Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many miles do you have on your MDX? I have an 07 model and it is in pretty good condition. Had the timing belt changed a couple of months ago and I have had some sensors recently go out, but other than that it seems to be in good condition. But my question is how many miles can I get out of this thing? It has 187000 miles and I don’t want to buy a new car but I don’t know how much life this one has left. Anyone with older models and high miles? Advice?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a 2001 touring with 198 and its been a pretty good vehicle. Did the timing belt (year ago- second time) water pump (all new parts that needed to go with this service changed), TC was changed under warranty a few years ago anda blower motor transistor for the rear ac.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
My '04 has 237,000 miles, and has been ridiculously reliable. Other than optional things I did to make it more like-new (like struts, shocks, control arms, tie rod ends) I've had to put very little money into it. It's on its third timing belt, and will be coming up on another valve adjustment interval before too long (I do a LOT of long road trips!).

The weak point is the transmissions, which almost always keep working as long as they have regular fluid changes. Buying a different used car is a roll of the dice - there's a good chance you'd be getting rid of an MDX that has LOTS of trouble-free miles left, exchanging it for a vehicle that's going to have problems.

·
Registered
278 Posts
You have an 06 or 07? If you have an 07 you have the section gen mdx..

I have an 05 and it's getting closer to 180k (bought it with 150k in 2016) doing a 4k mile road trip coming up next month so doing some much needed ..maintenance. replacing the radiator and new break pads and rotors all around at a local mechanic since I just don't have time to do it myself unfortunately but they only charge 500-600 for the breaks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have an 06 with 170k miles on it. Ive had some small issues after purchase, like breaks or battery replacement, but other than that the engine and the trans seem to work perfectly. A car mechanic took it for a test drive, and freaked out when he saw 170k miles on it. He said he was expecting 50-60k nbase don ho wthe car looked and drove. I agree.

·
Registered
32 Posts
We have a 2002 with 250,000 and still going beautifully. One seat seam stitching has come out. Otherwise, the interior looks well below 100k.

I remember cars from the 60s and 70s that looked FAR worse at 60k than the MDX at 250,000. And don't even discuss one of those cars going over 100k.

But I should add that we finally broke down and bought a new car for longer drives. But that's for another Honda board (a Civic Type R)

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have 04 MDX with 265K miles. All original including transmission. All I did was follow regular maintenance and just replaced wear items (brakes, engine mounts, suspension struts, interior light bulbs, battery, etc) and some minor repairs like door actuators and window regulators which was DIY repair for me. MDX has been very reliable and plan to drive well beyond 300K miles. If your MDX was well maintained, you got lot of troublefree mileage left.

·
Registered
13 Posts
New member here, I have an 01 that I just bought 2 weeks ago for 1300 cad. It's got 350k km about 218k miles. Running strong, timing belt was changed, brakes are new and front end work was recently done to it.

Very happy with it so far and it seems pretty solid!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 2001 with 250k miles, and my only big issue was a transmission replacement which I highly suspect was needed due to a shop doing a transmission flush (which I did not ask for) and thus ruined the tranny. My current plan is to drive it to 300k, or another 4 years. In last 2 years I have added remote start, new head unit so I have CarPlay and all the handsfree audio stuff, satellite radio, back up camera and last year I had the exterior detailed so the paint and finish is now gorgeous - with the added ceramic coating, so washes are a breeze and it protects the paint from little chips. I failed to properly maintain my leather seats for years, and could tell they were probably going to start failing if I didn't fix it - but have recently been working leather conditioner into them and will be doing a major push on that with some Leatherique as soon as it warms up more here. Apparently car detailers tell me this will be the fix to really get that conditioner down deep, and prolong the life of the leather - which by the way look almost 100% anyway, just some slight aging in the driver's seat, of course. I took my office team to lunch in the car just yesterday, and they all are amazed at how perfect the car looks and runs, and even started asking me for tips on how I've managed to keep it looking so nice. So I think I started bragging there and really just meant to say, properly cared for and maintained as you would normally do with something that you pay so much for, you could have another 100k or more miles out of your 07. Drive it til you're sick of it, or joke to your kids you just want to drive it til you both die, and then be buried in it...lol. Check the thread "How many miles" and you will see some claims of over 400k miles, I believe. At 150k I decided to save money and put in regular gas "since the car was getting so old, why bother" but recently switched back to premium, partly to see if I could get better gas mileage - which honestly is about the only thing bothering me about driving an older car. I'm still getting 18 mpg out of a tank, combo city/hwy - but that lower gas mileage could be the reason I abandon my 300k plan early and finally break down for a new car. I'm looking at the MDX hybrid, or whatever comes on the market over the next 4 years, if something really cool, maybe I'll do it - we'll see. Meantime, I'm considering getting sidesteps as my next add to my 1st generation beauty. There is no reason you can't get as many miles out of it as you want, is the short answer. Cheers. PS re the transmission, it was 3 years ago so the cost has long since been validated as I continue to drive a paid off car, and can keep saving for an eventual replacement. (Repair cost vs remaining life analysis - validated!)

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.