Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Outside Temperature Sensor

28K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  ACuraR 
#1 ·
Does anyone know where (exactly) the outside temperature sensor and cabling to T/C might be. Mine now always registers 73 since I had Acura change the oil/filter and do the associated inspection? I hope it's just that there's a disconnect somewhere easy to get to as service isn't open and the auto A/C seems to think that the air (outside) is A LOT cooler than the 90 with 70% humidity that it was yesterday!

#3 ·
According to the manual, the sensor is behind the center of the front bumper, beneath the grille openings. I haven't been able to see mine, so I assume it is above the plastic shield piece that goes rearward and down slightly from the bumper.

#6 ·
I can't find anything in the Service Manual about resetting the outside temp reading; you might check in your Owner's Manual. If you or a friend have access to an ohmmeter, you can check the resistance of the sensor by unplugging it and probing the sensor's two terminals. Resistance should read (approximately): 1000 ohms @ 104 degrees; 1500 @ 86; 2500 @ 68; 4000 @ 50; 6400 @ 32; and 11,000-12,000 ohms at 14 degrees. 73 degrees would probably be around 2400 ohms. If it measures around 2400 ohms when the temp is around 90 (where it should read around 1400 ohms), the sensor is bad; if it measures about right, then there may be another problem -- water in the plug/socket assembly following a car wash, perhaps, or who knows what else.

Good luck.

#8 ·
That's what it was on the 27th -- you said so :D . The manual doesn't give many details, but says: "Release the lock, and remove the outside air temperature sensor from the back of the front bumper beam. Disconnect the 2P connector from the outside air temperature sensor." Looks like the lock might be a plastic piece on the front of the sensor that you push to release a latch so that the whole assembly will drop straight down; then it looks like there's another plastic piece on right side of the connector that you push to remove the sensor. Plastic parts move better when warm than when cold, so better do it soon before y'all get another sudden snow!:2:

#9 ·
Sensor Disconnect

There's enough Humidty to create an ice age if we get enough of a drop. I think the problem is that I'm trying to feel my way around the sensor as I can't fit under the car without a rack. I'll probably leave it for the dealer, at this point. I'll just put the A/C on semi-auto, if I have to ...:rolleyes:

#10 ·
What's the matter with your dealer? Won't they fix it for you - it should under warranty, right? I'd be back there in a heartbeat if mine got stuck.

#11 ·
Outside Temperature

Well, the dealer has just made it worse. I think that the sensor is bad and thought that they were going to replace it. When it was in the shop, they determined that (at the time) it was reading 3 degrees low and went though some sort of procedures to re-calibrate it instead. Now, it seems to indicate that it's about 8 degrees hotter than actual. Any ideas as to how to compensate/calibrate. I see nothing in the ownser's manual.

#12 ·
I 'stole' this from another thread - I don't think it's in the manual, but it works for the non-nav system.

1. Turn on display

2. Press CLOCK plus RESET together for 5 seconds. It will enter a calibration mode

3. The value which will be changed will blink. First the temp offest will blink, pressing TRIP will toggle to the Range Offset. Press TRIP again and you are out of the calibration mode.

4. There are two values which can be adjusted: a RANGE Offset and a TEMP offset. The MODE and A/C button will adjust down and up (- and +) respectively.

Try it, you might find a good setting. I found that mine was set at +something (I can't remember the actual number) and I changed it to something else that seems to reflect the actual tempurature a little better, at least for me!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.