Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with the colder weather rolling in, I expected lower pressures, however the TPMS is reading cold pressures of 32 psi all around, while my trusty hand/analog manometer is reading 29 all around, and the TPMS of my other two cars is correlating with the hand meter

At 35 on the hand meter, the TPMS is reported 39psi cold

Anyone else just go by the acura's TPMS reading, or trust their handheld meter?

Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
don't. I went to a tireshop asking them to put 42psi all around. I saw them did it. but my 16 mdx shows 41 for FL/FL and 38 for FR/RR when cold, but after driving it for like 5 mins, all 4 show 41psi.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
My TPMS pressures correspond with my tire pressure gauge so I trust the TPMS on mine. I didn't just trust the TPMS implicitly - I made sure I validated it with a separate gauge. If I was to see a disparity like you're seeing I'd get another tire pressure gauge and believe whichever combo has about a 2 out of 3 result. It's always possible your gauge could be bad.

I went to a tireshop asking them to put 42psi all around
I stick with the factory spec of 35 psi. I don't think it's a good idea to go outside of factory spec on tire pressure since they can apply actual engineering practices to determine the optimal tire pressure for the particular vehicle, which has a lot of variables in weight, size, suspension, steering, and tires whereas an individual tends to go higher or lower for some perceived benefit that's not based on engineering for the particular vehicle. Making the pressure higher or lower can result in abnormal wear which means a shortened life and more dangerous tire and can negatively impact handling and load bearing capacity. Of course, Ford lost our confidence when they purposely underinflated tires which caused accidents so what I just stated needs to have some common sense applied to it (which was missing in the Ford incident).

·
Registered
69 Posts
a few more psi gives better handling and probably better mpg, but a little more bumpy. Coming from a BMW, the MDX is actually on the soft side to me. I wish they have a Sport+ or Custom IDS

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
My Acura service manager told me to use tpms as a warning of low tire pressure instead of a guide for optimal PSI. Living at +5200 ft, the tpms is off compared to a sea level calibrated gauge. I treat my PSI as a range instead of set pressure because it changes so much because of:

- altitude
- temperature in the morning compared to the afternoon
- which side of the car is exposed to the sun when sitting
- how hot the road is when driving

I set 3-5 PSI higher in winter because the temps usually causes it to stay the same or go down. I set about 1-3 PSI higher in the summer because it can jump 5-8 PSI because of the +100 temps. I have to factor in the type of tires, driving habits, location, road conditions, how you use your vehicle, normal PSI leakage, and ride dynamic I prefer.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got a good digital meter and it was consistent perfectly with tpms

I have ditched that old analog meter

Great advice and thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts