Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I was going on a trip to Canada, I've decided to do my first service earlier (it was a free one). I stopped at my local dealer and they took care of everything. Somewhere in Toronto I noticed on a windshield in "next oil change reminder" sticker the 5W30 indicated. I checked my receipt and sure enough they used 5W30 instead of 5W20. When I got back home, I called them right away and stopped there to change oil. Their excuse was: "We use 5W30 on all Acuras for better winter protection" and " We only use 5W20 when asked". Now how ignorant is that? Even the oil dipstick says 5W20. Anyway, do you guys think it would have effect on engine in a long run? I put 1600 ml in the last 7 days before I changed oil back.

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
I don't think there was any damage done to your engine, relax.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Harmless but EXTREMELY annoying...

I personally find this carelessness VERY troubling.

Suppose I had a $3000 wristwatch in for servicing at an authorized jeweler. I pick up the watch, slip it on and go about my day. Later I am looking at the invoice and it says "inject mechanism with WESSON". WHAT THE!?!

An MDX is more than 10x the cost, probably won't last NEARLY as long, yet the dealer staff REALLY needs to refine their perspective!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts