Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of an aftermarket solution that makes one-piece, Audi/Volkswagon/Mercedes type switchblade key fobs ? All in one, that is?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
699 Posts
I searched the online stores at the websites of the carmakers you mentioned, looking for a picture of what you describe. No luck!

Maybe someone could post a picture or link?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
449 Posts
stumpie said:
Does anyone know of an aftermarket solution that makes one-piece, Audi/Volkswagon/Mercedes type switchblade key fobs ? All in one, that is?
I have a Volkswagen Jetta with the switchblade type key. The fob is pretty big, about 1 1/2" long and about 1/2" wide. The fob contains all the remote control functions along with the key which flips out at the touch of a button. I would think this would be pretty difficult to replicate on the acura key and fob. The acura key would have to be cut and the chip embedded into the fob along with all the controls for the remote. Sounds pretty expensive for a company to take on especially as there isn't a big market out there for this type of key fob.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,544 Posts
Picture..

jonnygoodboy said:
I searched the online stores at the websites of the carmakers you mentioned, looking for a picture of what you describe. No luck!

Maybe someone could post a picture or link?
Ask and ye shall receive.

My wifes Benz switchblade key looks exactly like this...
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
I think the switchblade keys are only a feature on the German cars, Audi, VW, Mbz, Porsche. Here's a picture of the Porsche key converted from switchblade to conventional.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,544 Posts
N_Jay said:
Isn't that the MB Infrared key, not the switch blade type?
Almost, I haven't seen anything quite like it. It seems to be a combination of the two... (I/R and switchblade). There is one other component (outside of the lock/unlock/trunk release buttons).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
DaveI said:
I think the switchblade keys are only a feature on the German cars, Audi, VW, Mbz, Porsche. Here's a picture of the Porsche key converted from switchblade to conventional.
I believe Porsche went the "other way" with the switchblade style. Apparently the switchblade style lacked sufficient sturdiness to hold up under use...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
the Mercades key pictured is an infra ignition key. The key in it only opens the glove box, so if u give your key to a valet, you take the key out so he cant open the glove box.

The switch blade key you are talking about is a rectangel box. Probably an inch by inch and a half.
The keys for Mercedes, BMW and Audi are all made by the same company.
Here are pics of the audi one. They all look pretty simillar.



I would love this for the MDX as i have 2 mercedes, one with the infra red key and one with the switch blade, and i love them so much more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts
This is what thw VW ones look like:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts
.
 

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top