Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) First, a big thank you to everyone who has posted on the website, you've been a big help.

I've waited about a year to get the MDX (had delivery last year, but had to pass on it due to economic conditions), with my second chance, I finally got the car this week!

Now that I have the car, I must agree it's a great vehicle!

Some initial thoughts (only after two days):

:) PRO:
Ride, NAVI (You should get this if you can), size, power and other inside toys.

:( CON:
Radio controls on steering wheel (my Wife's Toyota Sienna much better), no service light under hood and Gear Shifter (sticks too much)

Thanks again for everyone's postings.

Phil

(2002 GG-Ebony, Touring & Navi)

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Congratulations, and enjoy! As you can tell I am riding the fence between an '02 and an '03. If I get an '02 by May fine, otherwise I will slip in the waiting line until a 2003 is available.
I can't see waiting past June for a model that has already been on the street for 8 months.
You are to be commended on your patience. It is really paying off right now I'm sure. No service light, eh? Figured we'd never need it I guess. good thought....should be an after-market one that could be easily added.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Phil,

Great choice of color and package. I know you will enjoy your car like I do mine. My gear shifter also sticks. Sometimes it goes smoothly, sometimes not. I keep telling myself that eventually I will figure just how to move it to shift smoothly.

Dale,

If I was in your position, the choice between getting a 2002 or 2003 would depend on if they made a change on the 2003 (color or feature) that I really thought was worth the wait, rather than it just being one year newer.

Before I even knew what an MDX looked like, I was considering the Lexus RX300. In that case, I heard that the 2003 was going to add a third row, plus it was going to be a big change, so the 2002 would have been the end of the line for that look. I would not want to buy the last year before they made a major model change, nor the first year of a new model change. I ended up dismissing the Lexus anyway.

If the MDX does not get a new engine (not that it needs more power), and onl minor fixes, and you can get one in a couple of months just the way you want, it would be worth getting it now and enjoying it now. If you decide to wait for the 2003, you should make sure the dealer will indeed hold your place for a 2003 so you can get it when it comes out, not several months after.

With the number of posts you have made in the short time you have been on this wonderful MDX forum, I would be surprised you can hold out for the 2003. The enthusiam on this board is enough to get anyone to run out and get an MDX as soon as they can.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Ha Ha! You are right there. I have not been this interested in a particular vehicle for some time.
If the right color comes along I will probably jump at it. Dealer has been very fair with me. He will keep slipping me if I want right up to a 2003 which would still be around Oct./Nov. I figure.
I am limiting myself to Mesa Beige, GG, or other darker colors if we get into available colors of 2003. Only Black and White are out. White is not totally out, but a black car with a film a dirt drives me up a wall. Of course I do have time to wash it everyday!
I will know when the right car comes along. Yes, the information here is invaluable. No owner could possibly be better armed for owning an MDX than the readers and contributors of this forum. I retired recently and find this forum a real kick. You are all great, but all the same !! You just got one thing on your minds!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
"Sticky" gearshifter

I was bugged early-on by the "notchiness" of the shift lever; it was a real pain to go from any of the Ds to Park. I found that if I keep my hand off the top of the knob, and use a vertical open palm to push on the back left corner of the knob so that the push is in the "front-right" direction, WHOOSH! -- it slips up into Park as smoothly as you could wish. Give it a try.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts