Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the reply Carpayment4life. My state does not have emissions. My check emission light comes and goes. I got my MPG up to 21.3 which seems pretty good for this car so I don’t think the cat is completely clogged. Like I said I plan to keep the X for a couple more years and at this point I am going to ride it out. My local Honda/Acura shop told me to drive it until performance suffers and then would need to replace cat. I’m just wondering if I’m keeping for two years - why not just replace cat and not have to deal with CEL all the time. Any thoughts?
Not to mention if the cat is clogged, performance is already suffering...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was driving in the Yellowstone when the P0420 light came up. My car now has 150k and the light came after I filled up with Sinclair Dino power 92 lol so I gave it a try and I am here looking for answer to the problem. I drove up to Glacier National Park and filled up with Sinclair Dino power again with 91 no ethanol version. After I arrived, I realized there is no more CEL anymore. Hopefully tomorrow it won’t show up again and I hope it was just a bad batch of 92

·
Registered
777 Posts
I was driving in the Yellowstone when the P0420 light came up. My car now has 150k and the light came after I filled up with Sinclair Dino power 92 lol so I gave it a try and I am here looking for answer to the problem. I drove up to Glacier National Park and filled up with Sinclair Dino power again with 91 no ethanol version. After I arrived, I realized there is no more CEL anymore. Hopefully tomorrow it won’t show up again and I hope it was just a bad batch of 92
In all reality you have entered the on again off again zone, which at 150K is fully expected. These cars left the factory with ECU settings that caused early failure on the rear cat.

·
Registered
32 Posts
In all reality you have entered the on again off again zone, which at 150K is fully expected. These cars left the factory with ECU settings that caused early failure on the rear cat.
Oh darn, should I go back to dealer and talk to them about TSB like the 2007, I really wonder if they will do anything. I really missed my K24 in my 2008 CR-V the engine was pretty solid.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Oh darn, should I go back to dealer and talk to them about TSB like the 2007, I really wonder if they will do anything. I really missed my K24 in my 2008 CR-V the engine was pretty solid.
Up to you, but unfortunately the horse is out of the barn so to speak. Since I don't live in a smog check area I did the "non-fouler" hack and my light has been out for 9K miles. I had a friend check it out and he told me that the flow is fine, it just doesn't clean up the exhaust quite enough to meet the ECU's expectations. A bunch of reading and I came to the conclusion this is the most common scenario where performance is not impeded. Some have reported even being able to pass a smog test given that the local testing threshold and the level the ECU is programmed for frequently don't match. The issue with the ECU is it delivers a tad too much fuel when the engine is cold causing the cat to "fail" prematurely thus the "below threshold" message.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Just FYI to all who is getting catalyst system efficiency below threshold message, this is due to cat is getting clogged or even worse ceramic core getting damaged. If so ceramic particles will travel upstream and damage/scratch cylinder walls.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts