Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my heart, I am a detailer. In reality, I am a "Dad" with a new MDX (my 4th Acura) who is careful with his cars: parks at the end of the parking lot, does not let kids eat in the car, etc. My problem is that I just don't have the time to devote an afternoon to detailing the finish on my cars.

I almost bought Zaino 3 years ago when I bought my TL, but then, it dawned on me that it would be difficult to get the time to do repeated applications - even though I am sure the results are great.

So, what's the next best thing to doing "Dawn" and the multiple Zaino applications? Is there a single coat wax/finish that will allow me to protect my MDX in a little less time?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I'll probably be hanged or :9: for saying this, but Meguiar's Cleaner Wax in the maroon bottle works perfectly fine for me. I apply it with a Sears 9" orbital buffer, touch up the few missed spots with the wax-soaked terrycloth cover from the buffer, and let it dry for an hour or so 'til everything is hazy. Then, with a new terrycloth cover on the buffer, I buff it off and then touch up any missed spots with a full-size terrycloth towel. It all takes two, maybe three hours. And yes, it does leave a bit of whitish dust, but a couple of drivings and a few more minutes with a towel, and the dust is all gone. The protection is good for at least 4 months.

As far as black vinyl or rubber is concerned, such as around the grille, mudguards, the top of the rear bumper cover, etc., Meguiar's #40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner works wonderfully.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Welcome and congratulations mdxer46,
Don't feel bad about not having that kind of time. The most important thing in your life should be your children. Cherish them because before you know it they're grown up and out of the house. I've been using Zymol. I wash with Zymol then I wax with Zymol. Whenever someone sees it they think it's new. I've been very happy with the product and recommend it highly. I've tried other washes and waxes, never Zaino because I just refuse to devote that much time to a car, not that there's anything wrong with that. Those that do it...Power to you. Those that don't or can't Power to you too.
Good luck, enjoy the forum and post pics.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I also use Meguiars Cleaner Wax but I apply it manually and wipe it off after putting in on the entire vehicle -- can easily be done in under an hour. Results are great! Between waxings, I use Meguiars Quick Detailer (usually after a wash, but (ducking) sometimes as a waterless wash!) Sometimes I get crazy and spend an afternoon detailing a car or two, but I usually don't have the time.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great replies - thanks!

How long does the Zymol last? I've read good things about Meguiar's Gold Class Clear Coat Liquid Car Wax as well, but I've never used it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I wash my baby every week. If I can. I take her to a great car wash near my office. I wax her every three months. Actually, my wife reminded me its more like every 4 months. Now I need to correct an earlier post.

·
Registered
449 Posts
You can try the Klasse aill-in-one and sealant. The all-in-one takes about 20 minutes and then just apply the sealant, they are both really easy to wipe off. Here are the steps:
1. Wash the car
2. Apply the all-in-one
3. Apply the sealant
4. You are done
You can apply multiple coats of the all-in-one and sealant if you want. I have applied the Klasse in the garage, it is very easy to apply. The reason why I didn't go with Zaino as there are just way too many steps and the drying time for the different steps just takes too long. Guess I am just lazy and impatient.

·
Registered
52 Posts
TR-3 Resin Glaze

I have tried many of the waxes listed, and they were adequate, but the best product I have found is TR-3 Resin Glaze. It is a bit difficult to find-Checker/Kragen had it last- but worth it. It is a no-rub product, you have to "massage" it on with a soft cotton rag. An old t-shirt works great. It will remove the paint spots left from K-mart rash, as well as tar and other junk-leaving only your good paint. Let it set-up after applying for an hour or so, making sure it can't get any water on it, and then just wipe off- no rubbing! It also does wonders for older cars with oxidized paint. Even though there is no compound in it, it will remove the dead paint and only the dead paint, leaving a shine, if there is any good paint still there. I used the stuff on a '62 T-Bird with yellow paint. It was so oxidized, it looked like it was painted in a flat paint. After the TR-3, I could watch the clouds overhead reflected on the hood when driving-Very shiny! It lasts 3 to 6 months at an application in New Mexico weather. It comes in a silver and blue can and is a liquid.:1:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I sort of expected someone to come forward with some feedback on Meguiar's Gold Class Clear Coat Liquid Car Wax.

Anyone tried this?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I hear ya!!! Try Dri-Wash 'n Guard

I've been using Dri-Wash 'n Guard since 1998 and have been extremely pleased with it. Quick and easy. Works like a quality wax, but is not a wax. Quick and easy! http://www.waterless-wash.com/about.htm for the info http://www.driwashnguard.com/resources/dwguseinstructions.pdf for directions on using the product.

Can't say enough good about this stuff.

mdxer46 said:
In my heart, I am a detailer. In reality, I am a "Dad" with a new MDX (my 4th Acura) who is careful with his cars: parks at the end of the parking lot, does not let kids eat in the car, etc. My problem is that I just don't have the time to devote an afternoon to detailing the finish on my cars.

So, what's the next best thing to doing "Dawn" and the multiple Zaino applications? Is there a single coat wax/finish that will allow me to protect my MDX in a little less time?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Gold Class Clear Liquid Wax?

I too am interested in someone's feedback on this product as I am considering using it to bathe the new ride.

Please tell us your results...someone, anyone...bueller?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any feedback on the Meguiar's Gold Class Clear Coat Liquid Car Wax front?

·
Registered
110 Posts
My husband uses the Meguiar's Gold Class Clear Coat Liquid Car Wax on his black Avalanche and loves it!!!! It does give it a a mirror finish but not sure if it is quite as "mirror-like" as the zaino. Definitely not as much time involved though. The unfortunate part is I haven't been able to convince him to find time to help me putting it on my new baby:mad:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is it OK to use Zaino Z2 polish in place of a 1-step wax like Meguiar's Gold Class Clear Coat Liquid? Is it essential to do all of the steps or can you just cut right to Z2 if your car is new?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
It is always recommended to apply Z1 (or ZFX) as a 'primer' the very first time. The succesive coats of Z2 or Z5 (recommended for darker colors) will bond to it. That's what really makes it last long and gives it 'toughness'.
And then just apply the Z2 or Z5 whenever you want after that (to a clean surface, of course).
Since you are on the east coast I would recommend ZFX over Z1, it will dry much faster.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I still haven't had any time to wax/polish my new X, so this topic isn't real critical for me yet.

But, even though I am a "Dad" short on time for things like waxing cars, if my time investment in Zaino is simply washing the car with Dawn (gotta wash it anyway), applying ZFX (thanks for the info DaleB) which is supposed to go on real easy, leaving that on and applying Z2, which also is supposed to go on/come off with little effort, it might make sense to go the Zaino route. Can't argue with the reported Zaino results.

Another draw to Zaino is that subsequent applications across years of ownership are reported to be real easy/real quick - a definate plus for us "Dads". Plus, Zaino lasts much longer than "1-Step" polishes/waxes, so less need get car polishing on the agenda.

In all, if you've got a new X (no scrathes, bugs, finish issues) Zaino might be a time-saver.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
mdxer46 said:
.........if my time investment in Zaino is simply washing the car with Dawn (gotta wash it anyway), applying ZFX (thanks for the info DaleB) which is supposed to go on real easy, leaving that on and applying Z2, which also is supposed to go on/come off with little effort, it might make sense to go the Zaino route.
If you use ZFX it is mixed (a few drops per 1/2 oz) with Z2 or Z5, one step, a time saver because it illuminates the need for a separate Z1 coat on the first ever application.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the correction! It kinda makes Z2 a "1-step" polish I guess.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Talked with Sal Zaino today and now I am not clear on the way to go with Zaino.

My thought, and what I learned in this forum, was that since my X is new, I could wash it with Dawn and use ZFX with Z2 to get a good look and good protection. Again, the posts in this forum seem to support this. Not so, according to Sal.

Sal said that because my X is new, it has to be clay-bar'ed, to remove all of the contaminants on the finish, which he assures me are there. Next, use Dawn and then don't use Z2, use Z5. Geezz, Meguiar's Gold Class Clear Coat Liquid Car Wax is looking better all over again.

Any thoughts from you guys who have used Zaino in a manner similar to what I WAS going to do?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I used the Meguiars Gold Coat Liquid wax based on my oldest son's recommendation..he used it on his 02 silver Nissan Altima 3.5 SE...I used to use Meguiars Cleaner Wax on my 93 Camry and it worked fine, the Gold Coat didn't seem to produce a shine any better....I may try Zymol next..

1 - 20 of 41 Posts