Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was able to clear the code by resetting the computer (pulled the negative terminal off the battery and let it sit for an hour or so). Hasn't come back in a week now! Worth a try!

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
I made the swap last night and it wasn't too bad. You will need a 20mm deep socket. I didn't have one and ended up using a 7/8. Took about an hour but could do it again in under 30 minutes. Worst part is taking off the splash guard. Then us the deep socket, a universal joint and about 18 inches of extension to remove the part from the drivers side wheel well. Install the new part by hand, tighten with the socket and you're good to go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
P0847 transmission code? Here's your fix.

Ok, so you have a PO847 code pop up and your MDX is telling you to check your transmission. Don't worry, I got your back. Just like your in Vietnam and Charlie is coming down on you. I'm coming in on a Huey with the .50 cal blazing Charlie back to the dark ages to your rescue. This is what you do!!

P0847 is the Third gear pressure switch. You might think, "Oh damn this is gonna cost me big time." Like I said, I got your back so take it easy. (you don't even need to jack up your car or remove a tire). Your only gonna be out about 15 minutes worth of labor and $51.00 in parts. The pressure switch is located near the bottom of your tranny just above the vin plate (yep, they put a vin plate on your tranny). Don't worry it's the only switch that looks like your new one in that area of the tranny so you couldn't mix it up and put it in the wrong place. (See Photos).

What you need to do is remove the plastic clips from the front air dam. It's very flexible so you only have to remove about half of them and then you can fold the plastic back enough that you can reach the tranny. (see photo)

Unplug the wire going into the switch and get a 20mm opened end wrench. Loosen the switch and back the rest of it out by hand. With the switch out start your car for about one second and it will flush just a bit of tranny fluid out of the hole. Screw in the new pressure switch and tighten it. Plug it in and put your plastic air damn back.

Hopefully this helps, I hate seeing good folks get screwed over by a dealership for 15 minutes worth of work.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just experienced this problem and had the dealer replace for 250$. My mdx is a 2008 with 61xxx miles. does anyone know if they would have had to flush the old transmission fluid to perform, or would I still have to do this? The service rep said they did when I requested, but I did not see any charges for fluid nor did his overall service inspire confidence that he knew what he was talking about.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had this issue on my 08 MDX at 45,000 miles. It was under warranty and the dealership covered the repair. Fast forward 4 years at mileage of 104,000, i get the same error and issue. Of course i am out of warranty and i decided to replace it myself.
The dealer recommended 3rd gear pressure sensor part number 28610-RKE-004 that replaced 28610-RAY. They finally specified a better part to hopefully last longer.

I used a 22mm socket with universal joint extension from the drivers side front wheel well. After resetting the code error, it did not alarm again. It has been shifting crisply without error for the past 2,000 miles.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Is it normal for the check engine light to come on at the same time and stay on?

·
Registered
1 Posts
3rd clutch pressure switch has been a pretty common failure on the 2007+ model.
And on the 2008 might I add....although mine is already at 123k miles, so I can't complain. It does sound like a faulty part Acura never corrected after previous models.
Thx for your advice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got a check transmission light on my 2009 Acura RDX, and the "D" was flashing. Where are you guys seeing the P0847 code, or are you using a DB2 reader to get that? Before I buy the part, or worse take it to the dealer I wanted to see if I have the same issue as everyone else. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got this code yesterday it cleared this morning. Took my car to a Transmission place. Although I know it is saying 3rd clutch sensor which is inexpensive to fix. He is telling me the transmission is going bad and to sell my 09 MDX or pay $4000 to repair. I am not having any issues with slipping or any other issues just code that cleared by itself.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got the same code, P0847. I have attached a ZIP file that contains a PDF document, 3 pages, out of the official Acura MDX 2007 Service Manual. The first two pages goes through the troubleshooting steps and the last page has a diagram. This is additional information.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey guys I just changed mine out - it’s actually a 22mm wrench needed- man was rough getting it tight as there isn’t much room to work the wrench -

·
Registered
1 Posts
khamkhao - sorry so late reply. I hardly check this email. Anyways, there wasn't any "noise" associated with this error code. The MDX seemed to run fine. Like I mentioned in my previous post, it was just a simple fix of replacing a sensor/switch. Hope you got this fixed.
Facts I had the same problem just change my transmission switch range and my MDX is running fine

21 - 34 of 34 Posts