Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone is currently using an oversized oil filter on their MDX.

I was surprised to see how small the oil filter is on our 3.7, especially if I compare it to the filter used on my 02 TL-P.

Upon close observations, i can determine it is the same thread and the gasket is "pretty d$mn close"....

I am considering using the same filter for both my TL and MDX...

Thoughts.?
J.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I don't know about the fitment, but I know the stock size seems to work perfectly fine at reasonable intervals. I've had oil analysis performed at 9k-10k mile intervals and the oil was perfectly fine.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agreed... I just like to have as much oil circulating in the system as much as possible..
also the bigger the filter, the more filter medium and even possibly... an ever so slightly better cooling factor (yes.. marginal at best)
I am the type to have the sump on the *slightly* overfull side...

Hey anything that can up the efficiency / protection.. ! :)
J.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Which one are you using?

In my 2G TL-S i use HP-1004
Height
3.406 in (87 mm)
Outside Diameter
3.156 in (80 mm)

in my MDX I use HP-1010
Height
3.75 in (95 mm)
Outside Diameter
2.688 in (68 mm)

This is irrelevant anyway as the 3.7L do not differ much from other J Series Engines... The Filter size is more than generous, This is not a Domestic engine that needs a gigantic Filter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been told that the larger the filter, the more time is spent filling that instead of that oil going to other components. Some filters have a check valve but they generally don't work very well.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which one are you using?

In my 2G TL-S i use HP-1004
Height
3.406 in (87 mm)
Outside Diameter
3.156 in (80 mm)

in my MDX I use HP-1010
Height
3.75 in (95 mm)
Outside Diameter
2.688 in (68 mm)

This is irrelevant anyway as the 3.7L do not differ much from other J Series Engines... The Filter size is more than generous, This is not a Domestic engine that needs a gigantic Filter.
Fair enough .. i have used some K&N quite some time ago... these are .. umm *pricey* in Canuck-land.. I dont buy those any longer.
I use Carquest (Wix) # R84356 the TL used the R85334.. the difference is noticeable.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been told that the larger the filter, the more time is spent filling that instead of that oil going to other components. Some filters have a check valve but they generally don't work very well.
Thanks for you input, your point holds only if you do not pre-fill the filter on the initial installation of the filter..
Our filter sits in the valve up position, therefore the filter will remain full. Once the filter if full .. its stays full.
I agree that there some less than ideal (Fr$m) valve performances... A good quality filter with a dependable drain back valve are readily available.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
TL uses a shorter but wider OD while the MDX uses a taller but thinner OD..
Sounds legit to me.

The Carquest MDX filter is even smaller than K&N´s, Perhaps that is the issue?
R84356:
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Height (in): 3.35
Non Slip Grip: No
Outside Diameter (in): 2.67

VS

K&N HP-1010
Height: 3.75 in (95 mm)
Outside Diameter: 2.688 in (68 mm)

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you're installing a larger filter in hopes of increasing filtration capacity, you're better off just purchasing a higher quality filter. Changing the engines oil system may affect the oil pressure which several components (including iVTEC) rely on.

·
Registered
138 Posts
If you're installing a larger filter in hopes of increasing filtration capacity, you're better off just purchasing a higher quality filter. Changing the engines oil system may affect the oil pressure which several components (including iVTEC) rely on.
This doesn't make any sense. How could an increase in filtration capacity possibly harm any component in any way? By eliminating a choke point in the system, you allow it to flow more oil.

·
Registered
363 Posts
possible
a larger filter = less flow resistance = lower oil pressure

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Possibly... if one were to -greatly increase- the filter capacity. The OEM and the Carquest filter are fairly close to the same size; appox 250ml (1 cup), if you were to increase the volume to say a full 1000ml, then ok the oil pump may feel the difference.
I think the issue is flow .. not volume. You can have a small filter with a massive filter medium that's very restrictive [ e.g M1 filter have a reputation to filter well.. but VERY restrictive] but drive the pressure up because the pump has to work harder to push the oil through.

I believe [ rightly or wrongly] a good filter is efficient without hugely impeding flow resistance.

So increasing the volume of a filter by .. mmm say 20-25% .. the oil pump should be to handle that with no issues, so that equates to more oil in the system and more filter medium.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
The main issue is that even if you had a large reservoir of Filtered Oil ready there is only so much that can flow though the oil passages of the engine that are usually in the 2-3mm OD range... So even if the OEM Filter was restrictive (Which it isn´t) a bigger oil filter will accomplish nothing as it cannot make more oil to be "Ready" because it can only flow a certain amount through the passages.

The reason people bought oversized Oil Filters in the past was to get more filter area that wont clog up as fast as a filter with a smaller filter medium.. In the present those small filters can filter very well up to 15,000 Miles so it isn´t necessary to considerate a bigger filter with more filter area. Just get a good Filter: K&N HP or Mobil 1 EP and call it a day... Those 2 can go for as long as you feel comfortable using your existing oil change...

·
Registered
17 Posts
This doesn't make any sense. How could an increase in filtration capacity possibly harm any component in any way? By eliminating a choke point in the system, you allow it to flow more oil.
No offense but if you have no background in how pressurized fluids work, I don't think you'll understand. Changing to a larger filter is not only increasing the filtration capacity, you're increasing the effective volume.

If all you're looking to do is increase filtration capacity, just purchase a higher quality OE sized filter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I typically don't try to out-engineer the engineers at the Acura design facility. If putting a larger filter on would perform better, it would likely be standard.

$0.02

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Agreed.. i dont generally try to out engineer the engineers.... especially on the stuff that I cant get to....
and Im not an engineer...
but I have been around long enough to realize that engineers are constantly under pressure to deliver best acceptable minimum , not to cut corners,... but because there is always a bean counter saying... not good enough...... ill stop here.... ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts