Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this morning I took my 2014 MDX to the car wash I've been going to for years. It was recently taken over my another company, who replaced all the washing equipment. After I got home from having it washed, I notice 2 large patches and 1 small patch of paint missing from the roof right above the window. This car wash uses those large fabric? pieces that lay and kind of wiggle on your car as you pass through, so I would think they aren't as damaging as those old school spinning brushes that used to be at most car washes. I was surprised when I got home and noticed this, as I had been going to this car wash for years with no issues. I went back and spoke to the manager, and understandably he said he felt there was no way his equipment could have caused that damage, and no one else came to him today with a complaint. He thinks the paint had a pre-existing condition that might have finally been affected when my MDX went through the wash. I've since reached out on Facebook to my city's Locals page to see if anyone has been there and had damage, so I'm waiting on any responses. I'm just wondering if anyone on this forum has had paint issues in that particular spot and if the manager might be right. The car has been in excellent shape with no paint issues as far as I'm aware, so I really don't think that's the issue.

·
Registered
2016 Acura MDX ADV ENT
337 Posts
Paint pealing issue has been reported by many white diamond Perl mdx owners. Acura extended the warranty on WDP paint for 8 years from in service date. Hopefully, yours is still under 8 year warranty. Go to the dealership, they should take care of your paint issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paint pealing issue has been reported by many white diamond Perl mdx owners. Acura extended the warranty on WDP paint for 8 years from in service date. Hopefully, yours is still under 8 year warranty. Go to the dealership, they should take care of your paint issue.
Thanks!! I wasn't aware of that issue, I'll contact my dealer.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I would not mention that you went through a car wash, as Honda corporate will try to pin it on that, especially since it was a contact car wash and not a no touch. It is probably the paint defect as mentioned, but they like to look for contributory causes like bird poop and tree sap as well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,904 Posts
Thanks!! I wasn't aware of that issue, I'll contact my dealer.
Wow, depends when the car is manufactured/purchased, it could be close to that 8 year mark. Glad it happened now, so you could get the warranty repair without cost. Let us know the end result.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
From the pics it appears that the car wash manager may be correct - that there was already a weak area in the paint and the car wash just exposed that. It doesn't seem like the strips would do this to a sound coat of paint.

Given that, I'd never take my car to one of those car washes that touch the car (or any other for that matter). It only makes sense that they can damage the paint although I'd expect it to be more in the form of small scratches. There's bound to be leftover dirt in those strips from prior cars or even from your own car that are getting rubbed across the paint surface.

I hope you can get Acura to do the fix at no cost to you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
From the pics it appears that the car wash manager may be correct - that there was already a weak area in the paint and the car wash just exposed that. It doesn't seem like the strips would do this to a sound coat of paint.

Given that, I'd never take my car to one of those car washes that touch the car (or any other for that matter). It only makes sense that they can damage the paint although I'd expect it to be more in the form of small scratches. There's bound to be leftover dirt in those strips from prior cars or even from your own car that are getting rubbed across the paint surface.

I hope you can get Acura to do the fix at no cost to you.
I imagine these brushes can easily and often do pick foreign materials that get stuck and scratch the vehicles that come after. These car washes should be avoided in any vehicle that you care at all about preserving

·
Registered
2016 Acura MDX ADV ENT
337 Posts
Also, looks like paint damage has occurred mostly on the front of the sunroof or on back close to tailgate for many of the white mdxs.

Is highway wind could also be a contributing factor?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Paint defect. Toyota has had many issues with their Blizzard Pearl on many makes/models/years and I think some of the other manufacturer's are starting to see the issues as well. Not sure what makes "pearl" white paints such a beotch but it seems to be the case.
Good luck and hopefully they will take care of it for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts