Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am assuming that we are to treat the charcoal colored deflectors (I guess that's what they are) in the front and rear under the bumpers as any other painted surface. Meaning - to Zaino or not to Zaino - that is the question!;)

Also, does everyone Zaino the wheels? Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
250 Posts
X'Mom..

I put Zaino on the charcoal colored things and the wheels. I assumed it was ok to put the Zaino on the charcoal colored things...

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
You generally want to avoid putting waxes (or Zaino) on textured plastic. I don't bother w/the z2 or z5 on those pieces -- but I do squirt 'em w/z6 for some UV protection.

Zaino (z2/5/6) on the wheels works great. Super shine and it makes the brakedust easier to get off.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Worm!

Since I got "Zainofied" (largely as a result of your pictures), I wanted to do it right! I will try the Z6 on the "thing-a-ma-jigs" and Z2 on the wheels.

By the way, since I started the Zaino on a new, white vehicle - will there come a time when I will need to switch to Z5 or should I alternate just to help prevent swirling?

Thanks so much for your input!:D

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Visible swirls are pretty uncommon on white (the lighter the car, the less problem w/swirls). You'll probably be able to get away with just z2. But if you want to prevent them, then alternating or a z5 for every 2 z2's is plenty.

If you actually end up seeing them under the garage lights, you usually need to do a couple of coats of z5 to make them go away.

White's sooooo forgiving -- I doubt you'll have any problems :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Worm,

What exactly causes swirls. If I do the 100% cotton towels and wash myself and watch out for stitching on the towels, etc, wont this prevent swirls?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
This explanation is from Meguiar's:

Swirl marks are actually microscopic scratches in the finish. These are often caused by the use of a buffer with the wrong type of polishing pad and/or wax/polish. Automatic car washes also can cause swirls, especially on clear coat paints. Another culprit is hand application or removal of product using a harsh material, or pads and cloths that have picked up micro abrasives from falling on the ground or improper storage. To avoid swirls, thoroughly wash all dirt particles from your finish before applying polish or wax. And always use a 100% terry cloth towel, because its nap draws any contaminants on the surface up into the towel instead of letting them scratch the sensitive paint.

Here's a snippet from Modern Car Care

Because of contrast and reflectivity, dark-colored vehicles exhibit swirl marks more readily than light colors--yet these painted surface imperfections can be the same. There are a couple of different types of swirl marks. First, what is commonly referred to as "spider webbing" is a condition characterized by small, shallow scratches. These are usually caused by tiny abrasive dust and dirt particles that do not pre-rinse off when the vehicle is washed by hand or machine, which are then moved along the surface of the paint. The results are hairline scratches. Even when a vehicle is driven, some of these airborne particles can hit portions of the painted surfaces, leaving tiny scratches.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Charcoal colored deflectors ... in the front and rear under the bumpers

'X MOM said:
I am assuming that we are to treat the charcoal colored deflectors (I guess that's what they are) in the front and rear under the bumpers as any other painted surface. Meaning - to Zaino or not to Zaino - that is the question!;)

Also, does everyone Zaino the wheels? Any help would be appreciated!
I'm wondering if anyone has considered painting the "charcoal colored deflectors...in the front and rear under the bumpers" either BLACK or to match??? I think I saw a white MDX that painted them black to match the side steps and the other black accessories. I couldn't quite tell because of the lighting.

I've been tossing around the idea of painting those "thing-a-ma-jigs" black...
:confused:

·
Registered
327 Posts
MDXLNT,

From your avatar, it looks like your dog is a Golden. My girl is 16 months and looks like an identical twin to yours. P.S., does MDXLNT stand for "Golden Lint in MDX"? :2:

BTW, I'm thinking of painting those bumber things black.

·
Registered
89 Posts
R Stevens said:
MDXLNT,

From your avatar, it looks like your dog is a Golden. My girl is 16 months and looks like an identical twin to yours. P.S., does MDXLNT stand for "Golden Lint in MDX"? :2:

BTW, I'm thinking of painting those bumber things black.
R Stevens,

We found Sierra's twin! Actually our Golden is now 27 months, but I believe I took that pic at 9 months or so.

Thanks for your feedback on the black "thinga-ma-jigs, bumper things"... I'm taking a quick trip down to San Diego for th e weekend, but may try the "black" when I return. I'll be sure to post pics if I'm brave enough. This is almost as tough as drilling holes for the rear tail deflector. :eek:

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Meguiar's #40 Rubber and Vinyl Protectant also works fine on the thingamajigs, as well as on the black top of the rear bumper and the black surfaces in the grille.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Front Bumper Things Painted (After)

Used Rust-oleum "Black Night Metallic", after using a black primer (the Duplicolor peeled and bubbled up like crazy):

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts