Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My wife has an 2007 MDX and have not been pleased with it since the beginning. Anyway here are the facts:

- Car is well maintained and mostly driven mostly short distances on a daily basis (~5 miles each way). Only about 12 long distance trips (over 400 miles each) in life of vehicle.
- Car has 91,000 miles with all maintenance/oil changes done on time.
- Car consumes A LOT of gas (that is about 15 miles/gallon)...Ha...I have a Ford Raptor 6.2L that gives better mileage...!

Current issue:
- Oil Life indicator shows 30% remaining but oil gage icon started to flash then stopped. On the message screen a recommendation came up regarding Check Oil.
- Checked the oil level and was OK.
- Took car to dealer to change oil.
- Dealer came back with: You need to change OIL PRESSURE SWITCH and OIL PUMP IS FAULTY. Total cost: $1,700.00.

Questions:
- Is the dealer really interested in selling me those parts + labor instead of looking for other real causes...like maybe forming of oil sludge (that can be removed much easier and less costly)?
- Is there anything I can do to figure out if dealer is right or not?
- If oil sludge is the problem - how can I clean it?
- Did anybody else experience the same situation and what was the solution?

Appreciate any feedback that is direct related to solving this problem.

GT-NOVA

·
Registered
137 Posts
The oil pressure switch is a common problem and not difficult to change by yourself. The cost is minimal as well so I would start with that. I changed mine in about 30-45 minutes. I used a deep well socket (7/8" I believe) to remove and replace. There is a TSB that some posted on this forum. Let me know if you cannot find it by searching.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I can see a Raptor doing better on mpg assuming it's driven more than five miles at a time. That's about the worst possible conditions you can drive, unless of course it's even less than five miles at a time. We have a '12 Buick in our fleet that is driven similar and it has also had to had sludge and carbon cleaned up internally. Only 15k miles on it! The dealer used a machine and it was about $300.

I can't help on diagnosing the switch/pump but it's certainly possible on a 10yo vehicle with that kind of use. If they've tested it and state that it needs replaced I guess your only option is to get a second opinion from an independent shop. The price would most likely be considerably less.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both that responded.

I have been in contact with the local Acura dealership and they said that they will not do anything, but Acura Regional Manager approved a 50% discount for the replacement of the Oil Pressure Switch. I am NOT pleased with this decision as I expected this to be covered 100%. I found the TSB that clearly indicates this item is faulty and needs to be replaced. Replacing the Oil Pressure Switch by myself does not look like a DIY job and I would rather have a professional do it. I have dealt with this dealership for 15+ years and bought several cars from them - and at this moment I am pissed as they do not want to have any part in this. I no longer want to spend money on this car. What happens if I do not have replaced this Oil Pressure Switch?

Here is my question: If there is a TSB that clearly confirms the Oil Pressure Switch is faulty and needs replacement who is really responsible to notify the customer and do the repair? In my case this TSB is from 2009...and yes we had Oil alerts at that time too - but no mention about a TSB - so that the job be covered by the dealer. Is this a Dealer problem of NOT handling their customers properly or Acura's?

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
A failure of the low oil pressure switch is a KNOWN problem that is covered by a TSB. In warrantee Acura will replace, out of warrantee I would accept the 50% discount or do it myself.

On the oil pump issue ask the dealer what the actual oil pressure reading was. The Shop Manual states a minimum of 10 psi at idle and around 70 psi at 3000 rpm. If it meets those ballpark readings then the oil pump is ok.

·
Registered
65 Posts
A TSB is not the same as a recall. As samc777 said, a TSB will be covered by warranty if your vehicle is still under warranty, which yours isn't due to age and mileage...unless you purchased it as a CPO car, in which case I believe the powertrain warranty is extended. If your vehicle isn't under any kind of warranty, then you're stuck with the bill if you have the TSB done. I just had this issue with a squealing noise from under the hood of my '10 MDX. There was a TSB on it, but because it no longer is under warranty, I had to pay to have it done. If Acura is offering to give you a 50% discount on the oil pressure switch, then you're doing better than I did.

·
Registered
798 Posts
50% is very generous of Acura in an out-of-warranty situation IMO.

Oil pressure switches go out quite often and are common in many other manufacturers as well.

I would either take the discount or find a good Indy but it will probably be about the same either way.

I don't know the book time off the top of my head but I don't think it should be more than a couple hours max.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts