Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Is it necessary for the dealer to install the hitch for a bike rack attachment or can it be an aftermarket add on? The Acura website makes it seem very expensive. Do I need that extra cooling option if I am never towing?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought my Acura hitch on the Internet and installed it myself. Relatively easy to do, took 30-45 minutes. You don't need the cooling option or the light kit if you are only using it for a bike rack.

I would recommend an Acura hitch instead of an aftermarket unit, as it comes though the rear bumper (you replace the bottom of the rear bumper for it) so it is higher than an aftermarket hitch. We have an aftermarket hitch on our mini-van and it hits the road when backing out of the driveway. The MDX is probably higher than a mini-van, but the aftermarket hitch is going to be lower than the Acura hitch.

Roger

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yeah if you let the dealer install it you are paying ridiculously high dealer labor rates. If you're not handy, a general mechanic will probably install the thing for 1/3 the price.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Look at the Curt hitch website and see what they have for you vehicle. I got one for my '05 Pilot (and it supposedly fits multi-year MDX's or the same era as well) via Amazon and my son and I installed in 30 minutes.

The hitch was a class 3, but if you are never going to tow anything big, a class 2 will do for bike rack attachments. (My daughter has one for her CRV)

Make sure it comes with an anti-wobble bolt. Keeps the damn thing from rattling in the hitch and driving you crazy.

·
Registered
109 Posts
everything looks nice and neat I use my hitch only for my back rack, i got the other little accessory just in case ill ever need to hook up a uhaul trailer. i think ill rent a van froom them before it do that GL.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts