Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at purchasing custom wheels for my MDX. The leading candidate is the Brabus Monoblock V. Its available in 17x8" and 18x8.5" . I'm hoping to go with the larger rim. Does anyone know whether this will fit the MDX and if so, what size tire should I purchase to try and equal the MDX's base revolutions/mile?

For some reason, tire sizing is greek to me...

·
Registered
467 Posts
Not sure where you are buying them, but the larger outfits like www.tirerack.com usually can tell you if they will fit, and will be able to fit a tire on the wheel that will closely match the diameter of the original wheel.

·
Registered
153 Posts
18x8.5 Should Work

That is actually one of the size that I'm considering. Another is 19x8.5. The 18x8.5 should work as long as you have the right offset. I believe anywhere between +35 to +42 is safe to use.

For the 18x8.5, you can use a tire size of 255/55/18 (lots to choose from).

For the 19x8.5, you can use a tire size of 255/50/19 (limited brands).

A lot of guys are going up to 20x9 w/ tire size of 275/40/20. See the gallery thread.

Both combination is equal or close to OEM size. See below calculator.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Hope this helps....

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Zrelaxed said:
I'm looking at purchasing custom wheels for my MDX. The leading candidate is the Brabus Monoblock V. Its available in 17x8" and 18x8.5" . I'm hoping to go with the larger rim. Does anyone know whether this will fit the MDX and if so, what size tire should I purchase to try and equal the MDX's base revolutions/mile?

For some reason, tire sizing is greek to me...
My recommendation is to go to a local tire and wheel shop and have them look at the MDX so they can give you the proper off-set, wheel size and tire size.

Also from what I heard and see the Brabus wheel is for the Mercedes application. Wheel wells and off-set are different in a mercedes then that of the MDX...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! I called a local wheel company and mentioned that the Brabus wheel has an offset of +35, which means it should work no problem with the MDX. I still don't understand what the offset truly measures, but the numbers that NaNaLi provided seem to be correct.

So is offset simply a measure extending from the inner side of the wheel to the wheel plate where the wheel mounts flush to the rotor? I was told a larger offset means the wheel mounts closer into the vehicle wheelwell. Sound right?

As far as brands, I'm looking at the Pirelli Scorpion zero (I've been warned its somewhat noisy but performs outstandingly) and the Michelin Pilot LTX. The Michelin is a little more expensive, a little less on the handling and traction side, but more quiet and longer treadlife...would love to hear any other recommendations!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts