Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was making plans to pick up my new MDX about 4 hours drive away, and found out it threw a P0706 transmission position switch out of range.

They hadn't driven it in a couple weeks, and had to jump it. Now the code isn't there.

This looks like a pretty easy thing to fix. Probably needs either adjusting, or a new switch.

Does anyone know if the code does come back, should it be fine to drive several hours to get it home?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I don't think it can be anything other than a flaky switch or a misadjusted linkage. FWIW, it's not uncommon for the pivot at the end of the cable (that interfaces with the lever on the transmission range switch) to get corroded. When this happens, it takes considerably more effort to move the shift lever (it should be very "loose" normally).

I wouldn't sweat driving a car with this potential problem. I'd recommend doing a few "shifter rows" (swiping the shift lever from park to 1/2 and back several times) to clean the contacts in the switch and generally loosen things up. If the code never comes back, I'd forget about it. If it does, I'd try an adjustment, and if that didn't work, a new switch.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts