·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
henry_atwork said:
... invoice/msrp ... navigation system... $1800/$2000 .....
That would explain why non of the dealers I contacted did a good job of explaining the benefits of the MDX's excellent navigation system.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Too big a leap...

BaldEagle said:
That would explain why non of the dealers I contacted did a good job of explaining the benefits of the MDX's excellent navigation system.
That would assume that the sales goofs actually know which options generate the biggest "pop" for 'em & and I think that is giving 'em too much credit...

The USELESSNESS of inversely related to the hype the sales goofs ladle on: "enviromental protection package", sunroof deflector, rear deflector, "adjusted market value" ;) ...

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I don't think those numbers are right

www.kbb.com has these numbers:

Model: Invoice/MSRP/Dealer Profit not including holdback:

MDX Base w/o Nav: 31761.77 / 35200.00 / 3438.23

MDX Touring w/o Nav: 34101.90 / 37800.00 / 3698.10

That means that comparing no-nav models, the Touring adds $2,600 to the MSRP, but just $259.87 to the dealer's profit margin (not including the holdback, which is 3% of MSRP).

Or, put another way, the Touring Package "invoice price" is $2,340.13 while its MSRP is $2,600.

"Invoice Price" of the nav is $1,800.10, with its MSRP of $2,000.

Thus, the markup from invoice to MSRP for both the Touring and the Nav are about the same.

Just for laughs I used kbb.com to compute trade-in values for my zip code, with 25,000 miles on a 2001 MDX, excellent condition.

Base w/o Nav: $28,490
Base w/Nav: $29,075
Touring w/o Nav: $31,005
Touring w/Nav: $31,590

Please keep in mind that these numbers are based on a very limited history. But I think they're accurate in saying that the nav, unfortunately, retains little value. Meanwhile, the Touring Package retains surprisingly good value. Usually higher trim levels don't retain their value quite as well, though sometimes that is offset somewhat by higher desirability.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I would take those trade in values with a bucket of salt. Dealers can make trade in anything they want ... turns on so many other aspects of the deal. Plus, as you say, limited data. In my efforts to sell my MDX (which I just did), I found that "wholesale" value is more likely to be a reliable figure, and seems to be much less than the KBB or Blackbook "trade in." In talking to many many potential buyers, I found that people who were really knowledgeable about the MDX were very interestd in whether mine had Navigation, while those who were simply comparing various SUV's were more interested in the Touring features.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes, not much history yet. But those numbers still show a smaller difference between touring and base on the resale compared to what was paid just a year ago. So still hard to say you are really making any more money trading in a touring as you would have paid more than the difference these trade in values.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts