Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All -

Last question before I pull the trigger on my purchase for my new to me 2017 (i'm sure there'll be more questions after purchase LOL).

I had a mechanic inspect the vehicle and he sent me this picture, a P2638 code is found in the Automatic Transmission. He said he reset it and it re-appeared shortly after driving. He also mentioned that these vehicles have a "ultra complex 9 speed transmission that has a bad reputation but is generally reliable" With regards to a fix or what to do, he couldn't comment other than resetting the ECU and the Transmission Control unit.

I'm not a car expert, but sounds like that just masks the issue... anyone else received that code and ultimately what was the fix?

Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
You were smart to have it inspected by a mechanic before purchasing it.

I don't recall anyone posting about this code on this forum but you could do a search in the forum for the code and see if you get any hits.

I don't have any input for you on your actual question but since you haven't purchased it yet why not just say 'never mind' to this one and keep looking for another that has no issues? There are lots of MDXs out there - no need to settle for one that has an issue on it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to confirm, is the Engine light on or the MID says transmission issue in MID?
No, no check engine light, nothing on the MID. Just visible on the diagnostic tool the mechanic was using. He said that his tool showed that this code would not set the money light (engine malfunction light) on its own

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Unless a mechanic can positively fix the issue such that the code no longer reappears I'd steer clear of this particular vehicle. However, in a quick random search on the internet I found this service bulletin regarding this code on the 2016 MDX (implying it's not applicable to your 2017 - but maybe the same issue is on yours) -

In a nutshell, the fix is a software update but I still wouldn't buy this particular vehicle unless it's positively fixed either via the software update of some other fix. There are other things that could cause the code such as (from a quick search on the internet and generic for this code not just for the MDX) -

Contrary to other types of trouble code causes, a P2638 trouble code is usually caused by a defective driver in the PCM, or a related control module, as well as a possible loose electrical connection. Some other causes include shorted or corroded wiring and connectors within the Controller Area Network (CAN) Bus harness, a defective CAN Bus, a broken ground wire, and a loose ground strap on one of the control modules.
If you're buying the vehicle from an Acura dealer then they should correct the code before the sale. If it's anyone else, avoid it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unless a mechanic can positively fix the issue such that the code no longer reappears I'd steer clear of this particular vehicle. However, in a quick random search on the internet I found this service bulletin regarding this code on the 2016 MDX (implying it's not applicable to your 2017 - but maybe the same issue is on yours) -

In a nutshell, the fix is a software update but I still wouldn't buy this particular vehicle unless it's positively fixed either via the software update of some other fix. There are other things that could cause the code such as (from a quick search on the internet and generic for this code not just for the MDX) -

If you're buying the vehicle from an Acura dealer then they should correct the code before the sale. If it's anyone else, avoid it.
Thanks - the dealer has been great to work with, can't complain there (yet) in fact they are taking it to a Acura dealer directly. The selling dealer is a Honda dealership.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,111 Posts
Thanks - the dealer has been great to work with, can't complain there (yet) in fact they are taking it to a Acura dealer directly. The selling dealer is a Honda dealership.
Pretty sure the Honda dealer could update it since its literally the same trans found in the Pilot Touring/Elite and Odyssey.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey All -

Last question before I pull the trigger on my purchase for my new to me 2017 (i'm sure there'll be more questions after purchase LOL).

I had a mechanic inspect the vehicle and he sent me this picture, a P2638 code is found in the Automatic Transmission. He said he reset it and it re-appeared shortly after driving. He also mentioned that these vehicles have a "ultra complex 9 speed transmission that has a bad reputation but is generally reliable" With regards to a fix or what to do, he couldn't comment other than resetting the ECU and the Transmission Control unit.

I'm not a car expert, but sounds like that just masks the issue... anyone else received that code and ultimately what was the fix?

Thanks
As an update, this issue has been resolved. In speaking with the service manager, the code apparently means the transmission requested an increase in torque but the engine did not provide it or was too slow in providing it.

They performed the following and it's been 24 hours with no code (previously it would come back right after being cleared and within 1 mile of driving)
Changed spark plugs
Cleaned injectors
Adjusted valves
Cleaned and re-learned throttle body

Car seems to run smoother, I haven't noticed any change in engine power but the car's computer seems happy now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As an update, this issue has been resolved. In speaking with the service manager, the code apparently means the transmission requested an increase in torque but the engine did not provide it or was too slow in providing it. There is no software flash to resolve other than a TSB for 2016's where they adjusted the mapping.

They performed the following and it's been 24 hours with no code (previously it would come back right after being cleared and within 1 mile of driving)
Changed spark plugs
Cleaned injectors
Adjusted valves
Cleaned and re-learned throttle body

Car seems to run smoother, I haven't noticed any change in engine power but the car's computer seems happy now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I just got my transmission software updated on my Acura MDX 2016 since it was throwing the same codes on the computer and it seems to be a little bit smoother. The car is still under warranty (transmission, engine etc...) and the dealer charged me for the updates. The reason I was charged is because it was not necessary to do the update. I wonder if you got charge for the update?

Codes without check engine light:
  • U0101
  • P2638

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,

I just got my transmission software updated on my Acura MDX 2016 since it was throwing the same codes on the computer and it seems to be a little bit smoother. The car is still under warranty (transmission, engine etc...) and the dealer charged me for the updates. The reason I was charged is because it was not necessary to do the update. I wonder if you got charge for the update?

Codes without check engine light:
  • U0101
  • P2638

Thanks in advance.
Do you have the Canadian TSB number?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts