Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have information on where I can purchase the trim in tan for an overhead flipdown screen.

I know Audiovox and others have complete bundles but they only come in black. I have the tan interior and want the overhead to match. Any ideas?

I know the 03's have the matching trim on the available dvd option...

please help

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
SPRAY PAINT

Seriously, all the GM interior trim pieces come in one color, to be painted at the dealer.

You will want to disassemble the trim and mask off any thing that will move.

It will work fine.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
bangbang said:
Does anyone have information on where I can purchase the trim in tan for an overhead flipdown screen.

I know Audiovox and others have complete bundles but they only come in black. I have the tan interior and want the overhead to match. Any ideas?

I know the 03's have the matching trim on the available dvd option...

please help
Look in the mobile video section of partsexpress.com. They have all colors, shapes and models of the trim rings.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You may bring the black trimring to any auto upholsterer, who will cover it in actual headlining material...but be aware that audiovox's new 7" overhead unit with enclosed dvd comes in the beige color and a beige trimring. But it is a pricey unit. I chose the audiovox 6.8 inch in black and had beige trimring made for $400.00 less than the 7" unit. The black face matches the radio and transmission black face perfectly.:2:

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Artk:

___You wouldn’t happen to have a digital camera lying around for a pic, would you?

___Thanks in advance.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Art...

Art- Where did you buy from... online/retail.

Did you install the unit yourself?

Does the TV tuner actually work? How about the InfaRED headphones?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Actually, I opted to have the unit installed by a wonderful auto accesory store in Smithtown, New York...Because my son always has his Playstation 2 in the car, and because he also owns a tiny, portable DVD player, I chose not to install a DVD player in the vehicle. And, because there are very few standard TV stations receivable in my area, I decided not to get a "TV" capable unit...I chose an Audiovox 6.8" overhead unit, installed with a custom upholstered trim ring, plus an FM modulator, 2 wireless headphones (which work perfectly) plus a hard wired Inverter and an audiovox remote start which uses my own Acura remote. The total was $1250 for everything. I can add a DVD player or TV-DVD unit plus antenna whenever I like, but I suspect I wont be doing that.

If i preferred, I could have had an Audiovox 7" widescreen unit in beige installed for approximately $1650 (including all of the above). I didn't feel it was worth it.

By the way...these Audiovox units carry a 3 year guarantee.

I hope this helps...I am delighted with the choice I made, and the installation looks great.

Art:2:

·
3,109 Posts
ArtK said:
...Because my son always has his Playstation 2 in the car, and because he also owns a tiny, portable DVD player, I chose not to install a DVD player in the vehicle.

I can add a DVD player or TV-DVD unit plus antenna whenever I like, but I suspect I wont be doing that.
I always thought you could use the PS2 as a DVD Playler?

now to answer myself :D after surfing sony.com:

Yes, you can. Just need a $20 remote: http://us.playstation.com/hardware/more/SCPH-10171.asp

·
Registered
27 Posts
The remote you describe for PS2 can be purchased on ebay for under $10.00...and the unit can play DVD's even without it, although it is less convenient...I was simply describing how, if one was always going to have a PS2 in the car, it wasnt absolutely necessary to install a DVD player...although the image is reportedly slightly better...but on a 7" screen, the difference is hardly important except to a purist sitting in the back. I have kids in the back of the car who are delighted.....

Art:2:

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I don't know about you guys but I rarely ever use the DVD remotes I have at home. I start the DVD (yes I do use it to skip advertisements) and then play. If you were considering the wireless PS2 controllers that MDXtrous has, you could always use one as your remote for the PS2 DVD player without the wires. The only issue may be line-of-sight for the controller to the console.

I'm planning on a PSOne in my X and a seperate DVD player capable of VCDs and SVCDs. I have a lot of PSOne titles and they are more geared to young children (of which I have 1). The PSOne is also very, very small and could fit in the armrest if I wanted to put it there with A/V inputs and either a DC power converter or 12v connection that the PSOne can run on.

Just some suggestions. When I do mine, I'll post pics.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What DVD unit did you use?

Stewart-

What DVD unit are u using...

Where will u install the DVD unit?

How much do you estimate for installation?

Can u use infared headphones with the unit?

BB

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am very lucky to have a friend who does custom installs and he will do the package for me at his home. Total cost for install to include new speakers and sub all around, 6 disc changer ( under driver seat)
overhead flipdown 7" with dvd player ( under passanger seat) and amp in back to power it all (soundsource 705ss ) $350.00
TV will be tvview 7" woodgrain
DVD Soundstorm 6.3"wx2"h x 6.14" d (tiny unit)
cd/mp3 6 disc changer Alpine CHA-S634
SPEAKERS infinity perfect compmonents frony
infinity 63.5i rear
kicker solobaric 10' SUB
Cant wait till the weekend to get it all done.
The wireless headphones you can get anywhere.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
AMP?

Do I need an amp. if I just want to put in the flip down and dvd unit?

Does the wood grain on the flip down look similar to the MDX wood grain?

·
Registered
12 Posts
You do not need an amp to run the TV but do need an FM modulator to run through the existing car stereo. The actual color of the woodgrain is not exact but close enough that it will appear as a match because it is sitting up high.
Rember that this will be mounted on the roof and not next to an existing piece of factory trim, so any slight difference in color will go unnoticed. If you really want to get a killer look and spend a few more bucks (130.00) Buy yourself the aftermarket OEM wood match kit that will give you more pieces to add to the X and will just make your flipdown an extension of all the wood. ( Available on Ebay) Some pieces will be too much and you can just not install. Hope this helps.
PS I found a better price for you. Follow this link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32826&item=1944225985&rd=1
How can you go better than $229.00 ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Infared

Where does the InFared Headphones read from... Is there a sensor on the monitor or the DVD unit? In other words, how do I know that wireless headphones will work on a composed unit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Painting Trim Ring

Has anyone painted the plastic trim ring that comes with a flip down monitor. Talked to folks at Home Depot whom advised against it, saying paint would peel off. Am trying to match the tan color (saddle) of the MDX, don't even know where to get the paint. I may just leave it grey........ its a Sony XVRM75 flip down. thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts