Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been dealing with a problem with my 2016 MDX for some time now. The issue is reproducible without fail and the dealership says they can reproduce it on all the 3rd Gen MDX’s they've tested it on, but Acura is telling them that the issue is "normal" and expected behaviour which is absurd.

The issue is that when you start the MDX from a cold start (sitting for 2-4 hours) the outside temperature climbs like crazy and stays there until you start driving for some time. For example, if it was 2C (36F) outside when you start the car, the display would immediately climb to 22C (72F) over a period of about 30 seconds. If you leave the car for an extended period (i.e. overnight) it typically does not happen.

The issue does not happen on any other model of Acura, nor our previous 2012 MDX and this has also be confirmed by the dealer, but Acura is still claiming this is "normal".

I would not care so much if not for the fact that some features rely on the outside temperature readings, i.e.

From the Owners Manual:

When the outside temperature is below 4°C, the heated windshield may automatically activate. The system deactivates itself once the outside temperature reaches 6°C.

The above functionality is an example of something that would not work with this issue present, and in my case doesn't. From I can tell as well the Auto seat heater setting also relies on this.

I’m just curious if anyone out there is also experiencing this issue. Acura’s stance that this is “normal” to me is ridiculous. How is a car reporting a temperature 20C (36F) from what it actually is out “normal”?

Any tips on how to get Acura to acknowledge that this is NOT "normal" by any reasonable person’s standards so they can get to fixing the issue. My guess is it’s a software issue.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
837 Posts
I’ve been dealing with a problem with my 2016 MDX for some time now. The issue is reproducible without fail and the dealership says they can reproduce it on all the 3rd Gen MDX’s they've tested it on, but Acura is telling them that the issue is "normal" and expected behaviour which is absurd.

The issue is that when you start the MDX from a cold start (sitting for 2-4 hours) the outside temperature climbs like crazy and stays there until you start driving for some time. For example, if it was 2C (36F) outside when you start the car, the display would immediately climb to 22C (72F) over a period of about 30 seconds. If you leave the car for an extended period (i.e. overnight) it typically does not happen.

The issue does not happen on any other model of Acura, nor our previous 2012 MDX and this has also be confirmed by the dealer, but Acura is still claiming this is "normal".

I would not care so much if not for the fact that some features rely on the outside temperature readings, i.e.

From the Owners Manual:

When the outside temperature is below 4°C, the heated windshield may automatically activate. The system deactivates itself once the outside temperature reaches 6°C.

The above functionality is an example of something that would not work with this issue present, and in my case doesn't. From I can tell as well the Auto seat heater setting also relies on this.

I’m just curious if anyone out there is also experiencing this issue. Acura’s stance that this is “normal” to me is ridiculous. How is a car reporting a temperature 20C (36F) from what it actually is out “normal”?

Any tips on how to get Acura to acknowledge that this is NOT "normal" by any reasonable person’s standards so they can get to fixing the issue. My guess is it’s a software issue.

Thanks in advance!
I don't have this issue. But this kind of thing would drive me crazy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
E92Vancouver,

Thanks for letting me know that this does not happen to you. This is contrary to Acura's claims that this will and is expected to happen to all 3rd Gen MDX's, and only heightens my suspicions of their claim. Whether they consider it normal, or not is quite moot to me though, as this is not what I expect from a $60K vehicle.

And yes, it drives me insane as well. Every time I cold start the car in these summers months it can show 20C out (actual temp) and then climbs to 40C for no apparent reason, and no the car is not sitting in the sun on a bed of hot lava.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yeah thats the standard Acura dealer cop out when they dont want to fix something tricky under warranty. They claim all the cars in the lot do the same thing so its normal.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Firstly - never trust them when they say 'it's normal'. This is especially true if it's coming from an SA at a dealership, who's non-technical and often not very competent.

If you're experiencing real issues, like the heating not working when it should because the vehicle thinks it's already warm when it isn't, then it needs to be pursued with the dealer and Acura. If you hit a dead end at one dealership then try another one if you have one within a reasonable distance.

Whenever they say 'it's normal', even if you think the condition shouldn't be considered normal for any vehicle, at least see if it's normal for the 2016 MDX if you can - i.e. see if you can replicate the issue on other 2016 MDXs they have on the lot. That can at least tell you whether this is 'as designed' (whether you'd consider it abnormal behavior or not) or whether it's something specific to your vehicle and truly not normal in any sense of the word. If it's unique to your vehicle then that 'it's normal' excuse of theirs goes out the window. If it's common to all of the vehicles then you're likely stuck with the behavior until/unless Acura makes a software change to fix it.

It's always possible they use a different temp sensor, or a different reading from the same sensor (based on the software algorithm they use to conclude a temp), for the different heating, etc. systems to use as a trigger and data point.

I've never noticed anything as you describe in my 2014 MDX. When I first start it, it'll have some inaccurate temp as expected since the vehicle was just sitting there in the sun (usually) with no airflow, so it'll start high but then usually reduce fairly quickly down to the the ambient temp now that it has air movement over the sensor. I've not had my vehicle as cold as yours has been but in the winter here, where it might get down to the 40s at night, as I recall it seems to just be fairly accurate - no big temp swings as you describe.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Acura speak: "It's normal." = "Warranty cases suck because Honda won't pay us more than a few hours, making the diagnosis time purely overhead." I actually get worse service from Acura than Hyundai (or rather Genesis now), believe it or not.

I have also not experienced this in my 2016 but my temps are always hot here.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Interesting! So it is by design! Just really slow. I've really never seen it gradually increase until it calibrates.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
391 Posts
Regarding the Outside Temperature Sensor readings being out of wack.

Here's what the service manual indicates:

If anything, they should have placed somewhere open like the rear of the car where it gets less hear reflection from say the engine bay. Maybe next to the rear camera? Anyway, it's a poor location .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all for the great info!

I had looked at what it says in the service manual previously and it really doesn't explain what I am seeing. It doesn't explain why if I start the car after it's been sitting (shaded, or in garage even) for quite some time and it initially / momentarily displays the correct, or near correct temperature and then starts climbing as if there is no end. If this was something that was happening to others it would be very hard to not notice this.

The dealer provided me with a 2017 RDX loaner as well as 2 separate 2016 TLX loaners and the issue did not exist on any of those cars. The issue never existed on our 2012 MDX which I'm now regretting getting rid of (that thing was solid). What engineer in their right mind would intentionally design a sensor that doesn't actually work as one would expect, especially if certain automated features rely on it. I know the dealer technician that was working on my MDX did not think this was in any way normal, regardless of what Acura Support was telling him.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the same problem on my MDX 2015 Elite.
Such temperature jump only happening if vehicle stopped for more than 1h.
If it stay less no problem at all with outside temperature, so it could be a computer bug or some electrical problems. 100% it not connected to any additional heat from engine.

·
Registered
837 Posts

From the Owners Manual:

Thanks in advance!
My temp gauge is slow to react. No issues at all. Yours is defective. Software glitch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just an update. This issue persists and once again is a great annoyance with the cold weather back.

Acura has done nothing with respect to this issue over the past 6 months. What is most concerning to me is that they have take the position that this is as as designed. To me this is an admittance that the issue exists, but they don't want to fix it. Despite my complaints to the dealer and at their request, filing complaints with Acura Customer Relations, nothing has gone anywhere and customer Relations is an absolute waste of time.

In the meantime, I'm considering what my next steps will be.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
CAMVAP doesn't believe that design issues are the same as manufacturing issues? Who designs the vehicle? The manufacturer's design section. So you have an argument now that the manufacturer's design section has poorly designed the outside temperature sensor on all its MDXes, which then should be addressed by a software and/or hardware change. It almost sounds like CAMVAP is scared to tell Honda to fix it because it may cost them a lot of money. Is CAMVAP truly FAIR?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts