Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am looking to purchase a new 2016 MDX Advance, but am not sure about the Entertainment package. Is it really worth $2000 more? I have 2 kids ages 8, 7. WHat do other people and their kids think about the DVD system? Does it play Blu Ray discs?
thanks for your opinions

·
Registered
39 Posts
For the amount of $ you are paying you mine as well get it.
Does not play Blu Ray to my knowledge.
The larger 16 inch screen is nice and you can split it if one wants to watch a movie and the other play a game.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
It might be cheaper and you get more use from a couple of iPad Mini. I tether my 128GB iPad mini to my iPhone when traveling. Movies, netflix, games, internet, youtube, dropbox files, icloud, etc... What I like about the iPad ideal is you can take it in the hotel, the road, work, and at home for more use. The only big negative is the iPad screen isn't as bright as I like in the middle of the day when viewing a movie in the MDX if the movie has darker/night portions.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't disagree with the iPad idea, but sometimes the movies you or the kids want are not available on the iPad. I priced an aftermarket drop down DVD player for $500 at Audio Express. Slightly more for the headrest options. They've done work for me before, so I'm comfortable with them. It is a much better option than $2k from the stealership.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Meh, I have a '15 with entertainment, I got it for what some paid without the entertainment. I think it's convenient for being there and split screen and wireless headphones. You could tether your tablets / blu ray player as there's a 110 volt there. Heck I am going to try to throw a slim ps3 in there.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I don't disagree with the iPad idea, but sometimes the movies you or the kids want are not available on the iPad. I priced an aftermarket drop down DVD player for $500 at Audio Express. Slightly more for the headrest options. They've done work for me before, so I'm comfortable with them. It is a much better option than $2k from the stealership.
I have Netflix and still do 2 DVDs at a time along with internet streaming. I purchased PQ DVD to iPod Video Suite for my Dell laptop about 6 years ago. I can convert about 95-98% of the movies into the iPad/iPhone format. Every once in a while I can't convert a movie for whatever reason (extremely rare). I have over 300 movies to upload on my 128GB iPad. I keep the extra movies on a second 1TB SSD hard-drive I can swap out with my laptop CD/DVD drive. I use iTunes to upload movies as needed for every trip. I just converted Chappie, Project Almanac, Seventh Son and Halo Nightfall this week. Whatever movie I don't finish in the MDX, I just connect to a HD TV with the apple HDMI cable.:29:

I also put a wireless memory card in my DSLR camera I can sync it my iPad (Eye-Fi Pro X2 16GB). I can automatically download pictures and movies from my Nikon D5100 onto my iPad on the spot. Much better than waiting until you get home or after the vacation to checkout pictures/movies. Another advantage of using a tablet/iPad/netbook.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I'm a proponent of the tablet method as well. The screen was too small for me with the included system and I barely have any DVDs at this point. Also my Verizon plan includes wifi hotspot, so Netflix and Hulu are always our go to apps. For backseaters, headrest mounts and headphones work pretty damn well for the same purpose. The only thing you may want to get is a charger splitter.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I don't think it's worth it unless there's something with that trim level you want? I don't know how the 3rd gen does it but for second gen you got like heated 2nd row with the ent trim.

We use headrest DVDs and iPads for long trips. I've yet to use the entertainment system in our Odyssey but got the TE because of other features.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I don't think it's worth it unless there's something with that trim level you want? I don't know how the 3rd gen does it but for second gen you got like heated 2nd row with the ent trim.

We use headrest DVDs and iPads for long trips. I've yet to use the entertainment system in our Odyssey but got the TE because of other features.
No you could get everything without the entertainment package.

It's just the normal advanced. At this point, I know the tablet won't work for our son as he has a tendancy to throw things down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts