Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 mdx had a small chip in windshield while in the interstate, i heard a small crack or chirp.

Initial line was 8 inch long, now next day it's across half the width.

I guess i have no choice but replace right?

Can i replace with after market from a reputed local car glass company?

Also can i drive around lil bit here and there with this crack, what's the risk?

Here's video thx!

·
Registered
550 Posts
My windshield was cracked in the middle of the road trip, initially the crack was 1/5, I drove 700 miles to get home, the crack became 2/3 of the windshield, 70mph in the highway, no problem. In the meantime, you should use the windshield repair kit to stop the spread, it works for me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
550 Posts
Additionally, I think your only choice is OEM, radar won't be able to recalibrate with aftermarket.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where to get windshield repair kit?

Radar that works thru glass? I thought it was somewhere else lol thx

·
Registered
550 Posts
Where to get windshield repair kit?

Radar that works thru glass? I thought it was somewhere else lol thx
You can get repair kit from Amazon, autozone, it's pretty common everywhere.

The rain sensor for wiper, and the LDW sensor are Mounted on the windshield, I called these radars.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Radar unit is only on the Advance trim level for 2014-2015 and it is located a few inches to the side of the Acura logo in the "beak" of the front grille.
If you have a Tech or Advance trim level MDX for 2014-2015, there is a camera near the top of the windshield where the rearview mirror sits. This camera is used for the Lane Departure Warning on Tech trims, and the Lane Keeping Assist System on the Advance trim.
If you have the Tech or Advance you must replace the windshield with OEM glass otherwise these assist systems will not work properly.

I purchased my MDX as a CPO but the dealer did not know it had aftermarket glass on it from the previous owner. When I used the LKAS the car was actively steering itself out of the lane. I took it back to the dealer to have the front camera calibrated but they were unable to calibrate the system because aftermarket glass does not have the required markings for the camera system. The dealer replaced my glass with OEM and now the system works as intended.

Don't bother with aftermarket to save yourself a few bucks because you'll end up buying the OEM one in the end

Reactions: miserkris

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I have the same issues with stars, cracks, and long-term windshield pitting on my previous vehicles. Never a big deal because glass replacement wasn't that much if it got too bad. Now with 19 MDX and 18 RLX, glass replacement without insurance can get close to $2000 with OEM glass+calibration. I'm giving Exoshield PPF on the windshield a try on both vehicles. No road trips yet and no issues with AcuraWatch tech.

·
Registered
240 Posts
As has been mentioned already, the OEM glass is the better route. There are threads on here already about people who have tried to go the aftermarket route, many times because the insurance wouldn’t cover the OEM price. It seems to be 50/50 odds at best if the after market will work. Some have argued with the insurance companies and eventually gotten them to cover it. Do a search in this sub topic and you should find previous discussions which may help.

As far as it being dangerous to drive with a crack, it’s not. The windshields are double layered with a laminate between the layers. It would have to be a very large impact to actually penetrate both. Most likely it is the outer layer that is cracked and not the inside layer of glass. The crack is annoying and should be repaired/replaced but you’ll be safe to drive with it until you can do that.

Some people drive with cracked windshields all the time, especially if they live in an area where they only use sand on the roads in the winter instead of salt. Replacing a windshield could become a monthly occurrence in those places. In fact, many safety inspections will only require a cracked windshield be replaced if the crack is in a location that impedes the drivers view.

Having said all of that... I hate driving with a cracked windshield. But it’s not because of safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
240 Posts
Here are a few previous threads:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,343 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yikes!

Pretty much.

If you have a Tech or up, no aftermarket glasses for third gen that will work with the sensors behind it.
Satelite quote online was like 450 replacement. Acura was 2000 including calibration for driver assist camera and
Rain sensor calibration. . Inspection stickers e.t.c.

My geico deductible is 1000$.... so I'm thinking what's best, the car is 6 yr old. On an average of these things can happen every 3 to 4 years I think.
I'll definitely keep the car for another three to four years.

Should i go safelite and i could do 2 such replacements within 3-4 yr or Acura service and spend 1k !

I ask Acura what's the worst that can happen if I go with aftermarket even if they don't care about the LDW Etc and he said even if you don't care about the particular feature that could be warning lights on the dash all the time because the wire doesn't find a connection .

I wonder if THAT flashing light could be very annoying?!

I honestly can be Without Rain sensor wipers because I'm already driving at the time so .... plus I don't really care about the lane departure feature because I don't use it . Nor collision warning that's erroneous most of the time.

what do you guys think ?! Thx

·
Registered
2014 MDX Tech SH-AWD
36 Posts
The other difference is probably the acoustic sound-deadening layer in the OEM that jacks up the price...I believe that's a thing on these. I would probably just pony up the 1K for peace of mind knowing all systems will be a go after the new installation.

Reactions: miserkris

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The other difference is probably the acoustic sound-deadening layer in the OEM that jacks up the price...I believe that's a thing on these. I would probably just pony up the 1K for peace of mind knowing all systems will be a go after the new installation.
Will it be obvious with the after mkt... road noise penetrating into car?

I think I'll do it.... $1000...

Frustrating thing it's the highways that have this gravel crap... and the speed.
Maybe i should use country back roads

·
Registered
550 Posts
Btw, I actually replaced my glass at safelite, I guess they charged around 1.2k for OEM replacement, including recalibration.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Btw, I actually replaced my glass at safelite, I guess they charged around 1.2k for OEM replacement, including recalibration.

How was their calibration e.t.c?

I'm thinking it's Geico is going to pay for the rest and I only need to pay $1,000 deductible I might as well go with Acura for 2k...

·
Registered
550 Posts
How was their calibration e.t.c?

I'm thinking it's Geico is going to pay for the rest and I only need to pay $1,000 deductible I might as well go with Acura for 2k...
What model do you have, I have tech, sensors works fine for me, they will actually need to drive on the road to do the recalibration. First installation, water leaks, they reinstalled, leaking fixed.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Acura was 2000 including calibration for driver assist camera and Rain sensor calibration. . Inspection stickers e.t.c.
Yep, that's about right. Even a regular OEM glass for the second gen costs a grand + installation. No sensors there.

My geico deductible is 1000$.... so I'm thinking what's best, the car is 6 yr old. On an average of these things can happen every 3 to 4 years I think.
To each - their own. Mine is 2008, so it's twice older. And yet I installed the OEM glass in 2018 for a grand + installation + tax and I'm pretty happy. I have no plans to sell this car in my life as I do not treat it as investment by any chance. It'll run for another 10 years or so.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well safelite central office gave me quote $730 installed.... calibrated e.t.c.
Lifetime guarantee as long as you own the car.

If they do it in my driveway it's 40$ more.

I'll try n convince geico to give me OEM glass repair with Acura dealership. Let's see... what they say. With my 1k collision and comprehensive deductible.... another 300 won't hurt.

Let's see tmrw thx

·
Registered
550 Posts
Well safelite central office gave me quote $730 installed.... calibrated e.t.c.
Lifetime guarantee as long as you own the car.

If they do it in my driveway it's 40$ more.

I'll try n convince geico to give me OEM glass repair with Acura dealership. Let's see... what they say. With my 1k collision and comprehensive deductible.... another 300 won't hurt.

Let's see tmrw thx
I have $0 deductable on glass, first Geico refuse to give me OEM, when they assigned me to safelite, Safelite actually step up and asks Geico to give me OEM.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Had to replace the glass on my MDX once. Went the Safelite route through State Farm. Originally insurance wasn't going to pay out for OE glass. The first appointment, they sent the technician out with PGW glass which I was fine with since they're the OE supplier but the cutouts for the camera was in the wrong location. They contacted insurance and was able to get me OE glass and paid for recalibration.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts