Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...had it three times so far in 8000 miles...never had it before with previous cars...blamed it on the pump/nozzle initially and changed the station but it kept on doing it...
Dealer looked into it and said everything was ok.
Anybody else having a similar problem?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Yep, happened once

During part of our 2500 mile round trip from Boston to Atlanta. Somewhere in North Carolina, I latched the filler handle while I washed the windows. Suddenly gas was flowing out the fuel filler neck all over the pavement. I shut off the pump and tried to sop up the gas with paper towels - it just kept flowing and flowing... The pavement was sloping to the rear so (after cursing the Confederacy) I raced across the street to a Hardee's so I could park the car with its rear end facing uphill. After a quick bite and some wet paper towels to clear away any remaining gas from the then three week old finish, we continued on our journey. No similar problem since.

Possible causes:
1)the pavement the MDX was parked on while filling up was sloping to the rear, causing a sudden rush once the tank reached 'Full' level.
2)It was a very hot day and the gas was cool, causing it to expand rapidly once in the MDX.
3)They ain't got none of those auto shuttoff thingies on there gas pumps in N.C.

(my sincere apologies to members from the Tar Heel State - your Apple II+ can render HTML can't it?)

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
It's happened to me once or twice, I make a point of reporting it to the owners (asking for a free car wash is an incentive for them to fix it!)

·
681 Posts
Not Yet

So far no problem, but over the years I have learned to not ever trust those gizmos, they take a lot of abuse and vary widely in their trigger thresholds.
Here is SC, they apparently don't allow them any more.

Meep Meep

·
Registered
15 Posts
gas overflow

This has happened once to me also - had approx 1500 miles logged. This has NEVER happened to me in any other car for the last 15 years... It does make you wonder.

·
Registered
580 Posts
yep happened twice--

to my husband, he thought he would top it off and make the money even. Well we don't do that anymore. If it stops at some odd cents we just keep it that way now. I don't want my wax wore off just to get even cents.

Lmeans

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So it looks like I'm not alone...have to mention that last time it happened to me, the pump did stop at full (!!!) but gas was coming out from the tank! I took the nozzle out but it kept flowing for about 2 minutes (if not more), spilling half a gallon or so! Weird!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Happened to me once when I went to top it off. I only put about 10 more cents worth into the tank before it overflowed. No more topping off in the MDX. In the Benz, I can top off as much as a half gallon without any problems.

·
Registered
96 Posts
No problem with fill ups..... I usually do top off tank to "the brim", and check mileage with a calculator, to compare to trip computer (VERY close)... no problems with spillage... perhaps a teaspoon or two... that's it!

·
Registered
29 Posts
No More Top Offs!!!!!!!

I too have had overflow spills when attempting to top off to the nearest .25 point. Just last week I attempted to add .11 to get to the $26.00 point, it overflowed at $25.96.

NO more top offs for me!!!

Dan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Got it good on the way to work

Yep happened to me twice when I tried to top the tank off..... First time it was on my way to work and the gass spilled on my shoes.... I went into work stinking like gas..... snif snif

·
Registered
59 Posts
Include me in the tank-toppers/gas-shoe club. I could not believe that you can't even squeeze another 10-15 cents into the tank/filler-neck before flood!
I learn something new about this vehicle everyday.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I just got back from a 1300 mile trip and tried topping off just to see and never had a problem. I have had an overflow problem once, but it wasn't from topping off, but rather I think the gas pump just didn't "shut off" as it was supposed to.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
elf89 said:
Can you believe I had to try this? Sure enough, mine overflows if you try to top it off, too. Doh!
Elf,try to avoid those signs that say "Wet Paint" :D:D:D

·
Registered
681 Posts
It happened to me. This is my fourth tank fill-ups (the first one from the dealer at delivery). It was a hot day, over 103 degrees along I5, pulled into a Shell station (at the exit to Bakerfield) to fill up. When full, I removed the nozzle (definitely not an overfill since nothing ozzed out at all) and put it back into the stand. When I picked up the cap and sbout to start to screew in, the gas oozed out. Even when I closed the cap, it still ozzed out a little bit more. Overall, I think I lost about a pint of gas.

I think the theory of " 2)It was a very hot day and the gas was cool, causing it to expand rapidly once in the MDX " makes lot of sense. But this never occurs for all my car in the past, including those with pressurized gas tanks like the Toyota Avalom and Lexus RX/300.

This is a fire hazard and I will definitely talk to my dealer about this issue.

·
Registered
580 Posts
elf89 said:
Can you believe I had to try this? Sure enough, mine overflows if you try to top it off, too. Doh!
elf89,

I have a stupid question. Why did you have to try to do this after reading these posts? Didn't you believe us? :( O.K. 2 stupid questions. O.K. 1 more question, do you watch the Simpsons alot? "Doh" :D
Lmeans

·
Registered
20 Posts
Gas Overflow

I had the same problem when we went on a 3,500 miles trip last month.

It happened three times. In all three, I was washing the windows and wasn't even near the nozzle. Luckily the pump automatically shut off.

I would say this is a problem.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts