Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, when we ordered our MDX back in August, it was me, my wife, a 4 1/2-year-old and a 15-month-old. As fate would have it, we're now expecting our third child.

So now, after six months of MDX gestation, I'm wondering if it's still the best option for us, even with the back row. I even used the "mini-" word around my wife the other night.

Should I be waffling? Anyone out there with three kids who can offer first-hand perspective and encouragement?

Help me keep the faith, MDX brothers and sisters.

- ablank

·
Registered
91 Posts
Congratulations!

CONGRATS on the new family member on the way. We have 0 kids, but 3 dogs and all five of us fit into the MDX just fine. The dogs sit in the back seat.

Friends who have 2+ kids all have mini vans. It must be written into the DMV rules somewhere. :D

It would seem like your two little ones would need car seats/boosters and your 4-5 year old will need a full size seat. I wouldn't want to have to get them into and out of the back row all the time. This is much easier in the back row. Our neighbor across the street has a car seat in the back row of their Odyssey and it looks like it is easy to get the baby in and out of it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Re: Congratulations!

gadgetdog said:
I wouldn't want to have to get them into and out of the back row all the time.
Wow, that really wasn't what I wanted to hear at all. I, too, have a third baby coming and that 3rd row is what attracted me to consider the MDX.

I'd like to stay as far away from minivans as possible ;).

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Congratulations!

gadgetdog said:
I wouldn't want to have to get them into and out of the back row all the time. This is much easier in the back row.
Stargazer:

I wasn't sure how to read gadgetdog's comment--I assume he meant it's easier in the back row of an Odyssey.

The fact is, we'll have THREE car seats/boosters in operation, at least until our oldest hits 80 pounds. And I know there's a separate, current thread on baby seat choices and configuration, but I'm wondering how easy it will be to move the split seat in the second row forward to get a kid (probably the biggest) in and out of the back row.

More doubt is creeping in. Maybe I should hit the dealership again to check. With my luck, they'll call next week with a build date.

- ablank

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
You want to be a soccer Dad?

C'mon ablank,

Don't you even think the "m" word. Remember you live in an town where the poverty line is drawn between the Land Rover and Range Rover ownership level.

Also, with 3 kids, one will likely be sitting in the center of the middle seat. The MDX has a center shoulder belt that comes down from the ceiling. I believe a number of minivans do not have this safety feature having just a lap belt. The latter has been shown to be very, very dangerous to kids sitting in the center involved in an accident. They have been crippled or even killed due to "jackknifing." I considered a minivan myself due to our very large pooch but both my wife and I came to our senses.

·
Registered
110 Posts
No doubt about, with kids and carseats, a mini-van is more practical than the MDX for ingress/egress with any number of kids. But let's face it, if all you have is two kids, why wouldn't a nice sedan do? In my case, the MDX is only vehicle that saved me from my wife's fervent desire for a mini-van (7-passenger seating, appearance, car-like handling, and price). The new Volvo and Lexus notwithstanding, there is not much else in this category.

The config goes like this: older and more agile child in the 3rd row, infant in the center in a rear-facing car seat, and the todler (or infant if you have twins) behind the driver to allow passage to the 3rd row.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mdxpecting said:
The config goes like this: older and more agile child in the 3rd row, infant in the center in a rear-facing car seat, and the todler (or infant if you have twins) behind the driver to allow passage to the 3rd row.
Thanks, mdxpecting. I'm just wondering if anyone out there does this on a regular basis...

And remery, your intuition is amazing. Even though I live two blocks from Range Rover, I've never once felt the desire to join the Rover derby on the streets up here. Thanks for slapping some sense into me.

- ablank

·
Registered
45 Posts
ablank,

My situation is like yours. My oldest is not big enough yet to be out of a car seat so it will be 2 car seats and a booster.

mdxpecting said:
That sounds workable--I hadn't thought of that. So the second row is wide enough to put two car seats side-by-side?

My only other concern would be carrying a large stroller and other baby gear :rolleyes:.

As for being practical, life would be very boring if we always had to make the "practical" choice ;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stargazer said:
So the second row is wide enough to put two car seats side-by-side?
I just checked my dog-eared MDX brochure, and there's a page in there with every seat configuration--including the 40% side of the second row and the right-hand half of the third row folded down.

Based on this, and remery's comment, it looks like you could fit a booster behind the driver and a car seat in the middle of the second row, side by side. Then the older kid could scoot over the folded down second-row seat into one of the two third-row seats. And by folding down half of the third row, you'd have room for a stroller, etc. I just worry about long trips with lotsa luggage. But nothing worse than that "m" vehicle.

- ablank

·
Registered
16 Posts
Get an Odyssey -- or you'll regret it...

and that is a fact.....

If you can get past the crazy emotional block of telling people you drive a "minivan" ... you will be free to make a rational decision... which is to get an Odyssey.

Hands down, the Odyssey is more comfortable to drive, has easier ingress/egress, holds a ton more REAL stuff... and believe me, the kids will be way happier in the van. Additionally, you won't have to deal with the paranoia of getting your MDX trashed constantly (darned near inevitable) with dirty shoes -- food stains -- spills -- scratches -- etc....And, infant seats which are properly fastened (securely) into the MDX seats will leave indentations in the leather seating surfaces when removed, as well as probable abrasion marks.

The Odyssey also has the flexible second-row seating so you can arrange the seats as a bench with side access to the rear, or as individual seats with entry to the rear from the middle of the second row. This is slick, depending on the ages of the kids you're transporting. And, the third row is much roomier.
There are still shoulder harnesses for all positions in the rear.
And, the storage area behind the third row EASILY accomodates full-size strollers and still has loads of room for other stuff too. In the MDX, you simply cannot carry much at all if you have people in the third row....and, climbing into the 3rd row seat is not a journey I'd like to take 5 times daily....
As a primary family vehicle -- the MDX doesn't cut it, IMO. I don't think it was ever intended to fill that market segment either.

If you're wondering why I have these strong opinions -- it's because I own an Odyssey -- and think it's pretty darned slick.... in fact, if the '02 Odyssey offered all-wheel drive -- we'd probably have TWO today.... but we've chosen to add the MDX to the garage as the foul-weather vehicle and daily driver for my wife... but, when it comes to hauling the kids around ( by the way -- we have 4 ) -- our Odyssey wins hands-down.

Oh... and a new Odyssey is at least $5K cheaper. Not bad....

MDX is the best "SUV" I've seen so far. It's much more VAN than a TRUCK (after all, it's based on the Odyssey chassis), which is good. MDX and Odyssey have a similar driving feel (obviously MDX is firmer). But, if I were in your shoes and could only choose ONE for a family vehicle -- I'd choose Odyssey -- and feel very happy with the decision...

·
Registered
619 Posts
what about a Honda Pilot? It would keep you away from the "m" word and has more room than the X, and its based on the vehicle that you love- the MDX.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Get an Odyssey -- or you'll regret it...

Thanks for being the rational, parental side of my brain, HypoDenny. If we were to go with a minivan, it would be an ODY. like you, though, we're in the snow belt, and I have a particularly steep and narrow garage entry to negotiate, all of which points me toward the MDX. And the fact that (at least for the immediate future) we won't be going EVERYWHERE with ALL the kids. We'd have the same leather indentation and spills problem with the ODY, so that's not so much an issue.

How's that for a rationalization? But I am curious to compare cargo space, and I'll have to run to some dealers to see for myself.

Also, we have an extremeley low-overhead garage--how does your ODY compare in height to the MDX?

And MDXluvr, the Pilot's styling just doesn't do it for me. I'm not an Acura purist vs. a Honda, but even with 6" more length, the Pilot isn't an attractive option.

- ablank

·
Registered
125 Posts
ablank said:

I'm just wondering if anyone out there does this on a regular basis...

Dear ablank,
1st of all – Congratulation, you will be amazed with how much extra fun/work you are going to get with the 3rd one. I’m sure you are going to enjoy every moment of it.
My 3 kids are 6, 3 and 4 months, therefore I have a booster seat(behind driver), an infant seat (in the middle), and a car seat (behind passenger) – all in the 2nd row.
For me, the ability to put 3 kids in the 2nd row is one of the deciding factor to get the MDX, I like to keep all 3 kids together and close to us at the front, and there is no minivan offers this feature (except the old Mazda MPV, I guess?)
Now the 3rd row is reserved for the odd now and then when we have to pick the grannies (kids move to 3rd, grannies stay in 2nd) or we have to fold down a seat in the 2nd row to carry a long cargo item.
This config has work great for us and we are loving the MDX more each day.
Happy parenting.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Ablank:

Congratulations! I have 2 kids, but had to think hard deciding between Ody and the MDX. On the practical side (living in California), Ody made all the sense. However, I could not convince myself to get a Minivan.

Do I love my MDX - Absolutely. Would I like to have a minivan - Yes. Get both!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Ablank, I agree with mdxpecting about having the more agile child in the third row -- but why have him/her enter through the folded second row? Why not through the liftgate? That's what our 2-year-old grandson does, and loves it; once he's in his seat, an adult leans over the second-row seatback to buckle him up and snug the belts.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My kids 7 & 4 prefer the third row, so they climb back there whenever possible. I don't mind because it is easier for them to buckle up (they are both in booster seats) because the seat belt latch sticks up. The ones in the second row lay limply on the seat.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wongster said:

My 3 kids are 6, 3 and 4 months
I guess it's been a long day for me because I read that and wondered how it must be to have 3 kids less than a year old ;)!

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that it's possible to put all of them in the 2nd row. That gives me more ammunition for choosing the MDX :).

·
Registered
442 Posts
Where there's a will...

Keep the faith ablank! We drove around in our Subaru Outback with two kids in the back seat for months while we waited for our MDX, and when it arrived it seemed absolutely cavernous! The oldest in the third row with the other seat folded down and two car seats side by side in the second row sounds the most practical. Does Thule or anyone else make a case that fits on the MDX's roof for extra gear come vacation time? Might be worth looking into.
Growing up, my parents would haul five kids, a German sheperd and two cats in our Ford Country Squire station wagon to far flung vacation destinations. The only issue at the time was whether or not we had enough Dramamine...

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Ablank - you and the missus been hitting that Bed & Breakfast in Silver Bay again? Congratulations! :D:D

Stay the course, you'll do fine in the MDX with the three. It's the fourth and fifth that should make you rethink your transportation strategy. And reproductive strategy, for that matter...

A couple notes - I keep a polar fleece blanket between the rear leather and the booster seat - prevents the leather dents, and it's nice to have a spare blanket around.

- you'll get to the point where entering via the moved seat or the tailgate doesn't matter - they'll just vault over the back seat. :rolleyes:

No worries! :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ghost said:
Ablank - you and the missus been hitting that Bed & Breakfast in Silver Bay again? Congratulations! :D:D
Thanks, Ghost. I knew you'd turn up to compliment my procreative prowess.

Anyway, I'd planned on getting one of those fitted fleece covers for the second row (now maybe for the third row) to avoid abrasions and minimize the car seat dents. OneStepAhead has a decent one and I remember reading here that Toys R Us has something similar, but rubberized.

Bottom line on our decision is going to be cargo space w/ 3 kids vs. winter capability. My wife is discounting the latter, so I can see what's coming. On Friday, we're going dealer-hopping to compare the ODY vs MDX. I'm verklempt. Especially if I have to cancel the MDX and wait another 4 months for an ODY. At least it comes in Granite Green.

Any minute now the Acura dealer is going to call, I just know it...:(

- ablank

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
14 Participants
ghost
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing