Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 MDX and have been getting the warning light for the oil coming on and off randomly for a while now. Finally the local mechanic changed the sensor today, however I saw the light blink on and off already a couple times this evening.

I've read about other people having this problem and there was a service bulletin about replacing the oil pressure switch. Would the oil pressure switch be the same thing as the sensor? Also would there be any additional steps needed (software upgrade, etc) for a 2009 that would be needed to fully resolve the problem?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,338 Posts
Yes.. There is no switch just a sensor and its a common fail among Hondas (Send a miss-Low Pressure Code).. Mechanic should have changed the sensor which 99% fixes the problem. The other 1% is a failing Oil Pump or Bad Cable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good info, thanks. One thing to note is that 99% of the time when I saw the light blink on and off is when the car was stopped, at a traffic light or stop sign, mainly when the car was on a level or downward slope. I didn't see it happen much if the car was stopped on an incline. While driving I rarely saw it blink.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
My additional comment, for this and any other possible electrical issue or gremlin, would be that if you even think, suspect or otherwise have any reason to doubt your battery, just change it despite what any testing tells you.

18 months ago we planned a trip driving from Atlanta to Chicago and points in-between for a week over Thanksgiving. I had my 2007 MDX checked out at a very good Acura Dealer including a battery test. I was given the printout from what I have to assume is an excellent machine. It said the battery was fine. Long story short - car wouldn't start after stopping for gas between Chicago and St. Louis. Got a jump, drove to St. Loius and AAA tested it (bad) and changed it out.

From my personal experience and countless similar stories I've read on this and other MDX boards (I've owned an MDX for 6 or 7 years and a TL for 12), a low battery can cause a number of odd symptoms.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just saw the problem again repeatedly when the car was stopped at stop signs and would go away once driving. Spoke to the mechanic (and his partners) and they said there is an internal "level" as well that would need to be changed. Sound familiar to you guys?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for the bulletin and for pointing out that the problem only happens at low idle. I knew the issue primarily only happened when I stopped the car however I never realized that those were the times when idle was low. I will bring that to my mechanic's attention. The sensor/switch outlined in the bulletin was already replaced so at this point it must be something else.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top