Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I moved this from a previous thread so it wouldn't get lost...

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by shootist
Acura of Manhattan has had front brush guards and rear nerf bars custom made. They're black pwder coat, and very clearly made for an MDX- they outline the fog lamps, for instance.
I saw them when I bought my new 03 on Sunday- I'll take some pictures when I pick it up tommorrow.
The bad news- they're $1,700 installed, and the dealer can't keep them in stock for their own cars. For a comparison, the same MDX with dealer brush guards @ 1,700 had a rear spoiler installed for $652!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The way Acura of Manhattan marks up their accessories I wouldn't be suprised if you can get the set for less than a $1000 somewhere else. I too had sticker SHOCK when I saw $652 for the rear spoiler. Hey SHOOTIST, Did they show you the price list for their accessories? Talk about a slap in the face with their mark ups. I even came in with a copy of prices from the Acura.com website (this is of course before I found acuramdx.org) and was willing to pay list. They wouldn't budge. The manager said "WE NEED TO MAKE MONEY..." The next day I called up a few Acura service/parts departments to get quotes. The average price for the tailgate deflector was about $380 and $45 for installation. This equals $425 (which happens to be the list price on Acura.com). Acura of Manhattan was really asking for $607 for the deflector minus the installation.

To all you new car buyers out there, buy the parts from Tim @ Hondacuraworld.com and install the parts yourself. You'll save a bundle and have enough left over to buy more accessories.

OR if you are not mechanically inclined, purchase the parts from Tim, go back to the service department of your dealer (or local body shop), and have them install these accessories. You'll still save bundle.

OR after you purchase your car from the dealer, drive around to service department and buy/install the accessories there. The parts are definitly cheaper once you cut out the "greedy" sales department. Make sure you call the parts department (and get the name of the person you are speaking to) before hand and get quotes for the accessories just in case.

Don't let the dealer tell you that in order for you to get a discount for the car that you have to buy accessories. "That's bull s#*t! The sales person even had the [email protected] to tell me that he was doing me a favor by not charging me over MSRP like all the other dealerships are in the area (with him not knowing that I have been to 3 other Acura dealerships before his). Give the sales person your name/number and politely say thank you and leave. Don't worry, they will call you back. There are tons of people on this website and out there that are paying less than MSRP there is no reason why you shouldn't too.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
I only wish I found out about Tim prior to my ordering my runningboards and roof rack

·
Registered
3 Posts
They'll get whatever they can, that's their job . . . but remember to print off your accessories with prices from Acura.com and hit them with it - they'll tell you that's without installation, but get them to apply the standard service rate to it and they'll finally back down. Of course if your OK with installing the stuff yourself, the prices at Tim's seem to be outstanding...

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
These brush guards, however, are made specifically for this deaalership. They're not an Acura accessory. So if you want to play, you have to pay $1,700. (reportedly going up to $1,800, and selling out).
That's why I bought a touring package, and will accessorize it at my leisure.
Incidentally Bllyn MDX- Acura of Manhattan sold me a tow package for $500 installed before sale, so they can be flexible. The discounted retail is about $560 for parts, and the installation is more than three hours.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts