Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week ago I saw on my rear bumper a small area with a black spot, I thought it was some dirt. I tried to wipe it and realized that my Granite Green Paint was missing!! I must have damaged it a couple of days ago when I was unloading some larger boxes. The size is approximately 1/8" by 1/4" and I saw the black plastic from the bumper. I just bought some touch up paint from the dealer today. Any suggestions on how to carefully fix this spot??:confused:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Here's how.........

First of all, make sure the chipped area is clean, free of wax and dry. Next, shake the touch-up paint A LOT, because Honda paints tend to settle to the bottom of the bottle more than most.

Open the bottle and wipe most of the paint off the small brush on the rim of the bottle, leaving just enough to keep the brush wet. Carefully paint the chip with short strokes, just enough to cover the chip itself and a small amount of the surrounding unchipped rim.

Let it dry for 1/2 hour, then repeat, because the paint shrinks as it dries leaving a depression. This may have to be repeated a third or fourth time.

If the chip is in a very visable spot, I build up the chip with paint until it is actually higher than the undamaged paint with several coats then, when it's completely dry, I use polishing compound for clearcoat on the spot and give it a good rub down. It's amazing how well the chip or scratch will completely fill in using this method.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Thanks for the tip Chuck - I've got the same kind of chips on mine - except the black under that silver really stands out. I'll give this a try this weekend.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I just received a small bottle of Langka that many people claim works great on chips. I'm going to try this product over the weekend in my Sienna in a specific spot where I can't regret its use. I will be posting my results. Has anyone tried this product before?
www.langka.com

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
My best advice is:

- don't use the brush that came with the touchup paint. It's too big and clumsy. Use the paper end of a matchstick or a toothpick

- don't fill in the chip all at once; do it in layers to build it up to the surrounding (good) paint

- I, too, have heard good things about Langka to get rid of any residual goo/overshooting. You can do a search for Langka over at www.ls1.com or www.corvetteforum.com as I recall reading a "review" of it over there that was reasonably favorable. You can do the polish route, too, with a random orbital buffer, then re-wax.

A couple of links (you won't need to do all these steps, BTW):
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/painchiprep.html
http://www.carcareonline.com/paint_chips.html

·
Registered
72 Posts
Depends on size of chip.....

I agree that on very small chips, the brush is very tough and clumsy to use- the match stick idea is much better.

On a 1/8 X 1/4" chip, however, the brush is likely the best choice because the chip is big enough that the brush stroke will be smoother than several swipes with a match stick.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Also consider .....

The following might also be of help:

(1) Factory touch-up paint is usually thick. Try putting some in a separate container and then thinning. Helps you put touch-up paint on SLOWLY. IMO, biggest problem is people getting a "glob" of paint on ... yuck

(2) Art stores sell very fine paint brushes [like "00" size]. Benefit over tooth pick is that brush has fine point and is designed to hold some paint [toothpick not designed to hold paint].

... just some thoughts to consider

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had the EXACT same thing happen to me while unloading a 32 inch TV... I now have two big black marks on my GG too... lc1328 do you know the color code by any chance for the GG??? I can find it myself but if someone has it handy that would be helpful... Thanks

·
Registered
89 Posts
GG Color Code

G-501M-4 is what shows up on my 2001 GG. I tried to buy a bottle from Tustin Acura (after calling them), then when I got there, they couldn't find any .... makes you go hmmmm.

I guess I have to make a trip to another Acura dealer. Has anyone out there tried the Honda Odyssey Granite Green touch-up paint? The Honda Odyssey GG almost looks like the Acura MDX GG, but I'm not sure that they're identical?

Many thanks,

·
Registered
671 Posts
I would order the correct paint from an Acura dealer.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: GG Color Code

MDXLNT said:
G-501M-4 is what shows up on my 2001 GG. I tried to buy a bottle from Tustin Acura (after calling them), then when I got there, they couldn't find any .... makes you go hmmmm.

I guess I have to make a trip to another Acura dealer. Has anyone out there tried the Honda Odyssey Granite Green touch-up paint? The Honda Odyssey GG almost looks like the Acura MDX GG, but I'm not sure that they're identical?

Many thanks,

They are the same. I ordered it from Honda and the color code matches the number for GG in the MDX shop manual.
G-501-M ( No dash 4 (?)
Granite Green Metallic

http://www.ahmotor.com/product/ahmcat7.htm#8L

·
Registered
89 Posts
My apologies for the earlier confusion regarding the color code (the was my attempt at changing the color of the font, not the color of the MDX ;)).

When I open the driver's side door, the sticker says:
G-501M-4. DaleB, I'm not sure what the "dash 4" indicates.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
MDXLNT said:
My apologies for the earlier confusion regarding the color code (the was my attempt at changing the color of the font, not the color of the MDX ;)).

When I open the driver's side door, the sticker says:
G-501M-4. DaleB, I'm not sure what the "dash 4" indicates.

I guess my being too lazy to go out and look at the door jamb paid off. I just saw the code in the factory service manual. On the Honda parts website, they had the same number for GG, without a -4 and I just went ahead and ordered it. I have used it for a very small nicK on the bumper cover and seems to match perfectly.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Different shades of White?

Speaking of lazy.....I just called the parts department at a local dealer to see if they had white touchup paint in stock for the MDX. He couldn't answer without me giving him the code off the door because the "touring model white may be different from the non-touring model white". HUH???????? :confused: Is that a load of BS? Or does that make sense?

Regardless, guess I have to go out and get the code.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: Different shades of White?

dmyles said:
Speaking of lazy.....I just called the parts department at a local dealer to see if they had white touchup paint in stock for the MDX. He couldn't answer without me giving him the code off the door because the "touring model white may be different from the non-touring model white". HUH???????? :confused: Is that a load of BS? Or does that make sense?

Regardless, guess I have to go out and get the code.

Be aware of any additional dash numbers! According to the service manual your paint code should be: NH-578

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Re: Lazy

dmyles said:
Speaking of lazy.....I just called the parts department at a local dealer to see if they had white touchup paint in stock for the MDX. He couldn't answer without me giving him the code off the door . . . HUH???????? :confused: Is that a load of BS? Or does that make sense?
got the same lame treatment by my local Acura parts dept - I wanted the price for red touchup paint for the MDX and he said he couldn't get the price on the computer w/out the color code . . . he couldn't even tell me how much paint is in the bottle . . . I could've done better with an automated phone system !

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I don't get it. The paint retails for $5 a bottle @ the dealer. What could possibly be so difficult to remember about that? Maybe they're using the airline's yield management techniques, and the paint is dynamically priced based on remaining inventory and whether you're painting over a Saturday night :confused:

dmyles - the colors are the same for Touring vs. Base no matter what the color...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Re: Re: GG Color Code

DaleB said:

They are the same. I ordered it from Honda and the color code matches the number for GG in the MDX shop manual.
G-501-M ( No dash 4 (?)
Granite Green Metallic

http://www.ahmotor.com/product/ahmcat7.htm#8L
Many thanks DaleB! Stopped by the local Honda dealer and picked up a bottle of G-501-M... you're right, it's the same as the Acura touch-up paint. It was $5.19 + CA sales tax. At least Honda didn't make me wait for 15 minutes (the Acura dealer had a hard time locating the paint and finally gave up by telling me to call them next week).

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Paint Codes

ALL numbers in a paint code mean something!! The question is what:

Example-1:
=======================
G-501M [real code]
G-502M [made this up]

This would be two DIFFERENT COLORS. They both could be grays or one could be gray and the other purple. You don't know just by looking at the code.

Example-2:
=======================
G-501M
G-501M-4

In this case, the message is that these are "almost identical" colors. They are virtually undistinguishable one to the other EXCEPT when you use both on the same car [e.g. a repair].

Sometimes a car maker uses two different paint vendors and they can't formulate the colors EXACTLY the same [only ALMOST identical]. The dash 4 indicates this very minute difference. Paint manufactuers sell "toners", not paint, which are combined to make colors [think of combining food dyes to make "new colors"].

Another example of where this [e.g. the dash suffix] occurs is when a paint system vendor updates their toners and reformulates the colors used by various manufactuers. Since the toners have changed, it may be impossible to create the EXACT SAME COLOR, just a damn close match that is ALMOST IDENTICAL. When this occurs, the paint system manufacturer usually offers BOTH old and new toners for a period of time.

Hope this made some sense ...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts