Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This forum is the MDX Mecca. I have learned from the wise ones, laughed at the silliness and found a great place to buy accessories (thanks Tim). Something I haven’t seen addressed on the board has happened to me, so I offer my experience to y’all in hopes it doesn’t happen to you.

When I took APLZ in for the 3750 mile oil change appointment, I mentioned my highly-paid service consultant that the moon roof COVER rattled (vibrated) sometimes, which required the driver to push the COVER back toward the rear to stop the rattle. I also mentioned that the COVER managed to inch its way forward and begin to rattle again over time. I even showed my highly-paid service consultant what I was talking about as I pushed the COVER back to the stop. "Please fix this" I asked. My highly-paid service consultant, ignoring my demonstration, heard "moonroof," pushed it up, with greater force than I would have ever dared, and declared our beloved APLZ in need of the Acura TSB for the squeaky moon roof. "But," I implored, "the moonroof doesn't squeak, it's the cover, look!" "We'll take care of it sir..." So I left APLZ in the hands of my highly-paid service consultant, who in-turn gave it to the highly-priced Acura-certified maintenance technicians to change the oil and fix our moonroof.

About two weeks after my highly-paid service consultant gave APLZ to the highly-priced Acura-certified maintenance technicians to change the oil and fix our moonroof, the most annoying, uncontrollable rattling, scraping and vibrating began in the moonroof. I can’t explain the sound fully, because neither it nor its location could be pinpointed. Believe me, it was enough to drive anyone insane.

Four days ago, I decided either the noise was going, or APLZ was going (a decision I’m not really allowed to make since APLZ is my wife’s car, but I thought the threat might help my case). So off I went down the road…I closed the moonroof COVER, NOISE, opened the moonroof COVER, NOISE, pushed on the moonroof like my highly-paid service consultant, NOISE, yelled at the moonroof (I know, that was stupid, but I was getting pretty peeved), NOISE, opened the moonroof…ahh, it stopped…closed the moonroof…hey it started again…hmm…what’s different. I know, that friggin’ TSB is different. In my defense, both the temp and humidity levels here in central Alabama have been in the upper 90’s, so I hadn’t wanted to actually open the moonroof until now. When I got home, I opened the moonroof and pulled about 7 feet of “Honda Squeak Reduction Tape” out of the moonroof opening. As I pulled it out, I noticed that it looked as if it had been applied by a drunken sailor…wavy doesn’t begin to describe it. It was then I realized that I’m in the wrong business if this is the best an $85/hour Acura-certified maintenance technician can do. It of course left a sticky, gooey residue that I’m still rubbing off, but low-and-behold, the noises are gone.

There’s an old adage that states “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” I should have been more insistent about the moonroof itself not being the problem…

Everyone, have a great week!

jnbsdad

·
Registered
671 Posts
3750 mile oil change? Not the first 3750, right?

I have been told that my problems don't exist - not that it's any consolation, but at least the recognized some problem! I can't even get them to notice the problems I have! I'm talking about squeaks and rattles, mostly (not all of which are on the X).

Example: A couple weeks after getting my X I noticed three problems --- steering wheel moves slightly up and down, driver's seat clicks when turning, and driver's door is hard to close. The service consultant, while moving my steering wheel up and down, claimed that it wasn't moving and that I must be real sensitive! He then told me that he never heard of the seat clicking and never even asked for a demonstration, he simply acted like it must not be clicking because he had never heard of that before! The driver's door closed for him every time he slammed if, thus declaring that there was nothing wrong with the door. To his credit I have to add that he checked to see if there was any way to adjust the door and he said that there wasn't an adjustment to make it close easier. As it turned out, the door seems to close okay now that it's a few month old, so maybe he was right! The steering wheel hasn't moved since that day, so maybe he was right again! The driver's seat still clicks, but not as often! When I left the dealership that day the sales manager asked me if I had gotten everything taken care of, and all I could say was 'the problems are all in my head' because that's what the service guy made me think!

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
AcuraMDX2002 said:
3750 mile oil change? Not the first 3750, right?

I have been told that my problems don't exist - not that it's any consolation, but at least the recognized some problem! I can't even get them to notice the problems I have! I'm talking about squeaks and rattles, mostly (not all of which are on the X).

Example: A couple weeks after getting my X I noticed three problems --- steering wheel moves slightly up and down, driver's seat clicks when turning, and driver's door is hard to close. The service consultant, while moving my steering wheel up and down, claimed that it wasn't moving and that I must be real sensitive! He then told me that he never heard of the seat clicking and never even asked for a demonstration, he simply acted like it must not be clicking because he had never heard of that before! The driver's door closed for him every time he slammed if, thus declaring that there was nothing wrong with the door. To his credit I have to add that he checked to see if there was any way to adjust the door and he said that there wasn't an adjustment to make it close easier. As it turned out, the door seems to close okay now that it's a few month old, so maybe he was right! The steering wheel hasn't moved since that day, so maybe he was right again! The driver's seat still clicks, but not as often! When I left the dealership that day the sales manager asked me if I had gotten everything taken care of, and all I could say was 'the problems are all in my head' because that's what the service guy made me think!
There is a fix for the seat. There is a technical service bullitin on it. The track has to be replaced or tightened. You have to tell the dealer you want the TSB fix for the drivers seat and the service manager will look up in the computer and fix it. As far as the door and the wheel I haven't heard of anything.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Door Hard to Close

AcuraMDX2002,

I assume you mean that door didn't fully close unless you slammed it? If so, we had a problem with left [driver side] rear door. Showed problem to dealer and they fixed it [they adjusted the latch].

All is well with our X, good luck with yours.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts