Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does the oil life monitor work? Does it go by the miles driven or does it actually sense whether the oil is dirty enough for changing? What % do you guys change the oil?

·
Registered
895 Posts
It monitors things like cold starts, time the engine runs at below normal operating temp, time operating at normal temp, etc., to determine how much wear has occurred on the oil and it is set for the recommended oil. If regular oil or syn blend is specified and you choose to run full syn the oil life monitor doesn't recognize that and will continue to calculate oil life based the manufacturers specified oil type.

·
Registered
187 Posts
How does the oil life monitor work? Does it go by the miles driven or does it actually sense whether the oil is dirty enough for changing? What % do you guys change the oil?
I do a lot of over the road, long distance driving, so I sometimes have to anticipate where I am going to be and change it early, sometimes as early as 20%. If I am going to be physically situated so that I am around town I run it to 0%. I normally use full synthetic as opposed to synthetic blend.

I changed oil on my hybrid 2K miles ago. I took the car to the dealer for a warranty issue last week. When I went to pick it up the dealer proudly announced that they had changed oil and rotated tires. I had ordered neither. Now I don't have Mobil 1 and a $12 filter. I have whatever they use for oil and their $3 filter. Bummer:

"...
But, Mousie, thou art no thy lane
In proving foresight may be vain:
The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft a-gley,
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promised joy."

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
The oil life monitor works with the maintenance reminder also. Changing your oil is the main way to get you into the dealership for the the maintenance items 1-6 that follow the A or B service.

I have +425,000 miles between my three Acura and stuck with the M.I.D. reminder for my oil changes. I too sometimes change my oil early if I'm going on a long road trip and don't want the 15%-0% reminder message at every start-up for +1000 miles on my 11 MDX (average about 9000 miles between changes with Mobil 1).

The only downside with my older Acura with changing your oil before the 15% warning is you don't get to see 1-6 services associated with the A or B oil service. If I reset the oil reminder at 20%, I also reset the 1-6 service also without seeing it. I have a smartphone app I use to track all services and do any 1-6 service that is also close to being due if I'm +20%.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yup and it really is amazing, too. Some people get 7-9k oil changes going by the Mid. Living in the city I usually get 3-4k miles as I am constantly in stop and go traffic with heavy idling.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
mrgold35 - What app do you use to do this tracking?
I only do about 25% of the maintenance at the dealership and the rest is at home or local repair shops. Hard to keep track of 3 vehicles with +425,000 miles between them without having to write things down like was it a rotation or cross rotation 8 months ago? It is iPhone app that is synced to my Dropbox account called Road Trip: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/road-trip-mpg/id298398207?mt=8

I have the app on our iphones and ipad and it updates all devices with any changes. You can keep track of your fuel stops, any vehicle related cost, track maintenance, road trips data, total cost per mile, mpg data, set reminders, etc... I've been using this app since 2012

·
Registered
35 Posts
2018 MDX Hybrid. Mine clips off 10% with every 1000 miles. Yesterday hit 7000 miles and Maintenance Minder went to 70%.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
On my 2014 I hit 0% once on a coast to coast and back trip - it hit 0% at almost exactly 10,000 miles - so it seems to be about 10% per 1K miles give or take somewhat based on whatever variables they use in the equation, which I don't think any of us here actually know.

·
Registered
895 Posts
On my 2014 I hit 0% once on a coast to coast and back trip - it hit 0% at almost exactly 10,000 miles - so it seems to be about 10% per 1K miles give or take somewhat based on whatever variables they use in the equation, which I don't think any of us here actually know.
My answer posted in the first response to this thread comes from a conversation I had with an engineer at the Chicago Auto Show circa 1998. I don't recall who all had MID's in place at that point, but Ford definitely did and you can bet every other auto maker that added it used the same type of logic and algorithms. Once an engine is warmed up and at it's normal operating temp very little wear occurs, especially cruising along at highway speed with the engine in the low 2000 rpm range. Add a towing scenario locking out O/D and bumping the rpm's into the low to mid 3000 range and the engine runs hotter naturally eating up the oil life faster. The ECM is programmed to keep track of all that and advance the MID schedule accordingly. Both simple and complex at the same time. During development they ran MID's in test track cars and tested oil samples on regular intervals to dial in the MID. Granted, auto manufacturers are always toeing the line between making the car last forever and wanting them to break so they can sell parts, service, and new cars.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
^^ I'd expect some of the variables would be run time, RPM during the run time, temperature, number of stop/starts possibly although they may have had to play with this last one for the hybrid, like maybe eliminate the variable assuming it was one in the first place.

My 10K run was largely comprised of cruising the freeway on the big trip, so pretty ideal,but I've noticed that it's generally running roughly 10% per 1K miles. I'd expect a more noticeable reduction in oil mileage if there were lots of cold starts.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
2018 MDX Hybrid. Mine clips off 10% with every 1000 miles. Yesterday hit 7000 miles and Maintenance Minder went to 70%.
I’m confused. Based on what you said,at 7,000,shouldn’t you be showing 30%?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Remember guys the MID is counting for OEM OIL ONLY!!!!!!! It is tuned for the HONDA STUFF! Unless you use OEM only oil take the OLM with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I just keep resetting the MID every time it showed 10% oil life without changing oil until 10,000 mile with m1 synthetic. I probably had to reset 3 times without changing oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Have you done an oil analysis test already?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I just keep resetting the MID every time it showed 10% oil life without changing oil until 10,000 mile with m1 synthetic. I probably had to reset 3 times without changing oil.
It is 2200 miles since last oil change and it’s at 40% oil life
Why is your oil life dropping so quickly? Do you do unusual driving? Is this on a 3rd gen or is it on a 2nd gen?

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
2011 mdx advance. Have oil consumption issue. I have to top off about 1/2 quart for every 1000th mile to bring the oil back to the top line. And I drive for Lyft & Uber full time. That is the reason the oil life is accelerating so fast.

·
Registered
550 Posts
2011 mdx advance. Have oil consumption issue. I have to top off about 1/2 quart for every 1000th mile to bring the oil back to the top line. And I drive for Lyft & Uber full time. That is the reason the oil life is accelerating so fast.

Oil consumption is a symptom of motor issues. Could be anything from valve seals to rings. But guaranteed, you have motor problems.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts