Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it finally happened - I was using my Navi this morning and got an "Out of Breadcrumbs" error. A lot of the northern Minnesota roads simply aren't in the DVD database, so the nav systems is constantly droppping breadcrumbs on these paved country highways - consequently, my X uses a lot of them.

What ticks me off, though, is that after they ran out the nav screen cames up with an 800 number to order a DVD with an additional 30,000 breadcrumbs. The kicker is that they want $150 for this 'upgrade' - I figure a 40K car should come with an unlimited supply of the darn things.

Has anyone else seen this problem - I'm wondering if we can get Tim to come up with a group buy for us - we're all going to run out someday.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Breadcrumbs would have to be stored in system non-volatile memory, so I dont see how a new DVD would give you more breadcrumbs, unless it includes a program update which allocates more memory to storing breadcrumbs. As a bonus, it would also have more up to date streets which may eliminate the need for some of your breadcrumbs. Do you have the latest version of the NAV software?

I have yet to use the Breadcrumb feature. I couldnt remember how to enable it, and I havent had the chance to look it up.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm pretty sure the breadcrumb feature comes on automatically. They must store the X,Y coordinates as floating points to keep the positional accuracy, that's why you run out of them.

The number they gave is 1-800 277-3665, but I haven't been able to get through to them yet.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Hmmm....am I getting sucked into an April 1 post here...hard to tell...this really sounds bizarre.

FWIW the nav defaults to using breadcrumbs (on the '01s for sure) but it is possible to disable the feature somewhere in the menus. Well, I'm almost positive about that, anyway (no manual in front of me).

I'd try disabling the feature, driving, then re-enabling to see if that clears the memory.

·
Registered
181 Posts
You'd think that with over 80 cubic feet of storage space, that you'd never be able to use up that many breadcrumbs....:D

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ghotie, this is true, I have been able to transport a very large amount of actual bread in my X. Also, there are plenty of breadcrumbs in and around the back seat where the kids sit - certainly more than enough to get us in and out of the deep woods.

It's just those pesky ones on disk, you think they'd have put more on there. :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
That's actually kind of funny. And I wondered how many breadcrumbs you could store.... There is a way to clear them and to disable them. It is in the SETUP menu on the nav... Luckily, the only place I've used any breadcumbs is in orlando, fl. It seems like disney re-did their parking lots after the latest update...

I have a 2002 X, and the nav version I have is 2.05. But it would be interesting to see what DVD disk they are trying to sell you that would give you "more" breadcrumbs and what other enhanced "features" you would get. Please let us know if you ever get through.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Based on your post I went down to my local Acura dealer. They have a "demo" MDX that they won't sell so that people can see one before getting on the waiting list. Anyway, it only took a couple of minutes for me to hack into the nav system. There is a fairly simple fix that I can code for you in a few minutes--PM me if anyone is interested...

·
Registered
206 Posts
While you are at it, can you figure out how to disable the startup warning screen?

I have a telescope that would startup warning me about looking up at the sun. They finally added an option to turn off that warning. After a while they figure you would know about it and not need to be told each and every time.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Actually, a couple of side benefits of my little hack:

- Disables the startup warning screen.

- Enables Canadian addresses (I don't know why this feature was disabled in software??).

- Improves accuracy to 0.1 m (no more system confusion when taking off-ramps, etc.).

- Enables choice of six voices (two male, three additional female including one that sounds just like Elizabeth Hurley!).

- Enables playing movie DVDs on nav screen.

I also found some software hooks in there for bi-xenon HIDs, a MUCH more powerful engine, and additional exterior/interior colors...

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
iceman....

and don't forget that the hack also beams a message to AHFC that pays off your lease :D

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
texrb said:
iceman....

and don't forget that the hack also beams a message to AHFC that pays off your lease :D
If it can do the same for a mortage , now thats a hack I would like....

me: " guess what honey"

wife: "what?!"

me: " the X just payed off our mortgage"

wife: "what a nice car"

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
OK, I got got.

Some good April Fool's stuff in this SF Chron article:

For centuries, pranksters have filled day with lotsa gotchas

These two were my faves:

Back in 1998, Burger King published an advertisement in USA Today touting its new left-handed Whopper, which would have all its condiments rotated 180 degrees in the hopes of reducing spillage from the right side of the sandwich.

One of the most infamous pranks was pulled by Taco Bell in 1996, when it bought a full-page advertisement in the New York Times to announce its purchase of Philadelphia's Liberty Bell. The company said it planned to rename it the Taco Liberty Bell and was doing its part to help erase the national debt.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh, this was fun! You guys were starting to scare me there. No one decoded the phone number as 1-800-APR FOOL, though.

Northwest Airline played it's own April Fools joke on us, supposed to leave for Cleveland at 4:00, the plane got delayed until 6:10, then 8:30, then 10:45, then 11:30, finally took off at midnight, getting us here at roughly 3 AM. Those guys are such kidders... Couldn't find an Internet login to rejoin the thread, which took on a life of its own.

Oh well, April 2, back to business. :)

X'less in Ohio.
Ghost

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
ghost said:

Northwest Airline played it's own April Fools joke on us, supposed to leave for Cleveland at 4:00, the plane got delayed until 6:10, then 8:30, then 10:45, then 11:30, finally took off at midnight, getting us here at roughly 3 AM.

Them kidders :)
UA did something similar to me last April, was supposed to leave for Japan, not looking forward to long flight. My buddy and I got on a virtually empty airplane (777). SO I started to make plans to get dibs on whole center row of seat to sleep. Well we got on wait 1 hour, toilets were being serviced! THEN 2 hrs later we found out the toilets were still being serviced. LATER it turns out that it was first class toilets were not workin, but all other were!! and the flight was cancelled because of this. Them funny guys.

Needless to say we were put up a a Holiday Inn for free and given a nice full airplane next day with yapping guys for the whole freaking 13 hrs. Damn couldnt get any sleep.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: HAAAA!!

Robyjo said:
Ghost--check the 1800 # you left...a very friendly Acura rep answers the phone...
Rob
Robyjo, Whoa - I had no idea! Honest, I just worked out the letters! :eek:

One heck of an offer though, wonder if we could get her voice on the nav

"Hey, handsome, turn left in 1/2 mile, c'mon up and see me..."

:D:D:D

(Why'd you dial that, anyway?)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Here's a real question

The Costco in my neighborhood is quite far from the street.
Sometime in the past I managed to get it to show breadcrumbs from the street, through their private driveway and around parts of their parking lot.

When I go to the nearby Sam's club it doesn't drop any more breadcrumbs and the distances are just as far from the street.

I don't want to erase the existing breadcrumbs. Is it possible that I diasbled droping of new breadcrumbs? I couldn't find any useful explanation in the user's manual.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bef, I think you need to be a half mile off an identified road before the Nav will start dropping breadcrumbs. Maybe you just haven't gone far enough, or there's a street perpendicular to the one you turned off that is keeping the breadcrumbs from dropping.

Or maybe it just has a thing against Sam's Club... :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts