It's odd since Acura offered one for the 2nd gen.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like I might have to clear bra it then. This never happened to any of the cars that we owned collectively. Is the clear bra option a straight-forward DIY job?

·
Super Moderator
176 Posts
Looks like I might have to clear bra it then. This never happened to any of the cars that we owned collectively. Is the clear bra option a straight-forward DIY job?
The pre-cut film is absurdly expensive. And of course, like with tint, there’s a certain amount of artistry to getting it right. You definitely don’t want to screw it up - and mastering it takes practice.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The pre-cut film is absurdly expensive. And of course, like with tint, there’s a certain amount of artistry to getting it right. You definitely don’t want to screw it up - and mastering it takes practice.
I get that. I was also planning to wrap my MDX after literally confusing mine with another customer's MDX at the Honda dealer this past Monday. Just from looking at the Youtubes, it's time consuming but it can be done DIY.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts