Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

A few weeks ago, my wife was waiting in her 2004 MDX for about 30 minutes while the vehicle idled with the AC on (I am in florida). She then shut down the vehicle and came back to restart it in 15 minutes and it struggled to start and was running rough initially. SHe eventually got it started and it triggered the following code.
P2197 - Oxy Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck Lean Bank 2 Sensor 1
P2195 - Oxy Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck Lean Bank 1 Sensor 1

Yesterday same thing happen again on restart after she parked for 45 minutes while idling except this time I got some new codes as well

P2197 - Oxy Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck Lean Bank 2 Sensor 1
P2195 - Oxy Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck Lean Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0300 - Multiple Misfires Detected
P0306 - Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected
P0305 - Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected
P0304 - Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
P0302 - Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
P0301 - Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected

Any ideas whats causing this? So far it only seem to happen on restart after the vehicle has been idling for a period of time. Does that give any clues as to what might be causing this?

AS always, thank you

jasguild

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I'm betting it's "boiling gas" - different brands and blends will act differently, and of course, there are things that can go wrong with the evaporative system that can cause odd fuel pressure issues. Next time this happens, have her unscrew the fuel filler and see if there's a lot of pressure (or suction).

The easy answer - have her avoid idling for 30+ minutes at a time. ;-)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm betting it's "boiling gas" - different brands and blends will act differently, and of course, there are things that can go wrong with the evaporative system that can cause odd fuel pressure issues. Next time this happens, have her unscrew the fuel filler and see if there's a lot of pressure (or suction).

The easy answer - have her avoid idling for 30+ minutes at a time. ;-)
Could it also be a blown head gasket? I recently changed my spark plugs, and discovered oil on 1 of the plugs (All the others were dry), which caused the discovery. I have all the same codes and the rough idling. Scheduling to have the gasket repaired soon.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Oil on the plug can come from bad rings (which won't be fixed if you go to the trouble of a head gasket job), so make sure you have a good diagnosis (I'd recommend doing compression testing to see if cylinder 1 is low). Check your PCV valve as well, as excessive pressure in the crankcase can cause oil blowby (or the blowby can cause excessive pressure, too - but the PCV is cheap and easy to check / replace).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oil on the plug can come from bad rings (which won't be fixed if you go to the trouble of a head gasket job), so make sure you have a good diagnosis (I'd recommend doing compression testing to see if cylinder 1 is low). Check your PCV valve as well, as excessive pressure in the crankcase can cause oil blowby (or the blowby can cause excessive pressure, too - but the PCV is cheap and easy to check / replace).
thanks will do!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could it also be a blown head gasket? I recently changed my spark plugs, and discovered oil on 1 of the plugs (All the others were dry), which caused the discovery. I have all the same codes and the rough idling. Scheduling to have the gasket repaired soon.
In my case though, I only have rough idle when I do a restart after a long period of idle. Normally my idle is smooth. Is yours idling rough all the time?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Basically, if you shake it and it rattles, clean it up and put it back in. OTOH, they're so cheap it's almost better to just order a new one and replace it rather than even looking at the old one. That's what I'd do if my car had the symptoms yours does.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts