Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, I have a 2002 mdx. Purchased May 20, 2002 at Acura of Pasadena (great people). My husband dented the rear door on the drivers side. Acura of Pasadena said take it to Holmes Autobody in Pasadena. I did, nine days later, the roof rack was not removed and paint lines, etc. They ordered a new door skin which had to be painted and since I had trim on the front door that had to be removed and both doors painted etc. and blended up over the top that is why the roof rack was going to be removed.
This is the problem, after getting it home and parking in driveway I noticed that the metallic was over the top, too bright, and look like cheap glitter job. When you look at this side of the car it has a intense amount of glitter. The other side of the car parked in the same light and position does not have that problem.

Took car back to fix the other problems they caused and to correct the paint job. They said they had Dupont person out and the paint is mix as per the formular. July 17, 2002 drop of car, August 13, 2002 picked up car. The Service Manager from Acura of Pasadena when over to the shop with me to act as a nonbias opinion. Well he also agreed that this side was not the same as the other side of the car. And seems to have more or brighter metallic.
Holmes said that they would arrange for the Dupont rep. to come to my house or meet and discuss the paint problem. I said I would take the car home and check it out with the sun positioning on the one side and they move the car to see the other side. No difference from the factory on the right or left side of car. Now this side that they painted again is different, any suggestions? I will have the Dupont rep. come and see the differenct. Help:confused:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Is Dupont the org manfacture of Acura's paint? If not they may use different metal flakes etc.
I have a painted rear deflector from Tim on my GG MDX and I cannot tell the difference from this and the factory paint. Why don't you ask him what paint manf they use to paint the deflectors at his dealership?

Chris

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
something is Fishy here

With today's Acura vehicles....there are enough information on the vehicles to let the autobody and other entities know about the vehicle.

If this body shop did their homework, there is a barcode on the side of each panel of the vehicle that tells you the chemical make up of the paint, what type of paint it is and who is the manufacturer of that paint. By scaning the barcode with the barcode reader, their computer will automatically access its database and bring up the "recipe" for the paint.

My guess is this bodyshop did not do that, and if they did they did not have access to the paint and decided to do a mix of their own by taking a chip of the paint off the body and do a "generic" mixture that way to cut corners and costs. I see this ALL the time and 9 out of ten times, the paint job may look good on the areas where it was damaged but as far as MATCHING to the rest of the original vehicle is unsuccessful.:eek:

·
Registered
29 Posts
it must be the auto body shop

I had them do some work on my 4-Runner about 4 years ago. The front driver's side fender. They "blended" paint into the door and hood. Well...the fender had more of a pearl white finish/glean than the original Toyota white paint (Candy White, Alpine White, or whatever they called it back then).

They had overspray in the engine compartment and fenderwell as they didn't mask the engine compartment properly nor did they remove the inside fenderwell cover when they painted. The bottom portion of the fender was to be painted black where it is by the bumper, they failed to do this (I took off the bumper and did it myself).

On the inside of the drivers' door where it is hinged to the vehicle the paint was flat, meaning it didn't have any shine to it at all.

Overall I was not impressed w/ the quality of workmanship at this body shop. Since I was going to sell the vehicle I wasn't too concerned about it at all. But it did aggravate me everytime I opened the hood or driver's door and saw the overspray and lack of quality/pride in workmanship. And everytime I washed or waxed the truck I felt the overspray.

Bob's Auto Body on Walnut did some work on our other cars and we have been satisfied with all the work they have done. I went to Holmes only because Allstate (my insurer) told me to go there and supposedly they were a preferred/approved Allstate autobody repair shop meaning minimal paperwork or inconvenience to the insured.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
My Holmes Experience

My experience with Holmes was just fine [referred there by Pasadena Honda].

Dealerships without their own body shops are usually particular in their referals because a bad referal reflects on them.

Additionally, I think that you will find that both Pasadena Honda and Pasadena Acura use Holmes for their warranty paint work [again, another reason to be particular].

LREDD and up4funnla -- I am not saying that you didn't have a bad experience, simply suggesting that others might have had better outcomes.

FWIW

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Factory Paint

I believe you will find the following to be true:

(1) You can not buy "factory paint" for most vehicles [simply does not exist].

(2) Major auto paint manufacturers [e.g. Dupont, Sherwin-Williams, PPG, etc.] formulate paint for the various colors offered by virtually all vehicle manufactures. This formulation is the proper combination [by weight] of the "toners" used by each of the paint manufacters in their "paint system" [note: each manufacturer has their own toners, thus the formulation is only good for the paint manufacturer's "paint system"].

Regarding the mismatch:

(1) The manufacturer's paint formulation could be wrong, this does happen!!. This is most common with new colors [eventually, the formulas get fixed as the problems are discovered and reported]. Usually, the deviation is small, but not always. Some body shops actually use two different paint systems for this reason [e.g. brand "a" does better with colors u/v/w while brand "b" does better with x/y/z.

(2) The body shop could have mixed the paint wrong [real easy to screw up]. Paint mixing is similar in concept to the way a house paint supplier "mixes paint" for you [e.g. adds so much of toner-1, so much of toner-2, so much of toner-3, etc. based on a formula for the color]. NO TWO "BATCHES" ARE THE SAME [human varience]!! That is why you always blend "gallons of house paint" as you use them!!

(3) Some automotive paints are very sensitive to the spray settings [flow and pressure]. The most notable in my experience are the pearl finishes [especially white pearl]. That said, problems are also seen with the light "metallics" [e.g. silver, gold, etc.].

[4] A combo of any of the above.

In any event, the body shop is responsible to you, NOT the paint manufacturer. The body shop may be asking the paint manufacturer for assistance, but your focus should stay with the body shop.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Small world

God, how strange is this! I work in the Paracel building right next door to that autobody shop. It is a hack house. Insurance companies send cars there and Holmes gives them a kickback. I've heard employees talking about it. I went there to get a dent fixed on my honda. A golf ball hit it. Check this out, for one little dent, they told me it would be 1500 for new skin and paint. I wish I had a shop to recommend, but I don't. I still live with my dent. Anyway, don't go there. Not only are they overpriced, but they are not very good.

Love Pasadena Acura though. That is where my MDX is going to come from.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts