Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a '14 Tech with 11,000 miles on it. I've only owned the car for about 4 months, having bought it used from an Acura dealer.

My problem is nearly every time I fill up with gas, the auto-shutoff pump does not turn off quickly enough to prevent gas from coming out of the filler hole. The gas comes out and overflows while the spout is still in the tank, before I've even touched it to start pulling it out.

Half the time, gas comes out of the filler hole and spills onto the paint. I never try to top-off the tank after it shuts off--that is not the issue here.

I make sure the pump nozzle is in tight. I've experienced this at a number of different stations and have started taking videos of it. I tried to get my local dealer to inspect it and they said on the phone that it is a problem with the gas pump, not the car.

Does anyone have any input on what the issue is here? For what it's worth I'm not new to cars, even have another '14 Acura (ILX) and this is the first time I've had this sort of issue with any car. I really don't think the problem is with my filling technique, but am open to any suggestions.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Well, then you have a vent issue. It is likely whoever owned it before kept topping it off so need to check that vent line to make sure it's not clogged. Not sure why the dealer thinks this is not a problem with the car if you've had the experience at a number of DIFFERENT gas stations. Try another dealer as they seem incompetent to the nth degree.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, I'm following up on this issue where my MDX would shoot gas out of the fill hole.

I showed videos of the issue to a tech at a different Acura dealer, and he took the MDX and diagnosed the problem as a defective gas tank. The entire tank was then replaced under warranty.

The gas has only been filled one time since, but no gas came out. The dealer even gave me a full tank of gas as a part of their test!

I got a bit lucky-- the tech who helped me had owned one of the Jeep Wranglers that were notorious for this problem. He said they had never seen the issue before with an Acura. The video is what really helped me convey that something was very wrong.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Thanks for the update! When it comes to warranty issues, it really does come down to shopping dealers against each other. I use three different dealers here in socal until I get someone who seems competent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts