Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any technical owner out there know if I'll be ok using 0w-40 in the MDX? I know it specified 5w-20, but I have two of the 5quart Castrol Synthetic EuroBlend jug from my other car and if I can use it in the MDX it'll be good. If not, then I'll just get 5w-20.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I am also considering a HDEO 0/5w40 [e.g. - Mobil Delvac 1] just because of high detergent content in order to try and clean the varnish deposits from the previous owner, but i havent made the jump yet..

Is your DX still under warranty.. if -yes.. then I would hesitate to use your Euroblend, if - no.. then IMO you can probably blend it 50/50 with another Castrol 0/5w20 product.. should be just fine..

my 2c
J.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
This has been discussed before.
Acura does not recommend anything below 5W-20 you can use whatever you like in your car but technically it is all pure guess...

If Acura (The designers of the engine) Says NO.. You are driving into the unknown by trying something else.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
good point skirmich - I thought I'll ask first, rather than assuming that oil is oil - plus silvrmdx just reminded me about warranty which my car is still under warranty, so I'll just do what's recommended for now.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I am one of those that believe that OIL and its properties define what can be used in the engine and always second guess what the Manufacturer might say due to covering some inefficiencies in their design *COUGH BURN OIL COUGH* because of liability = warranty = MONEY..

But it seems to be a general consensus that the special development of the J37 lead to recommending the type of oil it needs specifically and why Acura has stuck with the designated oil instead of moving on to upgrade the oil use (My TL-S J32A2 was upgraded to the 0W-20 Standard), Perhaps Acura know that using a thinner oil might cause some issues in the J37 and decided it was the best route not to upgrade it.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
That is what i am using for last 20k miles. It is one of the best oils around.
Should be made in Germany too.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I find that my 11 MDX runs hotter using the recommended 5w20 grade. I've use Castrol Edge 0w40, but my MDX did not like it. I dont know the technical term to explain but I felt the engine seemed to glide/slip. Granted, I drained it after 100-200 mi. Recently, I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w40. It is the best oil I've used in my MDX. There is no gliding/sliding effect like Castrol 0w40. This PUPP 0w40 is tight and smooth, quiet, run cool, gas mpg is equal or better than 5w20.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I usually blend 50/50 5w20 and 5w30 of Penzoil Platinum, and sometimes I will go a little more on the 5w30 side especially during summer.
I am slowly switching to the Ultra Plat [now thats its readily available ] as I deplete my stash of PP.
Both my TL and DX runs super nice on this oil..

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Never cared to use 5W-20 on the X, here in SoCali is all 5W-30 or more in the summer.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Never cared to use 5W-20 on the X, here in SoCali is all 5W-30 or more in the summer.
Living in SAN, [ took the family there for a X-mas vacay.. LOVED it..!!] there is no way I would run xW20... 5w30 at the very least... I just cant wrap my mind around a 305hp engine on a 20 weight... but thats just me...

·
Registered
48 Posts
We have used PP Platnium and Ultra but lately I just take it to Acura and let them use the OEM oil. I am in Canada so the thinner oil is nice for the winter. Summer is arguable whether we should go thicker.

·
Registered
162 Posts
We have used PP Platnium and Ultra but lately I just take it to Acura and let them use the OEM oil. I am in Canada so the thinner oil is nice for the winter. Summer is arguable whether we should go thicker.
well... choice is yours.... the previous owners of my DX took it for regular OCI at the dealer... on schedule - on time... i have the records to show... and OEM oil did nothing to impress me....

endoscope pics show an important amount of varnish... I was NOT impressed.. I have been trying to remove this crud ever since..

If you wish to pay the -heavy- premium for full synth at a dealer , be my guest... but regular OEM oil just doesnt cut it..
my 2c
J.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts