Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,I just checked the ticket on my last service. The ticket says a quantity of 6. I checked the oil and it is definitely over. Going back Monday to have them drain the oil. Advisor says in 3.5 years of hybrids,no one else has brought that up. I noticed my first oil change ticket says the same thing,6. Same dealer.
I wonder what damage may have been caused? I have had no issues or leaks. Advisor says there is no way they could put 6 quarts in. I have 25,000 miles on the car now.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If they had put in 5.3 qts, would they state exactly 5.3 qts, and charge 5.3 x $10/qt?
Negative, they'll state 6 qts, and charge accordingly.

·
Registered
512 Posts
If they had put in 5.3 qts, would they state exactly 5.3 qts, and charge 5.3 x $10/qt?
Negative, they'll state 6 qts, and charge accordingly.
Not necessarily. The shop I worked at entered 5.3 on the work order if that is what the engine called for and billed for 5.3.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If it's overfilled for 1.5 qts, I would drain it myself or have it drained. That's way too much overfilled to comfortably drive 45 min distance. If I overfilled mine by 10%, I wouldn't worry, but 33% over?

I have and used Mityvac 7201 for evacuate oil through dipstick, piece of cake.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I was out of town in San Antonio when my 1st oil change was due on my 19 Hybrid. Down to the local Acura dealership for the change and I usually don't check afterwards. I'm glad I checked because they added 5.7 quarts instead of 4.5 quarts of oil. Either they didn't know I had a hybrid or they just assumed the 3.5L and 3.0L MDXs took the same amount of oil.

Took it back the next day to drain some out and it was still over filled by almost 1 qt. They kept on telling me it was OK to drive with that oil level both times it was overfilled. Went down to the closest auto parts store and purchased 5 individual quarts of Mobil 1 and only gave the dealership 4 of them. Told them to just put in 4 quarts and I will top off later. Took 3 times to get my oil level to the correct level at the Acura dealership.

I also need to double-check when the 7DCT and rear electric motor are due for an oil change because those take different fluids compared to the 3.5L sh-awd model.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was out of town in San Antonio when my 1st oil change was due on my 19 Hybrid. Down to the local Acura dealership for the change and I usually don't check afterwards. I'm glad I checked because they added 5.7 quarts instead of 4.5 quarts of oil. Either they didn't know I had a hybrid or they just assumed the 3.5L and 3.0L MDXs took the same amount of oil.

Took it back the next day to drain some out and it was still over filled by almost 1 qt. They kept on telling me it was OK to drive with that oil level both times it was overfilled. Went down to the closest auto parts store and purchased 5 individual quarts of Mobil 1 and only gave the dealership 4 of them. Told them to just put in 4 quarts and I will top off later. Took 3 times to get my oil level to the correct level at the Acura dealership.

I also need to double-check when the 7DCT and rear electric motor are due for an oil change because those take different fluids compared to the 3.5L sh-awd model.
It shouldn’t be that difficult. Just use the dipstick. Since this same dealer did all 3 oil changes,its possible that it’s never been right. I should have checked. It never dawned on me until comments started showing up on this forum.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It shouldn’t be that difficult. Just use the dipstick. Since this same dealer did all 3 oil changes,its possible that it’s never been right. I should have checked. It never dawned on me until comments started showing up on this forum.
How did you know how much it was over filled? Where the low and high are on the dipstick. Above that there is the lettering RCA. It come slightly above that.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
How did you know how much it was over filled? Where the low and high are on the dipstick. Above that there is the lettering RCA. It come slightly above that.
The first time they overfilled, the oil was above the RCA lettering and it was up to the small dot above the lettering. The second time they "tried" to fix it, the oil was right above the RCA lettering where the dip stick starts to slope up. It is now touching about 1/4 of the "R" where the RCA letters are at on the dipstick.

I think think they drain/refilled; but, didn't account for the oil in the filter when they tried to fix. Probably the reason why the 4 quarts individual quarts I gave them filled it up the 3rd time to the right level.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The first time they overfilled, the oil was above the RCA lettering and it was up to the small dot above the lettering. The second time they "tried" to fix it, the oil was right above the RCA lettering where the dip stick starts to slope up. It is now touching about 1/4 of the "R" where the RCA letters are at on the dipstick.

I think think they drain/refilled; but, didn't account for the oil in the filter when they tried to fix. Probably the reason why the 4 quarts individual quarts I gave them filled it up the 3rd time to the right level.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Overfilled oil usually doesn't create leaks. Instead it creates frothing of the oil, which changes the lubricity of the oil. When this occurs, damage is usually not immediate, but could result in long term increased wear and issues like worn bearings.

I hope you see why i have a general distrust of dealers. I know you've told me in other threads that you have no issue with giving the dealer a fair profit for their work. But my payment demands that they had better do it right. Always check their work before you leave their lot.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
432 Posts
^^^Yes, just what I was going to post. I don't use dealer service for anything but warranty work or projects that require specialized tools/equipment with no DIY workaround. With that said, I always check their work. With 100% reliability I can tell you that dealers ALWAYS overfill oil by at least a little and I drain out 1/2 qt (overkill for sure, but I'm OCD). 1.5 qts. is ridiculous, it shows the techs are just robots with airpods in their ears listening to a podcast rather than really paying attention to what they are doing.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I’m going there tomorrow. I will ask the service manager how this occurred. Also that if a leak occurs,they will be held responsible. The hybrid has been out for 3.5 years. They should know how much oil it takes.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Overfilled oil usually doesn't create leaks. Instead it creates frothing of the oil, which changes the lubricity of the oil. When this occurs, damage is usually not immediate, but could result in long term increased wear and issues like worn bearings.

I hope you see why i have a general distrust of dealers. I know you've told me in other threads that you have no issue with giving the dealer a fair profit for their work. But my payment demands that they had better do it right. Always check their work before you leave their lot.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I prepaid the maintenance,so I wasn’t really concerned how much they charged. I should have looked. I bought the car in Illinois. So I paid for the maintenance there. The car is serviced in Florida.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts