Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone ever experience paint chip around taillight? I bought a brand-new 2017 MDX Advance Pkg. I've been very careful throughout the inspection process before taking delivery of the car. I just found this paint chip hide just right on the edge of the tail light. It appears to me that taillight probably sit slightly low on one corner from the factory and the edge of the lens cut/chip the paint.

Anyone has experience getting Acura to fix it? It's a bummer and disappointed on quality of new car these days. we only own it for a few months and only has 5000 miles on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
473 Posts
Looks like it has been repaired! Sometimes vehicals get damaged in transit or while sitting on the lots and the dealership simply repairs it. They may not tell you as they will claim it was only a scratch which they cleaned up! You seem to have more than a scratch that has been repaired. You can see the miss match of paint. You might want to remove the fixture and have alook from behind and underneath before you give the dealership a piece of your mind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Picture might not be the best. I will upload a better picture later, but that was not the paint mismatch. It actually paint chip as I can feel it with my finger nail. Taillight on the affected side doesn't seems to have sufficient gap all around. The edge of the light assemble actually sit on the paint.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Since it appears to be a flaw in the paint application or with the taillight installation perhaps causing the damage rather than damage being done through an accident you should take it back to the dealer you bought it from and get them to fix it under warranty. It's possible they'll argue with you saying you're responsible but just make your point that it's clearly not from an accident or anything you did but rather, a build flaw. This assumes you think it really is a build flaw when looking at it in person.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I reported this to Acura customer relations and also made an appointment with an Acura Dealership. I can't go back to the dealer I bought it from since they are 3.5 hrs away from where I live.... Lesson learn not to buy a car so far away from home.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I can't go back to the dealer I bought it from since they are 3.5 hrs away from where I live.... Lesson learn not to buy a car so far away from home.
It shouldn't matter that you bought it at a dealership far away - warranty work can be done at any Acura dealer and they make money on the warranty work so they should be happy to help you.

I wouldn't hesitate buying further away if the deal was better and then having it serviced at the closest dealer - in fact I've done that with several vehicles from several different manufacturers. In addition, people buy cars and then move elsewhere all the time necessitating taking it to a different dealer. It shouldn't be a problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts