Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently passed the oil consumption test with flying colors (1qt lost in 900 miles). As expected, the dealership served up a menu for add-on services. My question is specifically related to their recommendation to "reseal the oil pump" for $425. My 2010 MDX has 100k miles and I plan to keep it for another 5 years so will probably hit 150k miles in that time. Similar to the timing belt, is this a worthwhile investment while they are in there?

Apart from the oil pump reseal, here are the other services they are offering. I'm most likely going to do the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, serpentine belt as all are needed anyway. I last did the spark plugs at 73k miles so figure I can wait on that.

Valve adjusted/spark plugs: $345
Timing Belt, Serpentine Belt, Tensioner (not sure "which tensioner" they are talking about here, but I'll need to ask): $177
Water Pump: $368

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
You can only replace the oil pump seal after removing the timing belt and the oil pan, so if there's no leak, I would leave it as is and only do it during the next timing belt.

The prices you quoted are a bit weird. For example, the cost of replacing Timing belt, Serpentine Belt, Tensioner (hydraulic timing belt tensioner) looks too low, although I'm not sure if you just mentioned the parts cost. But then the water pump cost of 368 doesn't make sense.

Can you clarify exactly what that means?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can only replace the oil pump seal after removing the timing belt and the oil pan, so if there's no leak, I would leave it as is and only do it during the next timing belt.

The prices you quoted are a bit weird. For example, the cost of replacing Timing belt, Serpentine Belt, Tensioner (hydraulic timing belt tensioner) looks too low, although I'm not sure if you just mentioned the parts cost. But then the water pump cost of 368 doesn't make sense.

Can you clarify exactly what that means?
I agree, I thought those prices looked a bit strange. They include parts and labor and are directly from the dealership price sheet they created for anyone doing the oil consumption repair service.

I don't know a lot about the steps for the oil consumption service, so it is hard for me to break down the "additional labor" cost for these add on services. For example, if the timing belt already has to come off and go back on, then shouldn't any incremental charge just be the timing belt product cost? I suppose the tensioner would be extra labor.

Not sure about the water pump... I assume that is pretty fast to pull out and put the new one in... but now that I'm typing this I recall the service rep mentioning a coolant change too... but not sure why they wouldn't list that on the price list as I could then rationalize how they get to $368.

When I talk to them on the phone I'll have to get a more detailed breakdown to narrow in on costs as I just changed my own coolant 5k miles ago.

Thanks for the advice on the oil pump reseal.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
For example, if the timing belt already has to come off and go back on, then shouldn't any incremental charge just be the timing belt product cost? I suppose the tensioner would be extra labor.
Yeah, it should be extra work, but not a significant one. I think it's fair to add an hour on top of just removing and reinstalling the belt itself if they are replacing the tensioner, pulleys and the water pump (which they should).

Not sure about the water pump... I assume that is pretty fast to pull out and put the new one in
It is pretty fast, although you would need to add coolant and burp the system after, so another 10-15 minutes.

When I talk to them on the phone I'll have to get a more detailed breakdown to narrow in on costs as I just changed my own coolant 5k miles ago.
That makes sense. Having a comprehensive and transparent list is definitely helpful to make sure they are not missing anything while they are there.

Thanks for the advice on the oil pump reseal.
NP! If you are planning to use the car for another 5 years and your timing belt is due or has to come off, I would definitely recommend resealing the pump at the same time even if there are no leaks or major leaks. That will save you a lot of headache after.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Also looking to get timing belt/water pump replacement done in conjunction with the (approved) oil consumption repair. Dealer estimate for parts & labors comes out to:
-timing belt $127.28
-tensioner $223.73
-water pump $234.75
-drive belt $74.21
-spool filter $25.17
-oil housing gasket $5.51
-brake cleaner $7.01
+ 4 hours of labor at $145.00 an hour.
+misc. shop supplies and taxes. Total price will be in the neighborhood of $1500 to have this work done in conjunction with the warrantied oil consumption repair.

I'm no expert, but the price markup on the parts seems excessive (using www.acurapartsnow.com and bernardi for price comparisons), even for a dealership in the DC-Northern Virginia region . Likewise the labor estimate of 4 hours for the water pump, oil pump seal and tensioner seems exaggerated since the engine will already be "opened up" for the oil consumption repair.

Not sure what I can do about the parts prices as these guys are shameless when I point out the excessive markups. Anyone with similar work done that can offer insights in to how many hours of labor were charged for your repairs?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Get the pulleys replaced at the same time with the TB. USD $600 seems way excessive for additional labour. They will be removing most of that stuff anyway. I would say extra $250 is the best I could offer to pay extra for labour. And, of course, get the original parts elsewhere for about 2/3s of what they are offering you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts