Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a check engine light and the code I'm reading is P0 128 that says the coolant temperature I believe for the transmission is below operating temp has anyone ever gotten that code and is it being caused by the fact that my transmission cooler is working too well

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Or does it mean engine coolant temp. My engine is currently running at about a hundred and seventy-nine degrees and should be at regular operating temp what is the thermostat for this vehicle I would have thought it would have been closer to 195

·
Registered
6 Posts
Engine coolant temperature is below that expected.

When this happened to me the thermostat was stuck open. Could also be the sensor.
You might want to start by measuring the actual temperature of the water entering the radiator. An inexpensive IR temp gun could do the trick. Or I also noticed that when trying to use the heater the air was not as warm as usual.
Good luck,

Russ

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've discovered factory thermostat is only 170°, I am a bit shocked. It appears to have stuck open momentarily, but appears fine now.... I'll keep an eye on it

·
Registered
267 Posts
Change that thermostat soon!
It's a cheap change (I think 1 hour) but it can cause a whole bunch of future problems including a blown head gasket.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got one from O'Reilly, Murray brand I think..I then had second thoughts about that brand, returned it, got an oe manufacturer one from Napa, Tama brand. Install to come soon...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New thermostat put in. I guess I don't need to tell you what the problem was when you look at the pic

Here is the part I replaced it with

Carry on and fear not the DIY.
Bratcop

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did it in about 30 mins, didn't change hose, drained radiator into clean bucket and reused antifreeze

1 - 12 of 12 Posts