Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another plug for Tim. I ordered this ATF cooler from his company.

I installed this ATF cooler on our '14 MDX base. I don't plan on towing but want to extend the AT life. Am I wasting my time and $? Maybe...

The installation was easy. It took about 2.5 hours to complete the task. Need plenty of patience or risking damaging self or the car:19:

After removing the engine bulkhead cover and air filter resonator, look to the left side and down of the battery, you will find the ATF filter. I did not know 3rd Gen has the ATF external filter (P/N 25430-PLR-003) until someone from this forum mentioned it under another thread. It was difficult to remove the hoses from the filter and the transmission pipe. Tip: rotate the hose left and right to break the "seal" from the metal barb of the filter and transmission pipe. Once it is free to rotate, you can pull the hose out with ease. Another difficulty was getting the ATF cooler in the position since space was tight between the radiator and subframe. It took me a while to fasten the bottom bolt to the cooler and the support bracket. Tip: look (from the outside) at the bottom of the nose grill (see attached photo), you will be able to fasten upper and lower bolts for the ATF cooler easier. My knuckles were cut up from the radiator fins for doing it the hard way.

You will need to remove the front bumper skid trim to gain access to the ATF filter and ATF cooler hoses from the bottom of the SUV. I lifted the front end with a floor jack and secured it with the jack stands.

Once all the connections were made, I added 3.75 quarts. Ran the engine for about 5 minutes. Drove the SUV in out of the garage. Checked the fluid level, it didn't register. I added another 100 ml increment (no fun if it were overfilled), drove in and out of the garage. Checked...nope. Needed more. I repeated this process 3 more times. Finally got the fluid in between the two dots on the dipstick. :29: I was a bit surprised the cooler capacity is approximately 0.9 quarts? Seems a lot to me. I double and triple checked for leaks, especially at the connection points and drain plug. I touched the ATF cooler and it was hot (verifying for proper installation).

Our MDX has about 34K miles, so I drained and filled the ATF fluid 3 times prior to the installation. I replaced the ATF filter as well (I don't know if it was necessary but I was in the area). I did the fourth drain and fill with the cooler. Not too difficult task. Tip: measure the fluid coming out so you know an approximate amount going in.

Since my hands were dirty and the car was open, I changed the radiator fluid and flushed the brake lines. SUV is good until the next oil change.

I encourage for all those on the fence regarding DIY. Changing fluids and maintenance tasks are not difficult. Just need some patience and tools. Learn from here and youtube videos. Save yourself some money!:roadtrip:

Attached photo: the ATF cooler is fastened with 4 bolts and positioned in from of the radiator. The cooler position is more bias to the right from the center line.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Woah that cooler looks really, really tiny.... It is way smaller than the 2G OEM Cooler

Here is your pic:

Is that cooler specific to the FWD or this is for both FWD and SH-AWD Models?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Woah that cooler looks really, really tiny.... It is way smaller than the 2G OEM Cooler

Is that cooler specific to the FWD or this is for both FWD and SH-AWD Models?
I believe all FWD models don't come with a factory installed cooler because they are not designed for towing. Generally, you want the rear axel to power the vehicle while towing because the weight will bear on the rear...more stable. Conversely, for FWD, you won't have much traction due to weight shift to the rear. Please correct if I'm wrong anyone out there.

For sure AWD, this cooler is appropriate, perhaps necessary for towing to keep transmission operating cooler.

I agree with you, your cooler is much bigger. Wonder if the 3rd gen, they engineered a more efficient way to draw the heat away from the tranny?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
When I google the part number it seems that the part also fits the TL SH-AWD.. Seems fitting for the TL for its weight but not the heavier MDX specially if that is the Tow Hitch Cooler.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I tried towing a 2000lbs trailer with my 2014 FWD MDX and measuring through OBD2 connector, with ambient temp of 72F after about 10 mls transmission fluid temp went up to 186F.
Still completely safe I think, but a ATF cooler might be a good idea as I will sometimes be towing the max FWD allowed 3500 lbs.

I have checked several sellers and with all, the original cooler kit (1 in the diagram) is always offered without the support bracket (B-46 in the diagram), I don't understand this as you will need the bracket too.
Did you order the bracket seperately, if so, what is the part# and cost?

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
This is the same ATF cooler I added to my 2015 MDX advance awd. The bracket was factory installed on my vehicle and did not come with the ATF kit. I found it very helpful to remove the battery and battery tray which gives much easier access to the hose connections. Hardest part for me was figuring out how to route the hoses in an area where you are completely blind. Finally got them routed properly and they lined up exactly right.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I live outside the US owning the G3 2014 MDX imported from the US and as the Acura brand doesn't exist here, I have to get parts through Honda (the few things I needed till now were not a problem, however I did just find out the Honda dealership cannot supply the ATF cooler, it isn't possible to order here. So if I want one, I will need to source it from a US seller)

As my car now has about 38K mls, I first want to change the ATF and asked the Honda dealer here about availability of Honda DW-1 08200-9008 (being the same as Acura 08200-9008A)

To my surprise they couldn't find the number and researched further.

They found out the PN 08200-9008 is discontinued and told me the new Honda DW-1 PN is: 08268-999(-01HE)
Can anyone confirm that this is indeed the revised correct ATF for my 2014 MDX

1 - 7 of 7 Posts