Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An article on the front page of today's Philadelphia Inquirer is titled; "Motorcycle death toll soaring." The sub-title goes on with; "After falling for years, fatalities are up sharply. Is the cause bad helmets? SUV's? Experts can's say."

What pisses me off about this article is that the author put "SUV's" predominately in the title to grab attention, yet doesn't really mention them anywhere in the article. The fourth from the last paragraph mentions that the last motorcycle safety study was done in 1981. "Since then, much has changed involving motorcycles, riders, safety equipment, and more clogged roads featuring high-riding sport-utility vehicles." No proof, just speculation, typical!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Listening to KGO last week, one of the hosts was railing against SUVs...

Apparently there was a Geo Prism that was driving recklessly- he sideswipped an Acura then spun into oncoming traffic- he was broadsided by a Jeep Wrangler. All 4 occupants of the Prism were killed.

A police officer stated that 'the wrangler was so high that it created a lot of damage to the passenger compartment', contributing to the quad fatal.

The KGO host claims this is anotehr case of a deadly SUV which, had SUVs been banned, would not have resulted in a fatality.

I suppose had it been a motorcycle and not a Jeep, it would have been fine (only one dead- the motorcyclist!)

How about if it was an 18 wheeler? Ban trucks I suppose.

This host kept coming back to the centerpiece of his argument: when he drives throught San Francisco he sees all these monster SUVs- they are not being used for off-roading, and therefore should be banned. (Or made to 'not damage passenger cars in an accident'...make em lower, lighter, etc)

But nowhere in this discussion was there mention that the Prism driver was the problem.

I guess we are supposed to drive vehicles that will protect other drivers when they recklessly crash into us.

Ard

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Double post....deleted

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hmmm..

Arzoo: What isn't mentioned with the higher death tolls of motorcyclists is the increased number of licensed motorcyclists on the road. The death rate per 1000 miles ridden, I believe has declined due to increased safety courses/rider training and helmet usage. Bottom line is more bikes = more accidents. What do SUVs have to do with that? As Ardvarkus points out, it's the driver, not the vehicle!

Ardvarkus: Here in MD a few years ago a lifted Blazer hit a car and killed a couple of people. The driver of the lifted truck was well over the legal limit for alcohol. But it was the lifted truck that was blamed. NOT the drivers intoxication.

Apparently, too many people are unwilling to take responsibility or assign responsibility to a human, so they blame a machine. What about the machine's operator????

1 - 5 of 5 Posts